Half-Damned - what do we know?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
    Odd question, but having only just finished the dhampir chapter in the first quick readthrough, I appear to have missed something.

Namely, what happens when dhampir is Embraced (aside from Doom upon the Sire, if the Half-Damned wills it)? Obviously you add the Vampire template, but certain things (merits, twists, themes, malisons, destiny) are a matter to consider. Dropping the third anchor, and Sanctity of merits covers some of it to be sure, but...
    They can't be Embraced (Dhampir Character Creation, p. 29).

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

• Originally posted by LostLight View Post
      So I gave a quick look to the book. Looks nice. Haven't expected getting a new Lost Clan in it.
      More than one, when you give it an in-depth read - I count at least three, two we get some detail on, one is an off-hand reference.

Comment

• One thing with the book sort of confused me and left me sleepless for a while until I found a way to justify it within the core rulebook, but I want other peoples input on it.

In the book, p. 90, it says that "Mekhet create ghouls for one purpose: an eventual Embrace into the clan" and it's stated on other pages (for example the Lancea and Ordo) that vampires aren't against the idea to embrace ghouls.

Now, I thought: why Embrace someone that has a full Vinculum to you and most likely is also a Vitae Addict? Wouldn't that be bit of a problem?

I always assumed that Vinculum and Addiction stayed with you after the Embrace. I guess one can argue that death solves the Vinculum and that the Embrace can be a resolution for the Addiction Condition(as in a loss of Integrity).

What are your thought on this?

Comment

• Ghouls getting embraced has been a thing since, like, forever. Clearly the issue is not an insurmountable one.

Comment

• Vitae addiction could be a bit of a problem, but why wouldn't you want your childer to be blood bonded? Makes them less rebellious. Vinculum can be a hassle, but mostly if you don't have much control over the bonded party so they have time to act on the less desirable impulses they may get.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

• I would avoid embracing someone with Vitae Adiction because it increases the chance that they will Frenzy and if you needed Vinculum to keep someone loyal you probably don't want to make them a full kindred.
              On the Dhampir subject could someone clarify for me do they use willpower to fuel their abilities? No one has mentioned a fuel stat for them so I assume so. I'm also curious about how much their vampire parent effects them? Do they come in 5 flavered like the clans, do they have something akin to the Tast of merits or are they mechanicly the same?
              On the subject of the Tast of merits do we get more must be a ghoul of clan X options?

Comment

• Originally posted by Live Bait View Post
                I would avoid embracing someone with Vitae Adiction because it increases the chance that they will Frenzy and if you needed Vinculum to keep someone loyal you probably don't want to make them a full kindred.
                On the Dhampir subject could someone clarify for me do they use willpower to fuel their abilities? No one has mentioned a fuel stat for them so I assume so. I'm also curious about how much their vampire parent effects them? Do they come in 5 flavered like the clans, do they have something akin to the Tast of merits or are they mechanicly the same?
                On the subject of the Tast of merits do we get more must be a ghoul of clan X options?
                A dhampir's vampire parent influences their Themes (the thematic situations in which they can use Twists), their Affliction (the dark part of their nature that manifests when they exhaust themselves using their supernatural abilities), and the Doom they inflict on any vampire who feeds from them.

Some Twists don't require fuelling, some require spending Willpower, and some require drinking a vampire's Vitae. Malisons require the dhampir to deliberately inflict some degree of damage on themselves to work.

No 'Must be a ghoul of X' Merits.

Comment

• Curious just bought PDF, but what does Charry DO?

Comment

• Originally posted by marin View Post

A dhampir's vampire parent influences their Themes (the thematic situations in which they can use Twists), their Affliction (the dark part of their nature that manifests when they exhaust themselves using their supernatural abilities), and the Doom they inflict on any vampire who feeds from them.

Some Twists don't require fuelling, some require spending Willpower, and some require drinking a vampire's Vitae. Malisons require the dhampir to deliberately inflict some degree of damage on themselves to work.

No 'Must be a ghoul of X' Merits.
                    Thanks, so who your daddy is changes when you can use your powers? Makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                      Curious just bought PDF, but what does Charry DO?
                      Helps deal with the fact that revenants lose the entire contents of their Vitae pool upon waking by giving them ways to store or retain some of it.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• I'm in love with the ghouls chapter. I noticed some Tokyo Ghoul got in there too The little bits of fiction throughout are excellent.

Comment

• so after giving it some thought, I considered an option of making a personal review thread for the book (in the style of "LostLight reads Half Damned", and I wanted ti check if there will be an interest in such thread before going through the effort.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
                          I now blog in here

Comment

• Originally posted by Elesadi View Post
                            One thing with the book sort of confused me and left me sleepless for a while until I found a way to justify it within the core rulebook, but I want other peoples input on it.

In the book, p. 90, it says that "Mekhet create ghouls for one purpose: an eventual Embrace into the clan" and it's stated on other pages (for example the Lancea and Ordo) that vampires aren't against the idea to embrace ghouls.

Now, I thought: why Embrace someone that has a full Vinculum to you and most likely is also a Vitae Addict? Wouldn't that be bit of a problem?

I always assumed that Vinculum and Addiction stayed with you after the Embrace. I guess one can argue that death solves the Vinculum and that the Embrace can be a resolution for the Addiction Condition(as in a loss of Integrity).

What are your thought on this?

My take on the matter. When you die it breaks the blood bond. The magic or metaphysical power or whatever bond you had would extinguish when the life is snuffed out of you. Just like many of the powers end with the coming of the sun, many powers also end with your death. Whatever pull is lost.

I also believe that your death would end the addiction as well for two reasons. One you are born again. Everything living in you died and you have utterly changed. Cancer stops, disease ends, your cravings change. Sure you would remember how amazing it was, but you have other hungers you need to deal with and fight with now. You have a beast inside you altering your very core. ( That memory might be enough for you to want to start again. Addicts struggle to remain sober on a daily basis even if they have been sober for years )

Second, ( like you mentioned) Mechanically Persistent Addicted condition ends when you lose a dot of integrity/humanity. Mechanically when you turn, you lose all your integrity dots and replace them with 7 humanity. Even if you were at 2 integrity you come back with 7 humanity. So mechanically, you are fulfilling the resolution for that condition.

Originally posted by Live Bait View Post
                            I would avoid embracing someone with Vitae Adiction because it increases the chance that they will Frenzy and if you needed Vinculum to keep someone loyal you probably don't want to make them a full kindred.
                            Both of these are Subjective. Your vampires might avoid such things for moral reasons, but there is nothing in the core rules ( that I know of.. I am slow reading this book in the entirety ) that says an addict is more likely to frenzy. There is a roll to resist indulging, but nothing is mentioned for a frenzy. If there is a negative at all it is a subjective, case by case Story teller choice.

The Blood Bond again, is a subjective matter. It is mentioned that vampires do it to other vampires, so changing someone that was bonded is again a subjective call.
                            Last edited by Vitalis; 12-01-2017, 12:02 PM.

Comment

so after giving it some thought, I considered an option of making a personal review thread for the book (in the style of "LostLight reads Half Damned", and I wanted ti check if there will be an interest in such thread before going through the effort.
                              I would love to see something like that. It's not that I'm not already sold on the book. I am. Ghouls was the 1E book that finally sold my wife on Requiem, and led to our second or third longest running game ( in which her character played a member of a ghoul family that took herself off the breeding list by founding a breeding program for others, then traveled the world acting as ambassador to other ghoul families to bring them together for purposes of genetic diversity). I can't wait to see more of this one, but it will be awhile before I can get it myself. I would quite cheerfully read your review.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                              Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

so after giving it some thought, I considered an option of making a personal review thread for the book (in the style of "LostLight reads Half Damned", and I wanted ti check if there will be an interest in such thread before going through the effort.
                                I would be totally down with this. I love Let's Reads.

CofD booklists:
                                Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Working...
                                X