No announcement yet.

The Dragon's Path (Coil of the Ascetic)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dragon's Path (Coil of the Ascetic)

Hello. My players have made some questionable choices in their un-life so they'll be running away from the city after one last job. We talked and if they survive, we've been thinking of moving the Chronicle to Beijing. One of them is an insufferable Dragon who refuses to kill and drink human blood. They group will accompany him in his journey to find some secret coils and stuff. Anyway, I still have time to develop the city and one of the things I want to make sure is okay is this coil; it being reason for choosing this city. I'll develop the city as the reference in the book. My concerns are the following: Is the Coil balanced? Is it Fun? is it too clunky or OP, or not OP enough? Are the scales alright? Anyway, I have little to no understanding of Chinese culture but I'm going for it. Any advise for the city will also be appreciated. so, what do you think?

Mystery of the Ascetic
    The thirst for blood, the pain of hunger, the cravings of the Beast — that is Dukkha, the unsatisfying nature and desire of temporal states and things that keeps vampires from enlightening. This craving and thirst increases with time along with Blood Potency spreading the pain to others, turning the wheel of Karma until the vampire is forced through the death and rebirth of Torpor. The Mystery of the Ascetic seeks to put an end to Dukkha following the noble Path of the Dragon daring to escape the wheel of Karma.
    The Scales of the Ascetic's first objective is allowing the Dragon to be sustained by common food, and preserve blood's and Vitae's nutritional value. Procedures resemble alternative medicine such as meditational chants, acupuncture and creating miracle products which often require cadaver profanation, undead experimentation or exotic animals components. This often puts the Dragon at odds with people and organizations fond of animals or respectful of human remains.

Eliminating Desire
    A Dragon on this path is resistant to Vitae's echoing temptation and has greater endurance against the Beast's hunger than the uninitiated. The Dragon is immune to Vitae Addiction, and ignores up to half the number of dots in the Coil of the Ascetic rounded up, in Hungry and Starving penalties to Frenzy.

The Dry Fast ••
    The Dragon is capable of holding reserves for long dry periods as to never feel hunger. The Dragon can now hold one additional Vitae for each dot in the Coil of the Ascetic. The Resilience Discipline further magnifies the endurance with each dot allowing to hold another additional Vitae.

Escaping Dukkha •••
    While drinking blood is an act of indulgence, a Dragon does not despair for it. Drinking from a victim, being hungry, or watching torrents of blood flow, has little to no bearing to their behavior. The Dragon doesn't risk frenzy from triggers related to hunger or exposure to blood or Vitae and resolves the Wanton Condition while feeding.

Above The Blood Karma ••••
    All prey is equal, that is to say, beneath the Dragon, even those of unnatural origin. The Dragon may inflict The Assault or The Kiss (if so desired) on non-humans with a bite, or use Lashing Out against them, without the need to spend a Willpower point as if they were humans. Additionally, the Dragon can garner substance from humans and animals regardless of Blood Potency.

Unlife's Fulfillment •••••
    The Dragon is most satisfied with taking the life within a prey or the precious liquid that carried it. The Dragon's Blood Potency is considered 1 for the purpose of drinking cold blood and gains an additional Vitae for every 2 obtained from this source. Furthermore, taking the last point of Vitae available in living prey provides 3 additional points of Vitae to the Dragon, and does 5 points of Aggravated Damage in addition to any other damage to the victim. Finally, feeding now awards the Dragon the Sated Condition.

Sample Scales of the Ascetic

Acid Pills
    Prerequisite coil: Unlife's Fulfillment

Procedure: The Dragon makes a few pills of exotic animal bones such as elephant tusks or tiger fangs and other arcane ingredients; then, proceeds to ingest them using the Blush of Life.
    Outcome: The pill combined with the revitalization of the vampire organs produce a rapid digestion and absorption of nutrients allowing the vampire to eat normal food and break it into their Vitae without the need to vomit later. The food ingested while on the pill tastes the same as if the vampire was alive. The pill deals 2 points of Bashing Damage If they're ingested and nothing else is consumed. Taking more than one pill per day causes severe acid burn dealing 4 points of Bashing Damage for each overdose pill. Each douse works correctly for roughly an hour or until around 2 Pounds of food are consumed. If the food is raw fresh meat, ingesting 2 Pounds of it produces enough substance for 2 Vitae points: one effectively human blood, the other animal blood.

The Coal Heart
    Prerequisite coil: Above The Blood Karma

Procedure: The Dragon prepares 8 black oily substances made of 8 different animals poisons. The concoctions must be used to coat 8 needles that are injected in nerve points in the body causing a total of 4 points of Bashing Damage that the Vampire must heal expelling all the needles in the right order.
    Outcome: The Vampire's heart compacts itself becoming a hard dark mass like coal. Even while immobilized or unconscious, attempts to strike the heart are at -5 instead of -3 and must surpass an additional general armor of 2; this boons last 24 hours. The Dragon must spend a Willpower point to keep the benefits during daysleep avoiding the Cleansing. The heart may momentarily regain its medical standard size and color and loose this benefits using the Blush of Life. It'll shrink again regaining all the benefits within the 24 hours when the Dragon whishes it.

Ghoulish Mantra
    Prerequisite coil: The Dry Fast

Procedure: The Dragon must recite this mantra while in deep meditation along with a Ghoul. The process requires to breathe the fumes from burning human remains no more than a week old with mystic herbs and paper drawn symbols, inducing a strong hypnosis which forces the Ghoul's body to link itself with the vampire and transform its very core. This process is very strenuous, demanding a Willpower point from the Dragon and the Ghoul to initiate the ritual; then, the Dragon starts an extended Intelligence + Occult roll with a target of 8 successes and half an hour intervals.
    Dramatic Failure: The Vampire gets the Dependent and Swooning Conditions towards the Ghoul and the Ghoul the Anchor Condition related to a possible ghost from the burned corpse as the process recoils and end. The Storyteller is encouraged to create a vengeful ghost.
    Failure: The Vampire loses a Vitae point and gets the Stumbled Condition.
    Success: The Ghoul can now hold a number of additional Vitae equal to the Dragon's Blood Potency for an equal number of months. Add the number of dots in the Coils of the Ascetic to this sum if the Dragon has 2 or more dots in it. If the process is attempted multiple times on a single Ghoul, only the latest success remain. As a side effect, the Dragon inflicts the Mesmerized Condition on the Ghoul.
    Exceptional Success: All the normal benefits of an Exceptional Success on an extended roll, but nothing more.

I am torn, on one hand the scales are very good but on the other all the rest of the Mystery's coils could use a rewrite.

The main problem is that all their effects are passive negations of weaknesses instead of providing new abilities. It looks like a first ed. Coil in that regard.

Then adding another Discipline giving bonuses by default doesn't seems right like in the second Coil and Resilience.

Some bonuses don't scale (he!) with your progress along the Mystery in any way, you just get the best possible result by default (counting at BP 1 for cold blood consumption, for example)

I would make the powers more active and tie some of the benefits to your dots in the Mystery.

Otherwise is not a bad idea at all, and the scales are quite great.
    Last edited by Thorbes; 07-09-2017, 08:17 AM.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

I would change Dry Fast to be gaining the ability to rise each night without Vitae, taking Bashing instead, as you slowly shrivel from lack of Vitae and have the Scale based on it maintain a Ghouls status as a Ghoul through use of the Scale instead of feeding them Vitae.

It fits more thematically than gorging and basically being Vitae fat which is how it works now. Also the rewrite fits the idea of using stasis and unreason to restrict hunger.

I'd also switch the order of Escaping Dukkha and the Blood Karma. I'd also change Blood Krama to phrase it so animals and humans are treated the same for gaining Vitae and keep the Lashing out the Assault and Kiss but it doesn't cover thirst for vampire Vitae. That way it adds something new ( getting all the Lethal from an animal is a great improvement and allude to reincarnation beliefs that animals may be human on the inside) while avoiding adding the ability of another coil as a 2 for 1 deal. Also it fits the phrase "all beneath the Dragon are equal" which poetic and lovely.

With those changes you could drain inflict minimize the damage you inflict by feeding to a mere 7 lethal to animals for 14 days if you use the Vitae to heal the damage caused by the shriveling, or from empty to the point is is about to wrap around to Aggravated to being full and cpmpletely healed is 17 Lethal to animals.
      Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 07-09-2017, 10:42 AM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
      "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

First, thanks Thorbes. I had no idea how the scales would be received. It takes a burden off me.

Now, I created the coil using the other as a guide, especially the coil of the Ascendant and the blood coil of first ed. In the first dot of the ascendant, the Dragon gains immunity to daysleep and the lethargic condition. Granted, they need to use the blush of life for this but that was the foundation for mine.

I debated with the resilience discipline myself in the second dot, my foundation was the fourth dot of the ascendant granting benefits for enduring fire with resilience. Another thought was scaling it with blood potency but it was too favorable for elders and not in the hard working line of the dragons defeating a curse.

The third dot of the Ascendant granted immunity to fire and Sunlight frenzy, so I did the parallel.

Concerning the last dots, at first a I created a system of decreasing blood potency with the number of dots of the coil but it was too wordy and complicated so I just shed the limitation when they reached that point. Still, I thought the fourth dot was very proactive permitting to use willpower more effectively in aura conflicts. Also in the fourth dot of the Ascendant was when the major victory over fire was achieved so that's why I allowed the blood of animals and humans to be consumed regardless.

Comment

Pale_Crusader, I see the raising every night without vitae to be of the domain of the Mystery of the Ascendant. In this coil they've already accomplish for vampires to be active for 24 hours with one vitae. It a secret coil of mine that a 6 dot of this coil would be something like extending the blush of life effect by a number of days equal to you resolve + composure and diminishing your blood potency for the sunlight bane by one (minimun of cero). I also refrained from the raising without using vitae because it effects were minimum. I prefer the increased blood pool because it seemed like something dragons would do to coil the curse into itself. By having a bigger blood pool they'll rarely feel hunger shutting up the beast, and have vitae available for multiple purposes instead of just saving vitae for the one purpose of waking up.

Comment

Ways around the BP 6 restriction to Vampire blood are rare, and tend to be costly or hard to manage. Most Covenants that can make it less painful do so by nullifying the Blood Bond rather than allowing them to feed on non-vampires. I would consider moving that ability to the fifth dot, and/or (probably and) giving it a cost rather than making it a passive, free ability.

Comment

And the Ordo Dracul already has a way around the BP 6 restriction...sort of. Sanguinary Invigoration on pg. 159 of VtR 2e. Anything that offers a bonus of this sort needs to be at best as effective as that.

There was a coil in 1e that allowed a Kindred to feed on animals and humans without restriction. I can only imagine it was removed for good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Basilistik View Post
                Pale_Crusader, I see the raising every night without vitae to be of the domain of the Mystery of the Ascendant. In this coil they've already accomplish for vampires to be active for 24 hours with one vitae.
                I don't believe there is an existing power that allows a vampire to starve to Final Death but to continue to rise without Vitae which I am suggesting. Default vampire uses Vitae to rise each night until they run out of Vitae and then fall into Torpor until fed again.

I prefer the increased blood pool because it seemed like something dragons would do to coil the curse into itself. By having a bigger blood pool they'll rarely feel hunger shutting up the beast, and have vitae available for multiple purposes instead of just saving vitae for the one purpose of waking up.
                Having a bigger Blood pool is not really a way to "do without", or "denial of desire towards Enlightenment" it better represents gluttonous hoarding of Blood and to me seem very antithetical to being an Ascetic. Also fasting to the point it hurts and then overcoming that hunger seems to have spiritual merit compared to just eating a bunch so it takes longer to get hungry.

That's my feed back, which you asked for.

Also Maina strongly agree that getting around the need for vampire Vitae as a passive add on to a power is not good and should be removed. Shouldn't be included for free for this Coil, they want that they get around it via a Scale that is more interesting than a passive power.

ALSO: https://youtu.be/-v4R2ZcxPlA
                Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 07-09-2017, 03:08 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

I would consider giving bonuses that you can only get by having enough Vitie in you, for example dot 2 could be if you a within (Dots of Coil) of your maximin capacity Blush of Life is free and go from there, I realise you can't have everything in this coil work like that but it would give your player an incentive to live up to the coils name.

Comment

Just an idea

In 1st edition Requiem there was a Coil of Banes, Beast, and Blood. My goal with this is to try and bring the concept of a Blood Coil in line with 2nd Edition Requiem. It is also my goal to design this Mystery and Coil so that is it might work equally well for Vampires who are trying to sustain their existence with minimal vitae use and loss of human life as well as gluttonous Vampires who just want to be able to burn through as much blood as possible to enchance themselves. So in theory this Coil could have orginated in both far east vampire monestaries or the blood pyramids of Vampires of South America.

● Feast Before Famine

Regardless if the Kindred is studying this Mystery to better stave off hunger, exist upon a minimalist diet, or gorge themselves with all the Vitae avaiable to them, the first step is learning how to better control their ablity to store and maintain Vitae. While Kindred scholars may argue over what exactly Vitae is, why older kindred can store more over time while finding it harder and harder to fund suitable prey to feed upon, the Kindred who have Mastered this Coil have learned to overcome the limitations of their Blood Potency in regards to how much Vitae they can store. Add the Kindred's ranks in this coil to their Vitae Pool Maximum.

●● The Candle That Burns Twice as Bright

Regardless if the Mystery is being explored to maximize a Kindred's ablity to abuse Vitae or ti preserve Vitae, the next step upon the road to Mastery of one's own reserves is learning how to alternate one's Vitae from a slow simmer to a raging boil. While this step upon the road to Mastery over Hunger may seem counter intuitive, knowing how to master fueling one's self with the Vitae within them is a needed lesson before one can hope to understand how to fuel themselves without. Upon Mastering this coil the Kindred may now reflexively spend a point of Willpower to increase their maximum Vitae expenditure limit by their ranks in this coil for the remainder of the Scene.

●●● Control the Flow
                    While most Kindred can only recover from Aggrevated Damage during their Day Sleep, and even then slowly, the Kindred who have achieved this level of Mastery over their own Vitae know no such restriction. The Kindred who has mastered this coil can now heal Aggravated Damage as quickly as they can spend the Vitae to do so regardless of the time of day or whether or not they slumber, awake, or within the deep sleep of Torpor.

●●●● Blood from a Stone

After Mastering One's ablity to both store and burn Vitae, the next step upon the road is learning how to broaden the Kindred's options for acquiring Vitae. Regardless if you are a gluttonous monster or a stoic conservative of life, the ablity to draw Vitae from where you desire instead of simply where the Beast desires is the next step towards truely Mastering the Mystery of Vitae. Once this Coil is Mastered a Kindred may Reflexively spend a point of Willpower to either reduce their Blood Potency by their ranks in this Coil for the reminder of the scene for the purposes of Feeding Restrictions. Additional the Kindred may Spend a Vitae to temporary aquire the Merit: Unnatural Affinity for a Scene.

●●●●● Dragon Eating It's Tail, Unbroken Circle of Blood, Mind over Matter

The last step upon the road to Mastery over one's own Vitae is to learn how to sustain one's self or enchance one's self with nothing more then the strength of one's own Willpower alone. A Kindred who has mastered this Coil can now spend a point of Willpower in place of a point of Vitae whenever fueling a Disipline, Healing Damage, Awakening from Day Sleep, or anything else Vitae maybe spent to do.
                    Last edited by JMecha; 07-10-2017, 08:55 AM. Reason: Typed this hot mess up on my Cell Phone and my sausage fingers littered this post with typos

Comment

Pale_Crusader, I regret if my comments were rude or unproductive to the objective of this post. That was not my intention at all. I guess I was too eager to express my train of thought and posted some lengthy explanation of it.

To all readers, I greatly appreciate all of your critics, comments and ideas, and hope to improve from them.

After reading your posts, I wrote a new version of the coil, its not very cohesive fluff wise yet, but I'll work on that later.

Eliminating Desire
                      A Dragon on this path is resistant to Vitae's echoing temptation and has greater endurance against the Beast's hunger than the uninitiated. The Dragon is immune to Vitae Addiction, resolves the Wanton Condition while feeding, and ignores up to half the number of dots in the Coil of the Ascetic rounded up, in Hungry and Starving penalties to Frenzy.

The Dry Fast ••
                      The Dragon's body is capable of holding reserves for long dry periods as to prepare for the challenges ahead. The Dragon can now hold one additional Vitae for each dot in the Coil of the Ascetic. The Resilience Discipline further magnifies the endurance with each dot allowing to hold another additional Vitae.

Escaping Dukkha •••
                      The Dragon's learned to change into a vessel able to quickly and easily accept lesser forms of substance. While benefiting from the Blush of Life, the Dragon can garner substance from humans regardless of Blood Potency, and adds his the dots in the Coils of the Ascetic to the number of Vitae which can be drawn by performing the Feed move.

All prey is equal, that is to say, beneath the Dragon, humans, animals and even those of unnatural origin. The Dragon may inflict The Assault or The Kiss (if so desired) on non-humans with a bite, or use Lashing Out against them, without the need to spend a Willpower point as if they were humans. A t this level of mastery the Dragon can garner substance from animals regardless of Blood Potency while benefiting from the Blush of Life.

The Dragon is most satisfied with taking the life within a prey or the precious liquid that carried it. The Dragon gains an additional Vitae for every 2 obtained from cold blood. Furthermore, taking the last pint of blood available in living prey provides 3 additional points of Vitae to the Dragon, and does 5 points of Aggravated Damage in addition to any other damage to the victim. At this level of mastery, feeding awards the Dragon the Sated Condition and his Blood Potency is considered 1 for the purpose of drinking cold blood while benefiting from the Blush of Life.

Comment

The Dragon is most satisfied with taking the life within a prey or the precious liquid that carried it. The Dragon gains an additional Vitae for every 2 obtained from cold blood. Furthermore, taking the last pint of blood available in living prey provides 3 additional points of Vitae to the Dragon, and does 5 points of Aggravated Damage in addition to any other damage to the victim. At this level of mastery, feeding awards the Dragon the Sated Condition and his Blood Potency is considered 1 for the purpose of drinking cold blood while benefiting from the Blush of Life.[/spoiler]

Does the level 5 ability to inflict aggravated actually do anything? I was under the impression that by taking the last vitae in a living creature it would die.

Comment

Originally posted by Ever Professional View Post
                          Does the level 5 ability to inflict aggravated actually do anything? I was under the impression that by taking the last vitae in a living creature it would die.
                          Humans has a maximum number of Vitae equal to their health levels. Taking the last Vitae will normally cause a human to have full lethal, but they can survive that if they receive immediate medical attention.

Writer for Bloodlines: The Ageless on STV
                          Some other stuff I've done: Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Humans has a maximum number of Vitae equal to their health levels. Taking the last Vitae will normally cause a human to have full lethal, but they can survive that if they receive immediate medical attention.
                            Huh, neato. I'll be sure to remember that. Though I do see some benefit in the event that the vampire is feeding on a werewolf or other creature.

Comment

When I first thought of the level 5 ability, I envisioned as the dragon sucking the victim dry, killing it, and getting more blood as the act of killing gave them a pseudo amaranth result in blood. But then I thought it would be unfair to kill just like that. There were too many variables, splats, rituals, and stuff that could save someone that has full lethal, or no blood, so a gave it a numeric value as a substitute and hoped it wasn't too much.

About the coils, I think I got the last version, don't know if this one has any other problem. Many pointed that the ability to drink from animals and humans at higher blood potency shouldn't be so easily granted, but if the dragons already developed a scale that allows for some of it, what would happen when this scale is developed into a coil? When a whole covenant dedicates years of effort to this development? The objective of the coil was to allow higher blood potency vampires to be sustained by human blood, then animal, and then cold blood to the end game of just eating normal food (to probably no eating at all). As such, the progression is already set. I rewrote most of it to be similar to the latest coils writing.

Here is the latest version (probably the last):

Eliminating Desire
                              A Dragon on this path is resistant to Vitae's echoing temptation developing greater endurance against the Beast's hunger than the uninitiated. The Dragon is immune to Vitae Addiction, and ignores up to half the number of dots in the Coil of the Ascetic rounded up, in Hungry and Starving penalties to Frenzy.

The Dry Fast ••
                              At this basic level, the Dragon's trained mind and body to be capable of holding on for long dry periods, recreating life's semblance with willpower alone. The Dragon can hold one additional Vitae for each dot in the Coil of the Ascetic and activate the Blush of Life with a Willpower point instead of one Vitae, but only if her body has Vitae.

Escaping Dukkha •••
                              The Dragon can adopt a state able to quickly and easily accept the life from inferior forms. While benefiting from the Blush of Life, the Dragon adds his dots in the Coils of the Ascetic to the limit of Vitae obtainable by performing the Feed move, and can garner substance from humans regardless of Blood Potency at this level.

All prey is equal, that is to say, beneath the Dragon, humans, animals and even those of unnatural origin. The Dragon may inflict The Assault or The Kiss on non-humans with a bite, or use Lashing Out against them, without the need to spend a Willpower point as if they were human. At this level, the Dragon can garner substance from animals regardless of Blood Potency while benefiting from the Blush of Life.

The Dragon is most satisfied with taking the life within a prey or the precious liquid that carried it. The Dragon gains an additional Vitae for every 2 obtained from cold blood. Furthermore, taking the last pint of blood available in living prey provides 3 additional points of Vitae to the Dragon, and does 5 points of Aggravated Damage in addition to any other damage to the victim.
                              At this level, while benefiting from the Blush of Life, the Dragon's Blood Potency is considered 1 for the purpose of drinking cold blood, while feeding awards the Sated Condition and resolves the Wanton Condition.
                              Last edited by Basilistik; 07-19-2017, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X