No announcement yet.

Half-Damned - what do we know?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm stupid but curious in this product. What are revenants?
    Last edited by Crosswords; 11-29-2017, 04:00 PM. Reason: Being less snarky.

Comment

Originally posted by Crosswords View Post
      I'm stupid but curious in this product. What are revenants?
      Clanless, often accidental vampires with a more overwhelming hunger than usual.

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
      I podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love

Comment

in Requiem 2nd edition they arise through 2 means.

A ghoul dieing and having a regent of potent blood.

or someone drained of blood by a kindred of low humanity no longer affected by the act of murder

their unhurt by sunlight, can survive indefinitely on animal blood, but need to feed nightly, as they sweat out most of their blood pool during daysleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
          their unhurt by sunlight, can survive indefinitely on animal blood, but need to feed nightly, as they sweat out most of their blood pool during daysleep.
          As far as I was aware they were still affected by sunlight damage and fear frenzy because of it.

Comment

Yes, nothing suggests they're immune to vampire banes.

Comment

For those who have already bought the book, here is the most important question of them all- can ghouls learn Devotions? Yes or no? Settle that argument once and for all!

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
              I now blog in here

Comment

I'm most curious about the Dhampir. They're almost as high as werewolves and Mokolé as my favorite playable supernatural character types.

Freelancer • Available for work!

Comment

Ugh, whoever wrote the Werewolf bit in the Dhampir section seems to have forgot that Wyrm Taint isn't a thing in CofD, based on the language used. Not impressed with how badly that syncs up with the fluff in the Werewolf books themselves about Vampires. Liking the rest of that section though (still reading through the book).

And I don't see Devotions mentioned in the ghoul section at all, but that was just a quick ctrl f. I'll take a more in depth look later.
                  Last edited by falco1029; 11-29-2017, 06:27 PM.

My CofD Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                    For those who have already bought the book, here is the most important question of them all- can ghouls learn Devotions? Yes or no? Settle that argument once and for all!
                    It's unclear, at least specifically. Ghouls aren't limited to the Disciplines of their Regnant and they seem to be able to learn other things, but it never mentions Devotions by name.

'Vampires may “gift” their ghouls augmentations, in the form of scarring tattoos to imply ownership, a crash indoctrination course to alter a ghoul into something more willingly subservient, or experimental Discipline powers to increase a servant’s arsenal and see whether a ghoul is capable of using Theban Sorcery. These deviant ghouls, as other thralls know them, inevitably snap under the strain of experimentation, either descending into a vegetative state or acting with uncontrollable rage against their former companions and masters.'

Originally posted by falco1029 View Post
                    Ugh, whoever wrote the Werewolf bit in the Dhampir section seems to have forgot that Wyrm Taint isn't a thing in CofD, based on the language used. Not impressed with how badly that syncs up with the fluff in the Werewolf books themselves about Vampires.
                    While it does imply that werewolves kill vampires out of hand because 'they're evil,' the werewolves that are gung-ho about killing vampires (primarily Pure) do think that.

The art is vaguely Apocalyptian too.
                    Last edited by nofather; 11-29-2017, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Not sure how reliable this offhand post from a couple months back should be taken to be, but... that bit about ghouls and Devotions was apparently supposed to make it into the book. Hrmm.
                      I'd give a more thorough read myself and see if it's somewhere else in the book, but I can't reasonably buy it until Friday...

Err, any mention of animal ghouls or mandragora?

Have a bit of a bad habit of extensively editing posts after, well, posting them. Bear with me...

Comment

Originally posted by Sconce View Post
                        Err, any mention of animal ghouls or mandragora?
                        Yes, almost a page each, I think.

A Nosferatu ghoul'd some cockroaches, unaware of how fast they reproduce, and unknowingly created a massive ghoul family of them that resisted extermination.

There's also stats for small (rosebush), medium and large (black locust tree, giant pitcher plant) mandragora. And a cool picture of someone torn in half or being disposed of by one.
                        Last edited by nofather; 11-29-2017, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                          While it does imply that werewolves kill vampires out of hand because 'they're evil,' the werewolves that are gung-ho about killing vampires (primarily Pure) do think that.

Still, it doesn't really match as a sweeping generalization with 2e's thematics so far, in my opinion. And I'm seeing more bits of that sort of thing here and there throughout it, like Werewolves are still the wyrm-hunting vamp-predators they are in WoD. I do not like it one bit.

EDIT: Okay, they actually used the words 'werewolf Kinfolk' in the book. Now I'm SURE the writer came from a WoD werewolf background.
                          Last edited by falco1029; 11-29-2017, 08:10 PM.

My CofD Homebrew

Comment

Ooh, not just animal ghouls but animal ghoul families... makes me want to poke at an old NPC idea again. Also glad to hear that mandragora got some more attention; always liked them for some reason. Most of a page, while not quite the same as their treatment in 1e's Ghouls book, is very welcome.

Have a bit of a bad habit of extensively editing posts after, well, posting them. Bear with me...

Comment

Now that I've gotten my venom out of the way, I WILL mention I absolutely love Dhampir as a template, mechanically speaking. Twists/Themes and Malisons are very cool, and overall they feel unique and interesting without being overpowered.

Last edited by falco1029; 11-29-2017, 08:10 PM.

My CofD Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

It's unclear, at least specifically. Ghouls aren't limited to the Disciplines of their Regnant and they seem to be able to learn other things, but it never mentions Devotions by name.

'Vampires may “gift” their ghouls augmentations, in the form of scarring tattoos to imply ownership, a crash indoctrination course to alter a ghoul into something more willingly subservient, or experimental Discipline powers to increase a servant’s arsenal and see whether a ghoul is capable of using Theban Sorcery. These deviant ghouls, as other thralls know them, inevitably snap under the strain of experimentation, either descending into a vegetative state or acting with uncontrollable rage against their former companions and masters.'

Hey the anniversary edition of Apocalypses corebook has a reference to a storm Lord!

so sadly this kind of BS is something we must live with.

same authors working on similar but distinct projects. bound to happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X