X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Spirit’s Touch and devotion

Hi all,

the core states:

A vampire can turn his Beast’s senses on an object or place, uncovering secrets and destroying lies
    so it seems that this power should affect also place like building or room allowing questions like:
    - Who is the last unnatural being came here
    - Have Vidal ever been here? When?
    - Who is died here?/Who killed him?/Why?

Now, if the above question fit with this power, what is the difference with: ANNALS OF DEATH (Auspex 3 devotion in 1000 years of night)?

Why shouldn't common Auspex 3 answer the same sample question of that devotion?

Could anyone clarify me how these two powers work and what are the differences between the legit questions?

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
    Hi all,

the core states:

so it seems that this power should affect also place like building or room allowing questions like:
    - Who is the last unnatural being came here
    - Have Vidal ever been here? When?
    - Who is died here?/Who killed him?/Why?

Now, if the above question fit with this power, what is the difference with: ANNALS OF DEATH (Auspex 3 devotion in 1000 years of night)?

Why shouldn't common Auspex 3 answer the same sample question of that devotion?

Could anyone clarify me how these two powers work and what are the differences between the legit questions?

That those questions may be appropriate for that power level of the Discipline doesn't make the common application of that Discipline.

The Majesty and Dominate versions of Summoning is a great example of a pair of Devotions with only a single Discipline each, essentially equal to a 4th dot Discipline but not the most common use, thus a Devotion which adds extra utility. Disciplines do what they say they do, and a power which are based on novel application of a Discipline is a Devotion. One moment let me go get a quote...

Originally posted by Devotions VtR pg 142
    Many vampires develop the abilities listed here for each Discipline, but some manifest new powers of the Blood. These new Discipline techniques, called Devotions, can manifest spontaneously in some Kindred, or can be developed by careful honing of Discipline abilities. Once a vampire knows a Devotion, she can teach it to another Kindred in much the same way as the standard Discipline techniques. Any vampire with the appropriate prerequisite Discipline dots can develop any Devotion for which she has the dots — as long as she has a teacher, or has plenty of time to practice. Even so, most Kindred keep the Devotions they know secret, passing them along only when it suits their purposes. Devotions are rare enough among the Kindred population that they have intrinsic value as secrets.
    A new Devotion usually costs one Experience per dot in the Devotion, halved and rounded down. Subsume the Lesser Beast, which requires Animalism 4 and Dominate 2 costs three Experiences.
    Particularly specialized Devotions may cost a point less, while wildly versatile Devotions cost an extra Experience. All of the Devotions in this section cost one Experience per dot unless noted otherwise.
    Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 07-31-2017, 04:47 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
    "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post

The Majesty and Dominate versions of Summoning is a great example of a pair of Devotions with only a single Discipline each, essentially equal to a 4th dot Discipline.
      Yes but summoning has a complete different effect from Majesty or Dominate 4.
      I'm fine with devotions based on just a discipline but not with devotions that have the same effect of an existing discipline.

Comment

Auspex can be a little tricky to manage (how precise the question can be ?) in this instance Spirit's Touch allows you to get answers like: how is the last person who owned this object ? what is the mood of this room ? etc. Annals of Death seems to be able to answer much precise questions (who killed who in this room ?) or even foretelling the future (who is likely to die next in this park ?) as far as the question is related to death. Now, playing this out and making a clear cut distinction between the two that's another thing.

Comment

Yes, Auspex is the discipline that give me more problems
          It's hard to define what is legit to ask and what is not.

Comment

Yes, Auspex is the discipline that give me more problems
            It's hard to define what is legit to ask and what is not.
            Well, as long as you're not saying "I Auspex the City, where is X, who killed Y, what powers does everybody posess" I won't be the one hitting you with a book, lol.
            Seriously though, short simple questions about things in your immediate vicinity/sensory range is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Arduras View Post

Well, as long as you're not saying "I Auspex the City, where is X, who killed Y, what powers does everybody posess" I won't be the one hitting you with a book, lol.
              Seriously though, short simple questions about things in your immediate vicinity/sensory range is fine.
              So according to you, auspex 3 used on a crime scene asking:
              1) who killed mr X.
              2) which supernatural power has been used here
              3) what were the intentions of the killer while killing mr. X

Are legit or too specific?

Comment

For me...
                1. That might be a legitimate question for Auspex 3. (What other details does the user know already and what other evidence is currently on hand?)
                2. Beyond the scope of the power unless the power has visible effects. (ie seeing the killer pick the person up one handed and smashing their skull to a pulp with one blow)
                3. Beyond the scope of the power.

Comment

Originally posted by tsusasi View Post
                  For me...
                  1. That might be a legitimate question for Auspex 3. (What other details does the user know already and what other evidence is currently on hand?)
                  2. Beyond the scope of the power unless the power has visible effects. (ie seeing the killer pick the person up one handed and smashing their skull to a pulp with one blow)
                  3. Beyond the scope of the power.
                  About 3. The power states that you can ask also the questiona related to Ausoex 1 and 2. Are not the real intentions of a killer a "secret" that could be uncovered by auspex 2?

Comment

The killer isn't there to evaluate. You can't randomly select somebody who may be hundreds of miles away and just ask everything you want to know and get the information.

Comment

No sure but, by applying Auspex 2 questions after known the killer identity through Auspex 3. I mean: what is the point of use auspex 2 question with Auspex 3 if you can't uncover secrets of the target?
                      I just would like to understand because probably I miss something

Comment

You still have to be in proximity of the target. You can't just pull information from people anywhere in the world just because you know what they look like or a name and you can't pull every detail that ever happened in a specific location anywhere in the world just because you know the place exists.

Comment

Originally posted by tsusasi View Post
                          You still have to be in proximity of the target. You can't just pull information from people anywhere in the world just because you know what they look like or a name and you can't pull every detail that ever happened in a specific location anywhere in the world just because you know the place exists.
                          Well I always misunderstood it. Thanks for the clarification. It seemed to mee too powerful in that way.

Comment

No sure but, by applying Auspex 2 questions after known the killer identity through Auspex 3. I mean: what is the point of use auspex 2 question with Auspex 3 if you can't uncover secrets of the target?
                            I just would like to understand because probably I miss something

Tsusasi's point is still valid. You're asking questions through Auspex to the room, not to the individual who was in the room at one time. I think keeping the context of the questions in mind helps to bring the power of Auspex back into line with intent. In other words, faced with a murder scene you could:

* Ask what the murderer looked like
                            * Ask if he used supernatural powers
                            * Ask who was named in the room
                            * Ask what the murderer was feeling (sympathetic impressions)
                            * Ask what he smelled/tasted like
                            * Ask what numbers were on the murderer (for things such as keys, scraps of paper, things like that--not what numbers were on his cell phone, as that's a question to the phone!)
                            * Ask where the murderer was thinking about going next (while in the room)
                            * Ask who else was on the mind of the murderer (or victim) in the room
                            * Ask what the victim intended to do (if you have the body), or intended (decided) to do in the room (if you don't)

Basically, use Auspex like a super-investigative tool, not an "I win" button that short-circuits role-playing and hands the Storyteller's notes to the player. That's not fun for anyone, ultimately.

So, advice? Keep the scope down to what Auspex is targeting at the moment, and go from there. Once the player catches up with the murderer and finds him stuffed halfway through a wood-chipper, then you can ask all kinds of questions of him as an object, including what he intended to do--that would be a sympathetic resonance left behind.

--Khanwulf

Comment

So according to you, auspex 3 used on a crime scene asking:
                              1) who killed mr X.
                              2) which supernatural power has been used here
                              3) what were the intentions of the killer while killing mr. X

Are legit or too specific?
                              A crime scene is fine, going "Where is Mr. Rogers" as a question aimed at the entire city is too much. The area is generally huge and not cool. Having it used to straight up ask whatever you want is a bit cheeky too, I've had a character legit just go "what powers does he possess" and boom he knows every discipline, devotion, scale, coil, BP, you name it, for free.
                              Which supernatural power I think is an edge case, it works, but you shouldn't be able to just know everything about everyone the city over with one roll.
                              Whether or not they used supernatural powers is easy enough to ask, but knowing which powers exactly is too much. That being said, a general feel is okay like what the goal of the power may have been, not just "oh they used Dominate 3, Majesty 3, then Obfuscate 3 in that order."

Comment

Working...
                              X