Bloodline Conversion- Childer of the Morrigan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodline Conversion- Childer of the Morrigan

Hello everybody! Haberdasher with another bloodline conversion. Today I am presenting the Childer of the Morrigan, depressive warrior mostly-female Gangrel who have started experiencing something of a crisis of identity in modern nights.

I took my cue for their bloodline blessing from a suggestion in the CotC book that they could possibly get some sort of bonus to using Crúac, but initially I tied it to them being Acolytes. So I changed it so that they automatically learn a Crúac ritual every time they gain Covenant Status. That way, a player can play a Stormcrow in a covenant other than the Circle of the Crone and still use their bloodline blessing, and the idea of a Sanctified Templar suddenly using a Crúac ritual is a really juicy plot idea.

As always, leave thoughts and comments! The next bloodline will be the Gorgons, a bloodline of apparently party-happy Ventrue who claim an ancient lineage... and hide a tremendous power that puts a serious cramp in that lifestyle.

Bloodline Conversion- Childer of the Morrigan
    All things end, even gods and immortals. It is for us to decide how long we have until we are naught but ash.

It's easy to stereotype Gangrel as passionate creatures, hissing and snarling at every offense. But there are some who prefer to brood in their dens, wallowing in the painful memories of their failures and the crushing weight of nihilism. The Childer of the Morrigan are an example of this strain of morose Gangrel. This ancient bloodline of Savages from the British Isles have always struggled to resist their despair at their own shortcomings. Nowanight, they struggle against growing fears of irrelevancy: in a night where the Danse Macabre is more often won with political cunning and social acumen then martial skill and tactical brilliance, a bloodline of depressive warriors and generals struggles to find purpose.

Background: The Childer of the Morrigan orginated among the Celts of the British Isles. Of all the Kindred on Britan and Ireland, the Stormcrows were unanimously regarded as the generals and warriors of the Kindred. The Morrigan, the Gaelic goddess of war, death and prophecy was the uniting factor of the various broods and covenants that formed, thrived, and vanished on the Tin Islands. It was not uncommon for an entire coterie of Stormcrows to oversee the protection of their domains, or even make up the entire fighting force of a domain. By the Middle Ages, “Stormcrow” was no longer synonymous with “Gangrel” in all but the most isolated and provincial of domains. Their role shifted from warriors to generals and advisors, poets and historians, always counselling Princes and Hierarchs in all matters of war and conflict.

But that was a long time ago. In the modern nights, Morrigans are respected but no longer hold the positions of prominance and status that they once did- for every celebrated duelist or political leader, there is one renegade vigilante or forgotten relic. The Morrigan blame the modern era's focus on superior firepower over highly trained warriors for their decline, as well as the All-Night Society's preference for political intrigue over direct confrontation.

When the Circle of the Crone formed out of the many disparate cults and dying covenants that predated it, the Stormcrows were the leaders of those first Scottish, Welsh, and and Irish Acolytes rebelling against the excesses of the Sanctified. Their role in overseeing the birth of the new covenant won them back a bit of their old respect: at least among the Circles, the words of a Morrigan urging or discouraging war carries great weight.

The Becoming: Throughout their history, Morrigans were mostly women of European descent, especially those whose ancestors were native to the British Isles, and who were middle-aged or older in age; however, Morrigans are by no means exclusionary in their membership. Few Morrigans Embrace childer directly into the bloodline, prefering to adopt ancillae or elders: Stormcrows favor members who had years of experience as both a human and a vampire. While it would be easy to stereotype Morrigans as all being either former soldiers and law enforcement officers, they come from a wide variety of backgrounds: one of the roles of a war advisor is to know when to prevent war and counsel peace, after all. Some Gangrel who came from more peaceful backgrounds like stay-at-home parents, scholars, musicians, and writers may turn to the bloodline as a way to satisfy a longing for action without joining a more savage bloodline.

In the Danse Macabre: Childer of the Morrigan almost always act as advisors to Hierophants and Princes in matters of conflict and warfare. Most Stormcrows live alone, without the benefit of companionship from their brothers and sisters; pairs or trios of Morrigans in a single domain are rare, anything more is unheard of. Some have turned to the role of Sherrif to pass the time, but others have resigned themselves to sitting in their Havens alone, waiting for the night that some brave young warrior will seek them out for training. However, some Stormcrows who are aware of the Carnon have formed an unusual bond with the bloodline, taking its members under their wings and trying to temper the passions of their Gangrel cousins. Most Morrigans are members of the Circle of the Crone, though a large number are unaligned for one reason or another, or are members of a more regionally-based covenant.

Clan: Gangrel

Nicknames: Stormcrows, Morrigans

Bloodline Bane: The Morrigan is a dark and brooding goddess, and this leads to her childer being depressive souls. If a Childe of Morrigan ever loses all dots of Covenant Status, fails a roll that she spent Willpower on, or if she takes part in a battle where her side loses, she immediately acquires the Broken (Persistent) Condition, but if she acquires the Condition from one of her bloodline triggers, she can only resolve it by performing the opposite of the trigger (i.e., regaining a dot of Covenant Status, succeeding on a roll she spent Willpower on, or is on the victorious side of a battle).

Bloodline Disciplines: Animalism, Protean, Resilience, Vigor

Bloodline Gift: Favor of the Morrigan
    Stormcrows normally eschew learning Crúac, labelling it the domain of witches rather than warriors. However, the Childer of the Morrigan are an ancient bloodline who served the ancient cults that predated the Circle of the Crone, and this gives them an innate understanding of their covenant's blood sorcery. Every time a Daughter of the Morrigan gains a dot of Covenant Status, she automatically learns one Crúac ritual whose dots equal her total dots in Covenant Status, even if she does not possess any dots in Crúac. The dice pool for these rituals is only made up of an Attribute and Skill, but she may include her dots in Crúac in the dice pool if she ever takes dots in Crúac.

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

This is a very interesting take on them. Another bloodline I had my eye on but wasn't sure how to use exactly--or if.

Since they do not lose Cruac rituals when they lose dots of status, the optimal play style (if you're into that) would involve wandering from Covenant to Covenant as a kind of mercenary captain, picking up new rituals automatically as the mystical regard of your peers and elders infuses you with attuned power.

Rather thematic, especially for the modern nights. Would they get the same effect from smaller covenants? Such as predated the Circle?

Edit: for a related question, how small would a "covenant" need to be to count for their Gift? Something extant for a city? For a region? In some respects a Covenant almost seems to be a compact of agreed hierarchy that by its nature between supernatural beings, acquires a supernatural potency--and effects.

--Khanwulf
    Last edited by Khanwulf; 07-28-2017, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Khanwulf That's some interesting meta-discussion. I would say that for the purposes of their bloodline gift, a Covenant is any social group of vampires that has a unified philosophy and methodology that also has enough clout in a domain, region, or the world at large that belonging to the group carries has enough benefits to warrant being represented by the Status Merit, rather than just the Allies or Contacts Merits.

Comment

Honestly Haberdasher you should consider making an original Bloodline by now

Comment

Originally posted by Shawarbaaz View Post
          Honestly Haberdasher you should consider making an original Bloodline by now
          Oh believe me, I've been mulling the idea over for a while. I do have a handful of ideas I would want to try out, just haven't gotten around to doing trying them out. Let's just say that I'm very pleased that some extinct clans have gotten discipline spreads.

Also, I should probably get around to creating a home-brew page so that people can find my stuff more easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Haberdasher View Post

Oh believe me, I've been mulling the idea over for a while. I do have a handful of ideas I would want to try out, just haven't gotten around to doing trying them out. Let's just say that I'm very pleased that some extinct clans have gotten discipline spreads.

Also, I should probably get around to creating a home-brew page so that people can find my stuff more easily.
            Yes please. And yeah: your take on these guys is interesting in part because of the meta-play support their mechanics provides for what I perceive as their history and inclination. In other words, while you'll have plenty of CotM who build status in the Crone and sit tight (losing status is *painful*). Others will just say "F- you, I have other friends!" and deal with their supernatural depression by calling in a few favors and being "made" elsewhere.

Here's another question: do you think said depression is a factor that has worsened as the particular skills of the CotM (as a general focus, that is) have waned in regard? Or were they always so?

Side comment on the Bloodline, as a whole and in its original form: The Morrigan is a complex figure (she's literally a melding of 3-4 other goddesses), in and in fact I wouldn't necessarily call her "dark and brooding" except in modern takes where one or another aspect is over-emphasized and linked with baggage from Christian tradition and viewpoints. ("Bloody and terrifying?" Sure.) The bloodline has always struck me as being a shallow representation for an inference that A) The Morrigan is both real and Kindred, and B) was active recently enough to sire a bloodline that's survived in noticeable numbers. Alternatively, someone back-when just decided to name themselves "Childer of the Morrigan" and were sufficiently badass not to get called on it.

Anyway--no complaint on your work, which I think is about 500% more interesting mechanically.

--Khanwulf

Comment

As in, they had another bane previously, but gained the depression one as they started to become irrelevant? Possibly. It's certainly an interesting concept.

As for, "Why the Morrigan?", I think it has a lot to do with the fact that vampires seem to really love legitimizing themselves by linking themselves to a figure from human history, folklore, or religion. So the founder of the Stormcrows probably had a connection to the Morrigan at some point in life, then decided to start calling herself the Morrigan's childe as an intimidation tactic or status symbol.

Comment

Working...
              X