Characters concepts.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Characters concepts.

hey, i am currently having a bit of an argument over this. as my gm is criticizing every single idea i come up with. and it is really putting me down and causing a lot of frustration for me. so i just want to hear what you guys have to say on my ideas. are they too convoluted for a person who was just recently embraced. or is my dm being to much of a stick in the mud.

the first one is a plastic surgeon who recently rose to fame in town. he did this by his amazing skill, his innovated ideas and he has a bit of a heart of gold. but because he became popular so quickly and so fast. he made quite a few enemies. including a local organization of plastic surgeons which he was drawing business away form. the FDA due to him being vocal about experimenting and very unorthodox methods of body alterations. his exe girlfriend who is trying to extort money form him under fake rape charges.

after he was embraced thou he pretty much went into seclusion as he tried to understand what he became. meanwhile the media had a firestorm as they tried to figure out why he vanished and closed up shop. he didn't reappear until he meet up with 2 coworkers who he revealed to be a vampire. and proposed creating a new underground practice. where he uses vissitute to grant people their deepest desires manifested in flesh.

the next one was a bit of a revamp of the first. where instead of playing this man with a heart of gold. i was thinking of playing this egotistical plastic surgeon. who plastered himself all over the city. as your typical if you not pretty so you aint anything. so come down so i can make you pretty. well he had such a ego that he wound up getting fired due to malpractice. he thought he could preform a surgery without any gloves on. and he was fired because of it.

shortly after he was embraced by a Nosferatu. this sent him into shock as he realized how much of a monster he became. and instead of just going crazy, he acualy became a better person. he now seeks to promote his new ideal. that in order to truly accept yourself. you need to allow your inner desires to manifest in physical form. so now he intends to promote his new religion. and create a cult of those who has accepted their inner desires manifested into physical form.

last and most drastic of a departure. was an idea of creating this rich occult nut. who lives on his parents money. and was embraced because he found a artifact that had some value to the local vampires. but after he was embraced he wound up going into a frenzy and killing his parents. but this did not hinder him as he was fighting for the past year. his parents wanted him to take up the family business. and he wanted to continue his studies into the occult. so he wound up killing them selling the family company and enjoying the freedom that came with it.

so i got to ask, are these bad character concepts? are they to complicated or hard to follow? do you think that the events that happened to them had no meaning? dose these story lack to much focus?

Well, personally i wouldnt allow this concepts in my games because they dont sound like real people. The first one is this surgeon who happens to have fame but also a heart of gold, but also a ton of enemies. And his embrace and disappearance also is sorta of a masquerade breach. So game starts and as DM i already have to push all this issues on the forefront.

The second one is passable though i really do doubt that plastic surgeons are that popular to be known by name with billboards but whatever, the only problem i can see really is that maybe the DM dont wants to deal with your new cult or that the idea of operating without gloves is more silly than hubristic.

Third one is too neat. So he found an important vampire object but instead of just killing him and take the object a vampire uses his political means to secure an authorize embrace and uses on him. He kills his parents and takes his money and nobody bats an eye at their disappearances.?

Comment

I'll echo what Loki said, it's too much work up front for the first two.

For me as either a player or someone running the game it causes way too many headaches, especially if it's a coterie game. The ST in me doesn't see any of these concepts getting along with a group and the player says they are not worth the baggage they bring with them.

Comment

That first one is kind of abhorrent; tossing out false rape accusation as a major character trait is ten different sorts of tasteless. The second one is literally the plot of Doctor Strange. The third is a bizarre homicidal manchild?

None of these feel like real people, and you seem oddly keen on playing folks who start the game dangerously unhinged, instead of actually allowing for the entire arc of Humanity loss in the face of Kindred unlife. That spiral is the beating, lifeless heart of what makes me love Vampire as a game, and you're trying to get that plot out of the way well in advance of the chronicle actually starting. Step back, go a little bit lighting on the backstory, and make a normal human being, not occult Batman or a cult-starting gloveless plastic surgeon.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

In addition to comments others have made, there's a lot of worldbuilding implicit in these backstories, which might come into conflict with the setting your ST has developed.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

i kind of like these ideas and i dont get what you mean by there not real people there intristing i want to see the hardships he faces normal humens are boring its about the unique characters larger then life guys that bring something i would never play some normal guy when he can have characters plus i dont see it as a game of humanity loss thats boring maybe fun but cant have "oh im losing my humanity oh no" i dont think if your becoming something else its a bad thing i dont see vampires as monsters but thats just me

Comment

Concept 1: Plastic Surgeon Mafia cracks me up
              Concept 2: So from surgeon he does 180 and turns into cult leader? Uhhuh
              Concept 3: How do you even get away with stuff like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Ameraaaaaa View Post
                i kind of like these ideas and i dont get what you mean by there not real people there intristing i want to see the hardships he faces normal humens are boring its about the unique characters larger then life guys that bring something i would never play some normal guy when he can have characters plus i dont see it as a game of humanity loss thats boring maybe fun but cant have "oh im losing my humanity oh no" i dont think if your becoming something else its a bad thing i dont see vampires as monsters but thats just me
                It makes it a little tough to parse your posts when it's all one running block of uncapitalized text without punctuation, but if I'm reading this right I have to disagree. What makes Vampire fun to me is that the protagonists are "normal humens" who are forced through circumstance to make extraordinary choices. How would someone like you or me cope with dark, violent urges and a hunger that doesn't stop? What are you willing to do to stay alive for another night? How do you react to the monsters that you're now Kindred with, to their bizarre rituals and monstrous actions?

That core relatable humanity is why I like CofD over so many other games: it's about any one of us, not superstar surgeons who become cult leaders.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

It makes it a little tough to parse your posts when it's all one running block of uncapitalized text without punctuation, but if I'm reading this right I have to disagree. What makes Vampire fun to me is that the protagonists are "normal humens" who are forced through circumstance to make extraordinary choices. How would someone like you or me cope with dark, violent urges and a hunger that doesn't stop? What are you willing to do to stay alive for another night? How do you react to the monsters that you're now Kindred with, to their bizarre rituals and monstrous actions?

That core relatable humanity is why I like CofD over so many other games: it's about any one of us, not superstar surgeons who become cult leaders.
                  I agree to a point. I doubt average joes become vampires often and there is no problem with expectionaly skilled surgeon or artist becoming a vampire. It just requires some work to make that character fit inside the world game takes place in and seem plausible. enough. Problem with OPs character concepts is that they do come off as a bit snowflakey

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

that can beintristing for a bit but then i think as a player your character (unliss your character wuold not) embrace it you know humens are able to change thats one of what makes humens humens

Comment

Originally posted by Orzhov View Post

I agree to a point. I doubt average joes become vampires often and there is no problem with expectionaly skilled surgeon or artist becoming a vampire. It just requires some work to make that character fit inside the world game takes place in and seem plausible. enough. Problem with OPs character concepts is that they do come off as a bit snowflakey
                      i think to an limit theres nothing wrog with being snowflaky

Comment

Originally posted by Ameraaaaaa View Post
                        i kind of like these ideas and i dont get what you mean by there not real people there intristing i want to see the hardships he faces. Normal humans are boring, its about the unique characters larger then life guys that brings something i would never play some normal guy when he can have characters plus i dont see it as a game of humanity loss thats boring maybe fun but cant have "oh im losing my humanity oh no" i dont think if your becoming something else its a bad thing i dont see vampires as monsters but thats just me
                        Well, i get it. "Woe is me, a monster i become" is not for everyone. Personally i never like to deal with human family/friends/secret identity when i play and i make that clear to the DM before the game starts.

And if the OP wants to play that, then with a little tweaking character concept 3 could work:

"Rich occult nut and was embraced by one of the Covenants. After he was embraced he wound up going into a frenzy and killing his parents and thus now it indebted to the covenant to make it look like an accident. Now he got his parent inheritance which its also an asset to the covenant he has to look after"

Now with some tweaks, that concept is more workable, you got actual consequences for what happened. And a tie to the character to the vampire society.

Comment

Concept 1 is Sean McNamara from Nip Tuck.
                          Concept 2 is Stephen Strange from Marvel Comics.
                          Concept 3 is the background of the cast and summary of the overarching plot of the Friday the 13th series.
                          OR
                          It reads like a flimsy justification for your character to have Fame, Striking Looks, Resources 4-5, and Herd 4-5, several skills at 4-5 right at the start in addition to whatever other merits your character has because your ST requires a background explanation for skills and merits above 3.
                          Save the massive fame bit, personally I'd allow any of the concepts but not every ST likes characters who are blatant ripoffs of preexisting characters.
                          Your character might be too detailed but not with anything your ST wants to incorporate or has elements that are key features he wants to incorporate himself but not have the players having a reason to be connected to at the start. (Ie. People are disappearing because a cult controlled by a Dragon is kidnapping them so he can ritualistically mutilate and murder them for shits and giggles. The coterie is supposed to identify and neutralize.)
                          Have you asked your ST for a chronicle setting or domain description. Those concepts may not work in a smaller domain. You're not going to find famous filthy rich cosmetic surgeons or antiquities dealers with an obscenely high Occult background in places like Smithfield, VA or Hershey, PA. Likewise the skill set that would come with those respective character types would not make your character particularly useful or relevant in a nomadic style chronicle.

Comment

well if your wondering about the setting. it is set in a version of newcastle city. where a new prince has risen and has given the primigen freedom to do whatever they want for 1 night. thus nothing is off the table to who or what can be embraced. to the point that they could in fact turn anyone from a hobo to the president into a vampire if they wished to.

that said, most of you seem to only go with the idea. that you have to play a boring nobody that has no past. which to be honest wouldn't make me want to play any of your games. because i like having a unique and interesting character. someone who is driven by more then his vampirism.
                            Last edited by rman88; 05-24-2017, 07:43 AM.

Comment

true and check lokis idea for number 3 its unique and interesting and

Comment

Working...
                              X