The Spirit’s Touch and devotion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arduras View Post

A crime scene is fine, going "Where is Mr. Rogers" as a question aimed at the entire city is too much. The area is generally huge and not cool. Having it used to straight up ask whatever you want is a bit cheeky too, I've had a character legit just go "what powers does he possess" and boom he knows every discipline, devotion, scale, coil, BP, you name it, for free.
    Which supernatural power I think is an edge case, it works, but you shouldn't be able to just know everything about everyone the city over with one roll.
    Whether or not they used supernatural powers is easy enough to ask, but knowing which powers exactly is too much. That being said, a general feel is okay like what the goal of the power may have been, not just "oh they used Dominate 3, Majesty 3, then Obfuscate 3 in that order."

Right, and to that question (which supernatural power), I'd only give the last one used, and express it in thematic ways rather than reading from notes. The point being that Auspex should not break immersion even when the player is asking meta-questions; the answer is an opportunity to build horror and mystery, instead of reinforcing the fact you're at a table.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post

Right, and to that question (which supernatural power), I'd only give the last one used, and express it in thematic ways rather than reading from notes. The point being that Auspex should not break immersion even when the player is asking meta-questions; the answer is an opportunity to build horror and mystery, instead of reinforcing the fact you're at a table.

--Khanwulf
      Favorite response on this forum so far. Someone who agrees that immersion and fun is more important than meta- and power- gaming.

Comment

Favorite response on this forum so far. Someone who agrees that immersion and fun is more important than meta- and power- gaming.

Very pleased to be of service.

But really, let's step back for a moment and consider the perspective of the VtR 2.e writers. They need Auspex--it's a thing, and it's used to uncover secrets and clues as well as deliver psychic powers to vamps. VtM wandered off into the weeds with it by making the various levels of Auspex deliver tiers and flavors of clues (aura sight, for example), and that needs to be compressed down to meet VtR expectations.

Ok. So someone had the bright idea of just letting the players ask questions. Players ask questions of the GM all the time; stuff like "what does the room look like?" And "why is the body dead?" Well now you have an excuse to ask questions of the Storyteller that hinge on things characters cannot normally perceive. Either the Storyteller is going to exercise the same kind of control and judgement they do when someone asks "do I see a million dollars on the ground at my feet?", or they're going to go *tilt*. Too many go tilt, and then the players pry open that door and ask for a million dollars (using the rules as hard leverage if they can).

Personally I wish the Auspex section was written more carefully to explicitly arm the Storyteller with more tools to bludgeon players back into line, but CofD is intended for mature audiences, so *shrug*.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Auspex 3 on a square: which direction took mr. X leaving this place? Could provide an answer?
          And going on, place by place, asking the same question everytime, could allow the mekhet to spot the place where mr. X is gone?

Comment

I would answer the first question at the first place only. The person isn't at the subsequent locations to target for Auspex 3 and the Auspex user won't have the vitae reserves to try it.
            And a player trying a douchebag stunt like that at every location would get flooded with information they don't need.
            Last edited by tsusasi; 08-05-2017, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsusasi View Post
              I would answer the first question at the first place only. The person isn't at the subsequent locations to target for Auspex 3 and the Auspex user won't have the vitae reserves to try it.
              And a player trying a douchebag stunt like that at every location would get flooded with information they don't need.
              I once had players do that, they treated every new intersection as a scene and Auspex was free as we just went "where did he go" repeatedly.
              Seriously though, Auspex is completely broken in my group. They'll ask every rock or blade of grass a question for free in the same scene.

Comment

Same problem in mine

Comment

They'll ask every rock or blade of grass a question for free in the same scene.
                  Auspex 3 costs Vitae so it's not free.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Auspex 3 costs Vitae so it's not free.
                    No, Auspex 3 is free.

Comment

Just checked Auspex three is free.

Comment

You're right. I misremembered.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Something that guides me with Auspex is the idea that it's the Beast's subjective view. That doesn't mean that the Storyteller should give false answers, but the information is how your Beast interprets it, rather than an objective truth. The Beast reports what it sees; it doesn't have an omniscient point of view. That's why it gives you weird visions rather than specific verbal answers.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                          Masquiem: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2nd
                          Storytellers Vault: Author Page

Comment

Working...
                          X