Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half-Damned - what do we know?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by LostLight View Post
    so after giving it some thought, I considered an option of making a personal review thread for the book (in the style of "LostLight reads Half Damned", and I wanted ti check if there will be an interest in such thread before going through the effort.
    Please do, and if you won't mind, it could serve as a repository for reviews of bits by others, to avoid cluttering the forum. This thread has received fragmentary reviews but would require a careful read to really advise someone regarding the book.

    --Khanwulf

    Comment


    • Embracing ghouls could of course go either way. If one is looking to sire progeny, it's not unreasonable to give them a taste first and see how the react.
      On the other hand if they're good at what they do, then why throw away a valuable asset, why release your prized 4H animal into the wild? If they're not good at it, then why are they still around? Or if the intention is to keep them bonded, then what is the role that they will fill better than if you changed nothing, and is it actually worth the extra problems that come with the Embrace?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Satchel View Post
        Yeah, no, Lel was being poetic in roughly the same way the chapter is about the fact that dhampir tend to pick up protections from and affinities for supernatural powers and natural circumstances that align with the themes of their parent's clan, that player use of Twists does not always translate to character invocation of those powers in the fiction, and that the basic Universal Dhampir Powers package includes getting Omen Sensitivity and Thief of Fate for free as part of the same umbrella quality that gives them Destiny as a weird hybrid Aspiration/Anchor Trait. Being a dhampir means having kind of a complicated life in a way that's easy to analogize to the Kindred's paranoid musings about whether the Curse has an agenda.
        Well I feel slightly dumb now. So their powers are just based on their cursed birth and disadvantages they can inflict on others based on the inauspicious circumstances of their parentage, and they're tuned to a purpose enforced by the kindred which made them, whose lineage shapes the afflictions of their unnatural existence and how they in turn inflict misfortune on vampires who prey on them.

        Okay. I raise a brow in curiosity at Thief of Fate and the like, but this makes a lot more sense to me than whatever I initially got out of the choice of words in earlier posts. Their abilities are closely tied to the cursed and inauspicious aspect of vampires and interact with the wider world through that unfortunate lenses. That sounds like it connects well to the central motifs of vampiric power in the core.
        Last edited by YeOfLittleFaith; 12-01-2017, 08:05 PM.

        Comment


        • Reading through the book with more detail, and watching the errata thread...

          It really kind of feels like some of the writers couldn't be assed to figure out what game they were writing for. There are so many Classic World of Darkness & 1E references that it's kind of ridiculous. Like, above and beyond using the wrong word for things, up to it actually affecting how certain mechanics are designed... =\

          I'm still really happy with my purchase but this is disappointing.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
            Reading through the book with more detail, and watching the errata thread...

            It really kind of feels like some of the writers couldn't be assed to figure out what game they were writing for. There are so many Classic World of Darkness & 1E references that it's kind of ridiculous. Like, above and beyond using the wrong word for things, up to it actually affecting how certain mechanics are designed... =\

            I'm still really happy with my purchase but this is disappointing.
            I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that.



            Storytellers' Vault supplements (WoD, CoD)
            My Patreon! (Current CofD bonuses: Fae Sorcery for Vampires, Generic Blood Tenebrous, and Theurgy for Second Sight)

            Comment


            • Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
              Reading through the book with more detail, and watching the errata thread...

              It really kind of feels like some of the writers couldn't be assed to figure out what game they were writing for. There are so many Classic World of Darkness & 1E references that it's kind of ridiculous. Like, above and beyond using the wrong word for things, up to it actually affecting how certain mechanics are designed... =\

              I'm still really happy with my purchase but this is disappointing.
              Which mechanics are you referring to? I'm not disagreeing, I just haven't had time to digest everything. I've been greatly enjoying the book so far, but the couple of time I've seen WofD instead of CofD did take me out of it a bit. The Werewolf section was a downer too, since it clearly wasn't talking about Forsaken.


              Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

              CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                Revenants now have a merit called "Fertile Vitae" which lets them embrace other people as revenants. There are entire communities of them that operate mostly independently of kindred.

                I figured that would be a thing, because otherwise the idea that revenants are sort of proto-vampires doesn't work if they can't propagate themselves.

                There is a sidebar talking about a "lost" discipline that works the same as the revenant-only one, except that kinderd can also learn it, but I'm not sure why because half the powers would be useless to full vampires because they circumvent revenant-specific problems.
                Hello, I was the writer for the Chary Discipline, and as such, I feel like it'd be appropriate to explain Bereschligost, the Kindred equivalent.
                First off, I will note that it is a Discipline belonging to a clan that suffered from a curse of hibernation, and traditionally had a lot of elders, thus torpor was fairly common. Secondly, I'll point out that the clan lived in Siberia, where they often had to travel long distances to find human prey, hence the feeding on animals thing.
                There was originally a whole section on how the Kindred version differs from Chary, but I cut that before even submitting the first draft because it was an awful lot of word count to spend on mechanics that the subjects of the book could never use. Bereschligost is very similar to Chary, and I figured groups that wanted to bring in a "live" Mikhaili would modify Chary to suit that character's needs. It's not ideal, of course, but the Mikhaili exist in a pure page-count perspective as an accessory to Revenants. Even giving the basic mechanics was basically just self-indulgence, though I also thought the community would appreciate it.

                So, what does Bereschligost look like? Well, first off, all the individual powers would have new names, but since I don't remember what they were, let's ignore that for now.

                The first dot, Daily Bread, explicitly works for a torpid Kindred, too. You can store Vitae up to your dots in Blood Potency, not just one, and it's based on your Blood Potency when you fell asleep, not when you wake.up again.
                The second dot, Eating Flies, lets you drink blood from old corpses in addition to animals, or frozen blood without having to thaw it. You get one-fifth of the Vitae a fresh body would provide. Breaking Point ahoy, Humanity 4.
                The third dot, Predator As Prey, lets you drink Kindred blood without addiction. At Blood Potency 6, it's vinculum immunity instead. Note, however, the Willpower requirement - you can still bond a Mikhaili elder, you just need to torture them first. Note the Mikhaili backstory to see how this power worked out for them in the long run.

                The fourth and fifth dots are completely different powers from Chary altogether, and at that point, I'd already scrapped the section for word count, so all I have there are vague ideas. Dot 4 has something to do with the Predatory Aura, strengthening and weakening it to manipulate other vampires. Dot 5 improves the vampire's ability to Blood Bond, and also lets them keep ghouls without needing to feed them as often.

                So, well, Chary for Kindred! Not quite the same, but very close. Hope this helps!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Spider Queen View Post
                  Hello, I was the writer for the Chary Discipline, and as such, I feel like it'd be appropriate to explain Bereschligost, the Kindred equivalent.
                  First off, I will note that it is a Discipline belonging to a clan that suffered from a curse of hibernation, and traditionally had a lot of elders, thus torpor was fairly common. Secondly, I'll point out that the clan lived in Siberia, where they often had to travel long distances to find human prey, hence the feeding on animals thing.
                  There was originally a whole section on how the Kindred version differs from Chary, but I cut that before even submitting the first draft because it was an awful lot of word count to spend on mechanics that the subjects of the book could never use. Bereschligost is very similar to Chary, and I figured groups that wanted to bring in a "live" Mikhaili would modify Chary to suit that character's needs. It's not ideal, of course, but the Mikhaili exist in a pure page-count perspective as an accessory to Revenants. Even giving the basic mechanics was basically just self-indulgence, though I also thought the community would appreciate it.

                  So, what does Bereschligost look like? Well, first off, all the individual powers would have new names, but since I don't remember what they were, let's ignore that for now.

                  The first dot, Daily Bread, explicitly works for a torpid Kindred, too. You can store Vitae up to your dots in Blood Potency, not just one, and it's based on your Blood Potency when you fell asleep, not when you wake.up again.
                  The second dot, Eating Flies, lets you drink blood from old corpses in addition to animals, or frozen blood without having to thaw it. You get one-fifth of the Vitae a fresh body would provide. Breaking Point ahoy, Humanity 4.
                  The third dot, Predator As Prey, lets you drink Kindred blood without addiction. At Blood Potency 6, it's vinculum immunity instead. Note, however, the Willpower requirement - you can still bond a Mikhaili elder, you just need to torture them first. Note the Mikhaili backstory to see how this power worked out for them in the long run.

                  The fourth and fifth dots are completely different powers from Chary altogether, and at that point, I'd already scrapped the section for word count, so all I have there are vague ideas. Dot 4 has something to do with the Predatory Aura, strengthening and weakening it to manipulate other vampires. Dot 5 improves the vampire's ability to Blood Bond, and also lets them keep ghouls without needing to feed them as often.

                  So, well, Chary for Kindred! Not quite the same, but very close. Hope this helps!
                  This is really cool! The Mikhaili are definitely going to be involved (in a small way) with the Requiem for Rome chronicle I've got cooking...

                  Tbis isn't quite relevant to the discussion, but out of curiosity, what languages are Chary and Bereschligost from? I sort of ran through Google translate with my vague knowledge of Russian, but it didn't reveal much.



                  Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

                  VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                  Podcast: The Breakup

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                    Which mechanics are you referring to?
                    Clan Impostor comes to mind

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Spider Queen View Post
                      So, well, Chary for Kindred! Not quite the same, but very close. Hope this helps!
                      Thank you for the writeup! The Mikhaili were a really cool addition to Half-Damned, and I'd love to get a full, official version of them sometime. I like the idea of a clan that's adapted to a harsher, more rural and spread out situation than the ultra-urban Kindred we usually deal with. I also thought the idea of them being "out-competed" by the more familiar Gangrel moving in was a nice bit of natural selection added into our supernatural setting, and their fall — by doing exactly the wrong thing — serves as another great lesson for modern vampires looking at the big picture. (see also "Strix, Julii and the")

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

                        This is really cool! The Mikhaili are definitely going to be involved (in a small way) with the Requiem for Rome chronicle I've got cooking...

                        Tbis isn't quite relevant to the discussion, but out of curiosity, what languages are Chary and Bereschligost from? I sort of ran through Google translate with my vague knowledge of Russian, but it didn't reveal much.
                        Bereschligost is Russian, Chary is English.
                        Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
                        Clan Impostor comes to mind
                        I assume you're referring to the Nosferatu reference? That doesn't refer to appearance, though certainly some Requiem Nosferatu look downright grody. It refers to the wrong and twisted way being around them feels. It's immediately obvious in a way none of the other clan banes manage to be. Hollow Mekhet would also go under that clause. I can assure you that the Merit was designed with the the Lonely Curse in mind.
                        Originally posted by Gellydog View Post
                        Thank you for the writeup! The Mikhaili were a really cool addition to Half-Damned, and I'd love to get a full, official version of them sometime. I like the idea of a clan that's adapted to a harsher, more rural and spread out situation than the ultra-urban Kindred we usually deal with. I also thought the idea of them being "out-competed" by the more familiar Gangrel moving in was a nice bit of natural selection added into our supernatural setting, and their fall — by doing exactly the wrong thing — serves as another great lesson for modern vampires looking at the big picture. (see also "Strix, Julii and the")
                        I'm glad you like my little morality tale, there. I'll note that the story in Half-Damned is Kindred mythology, and things probably didn't go down quite as pat as the tale would have you believe.

                        I've long wanted more stuff for rural Kindred, in both Masquerade and Requiem. This is one of my little stabs at that.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Spider Queen View Post
                          I assume you're referring to the Nosferatu reference? That doesn't refer to appearance, though certainly some Requiem Nosferatu look downright grody. It refers to the wrong and twisted way being around them feels. It's immediately obvious in a way none of the other clan banes manage to be. Hollow Mekhet would also go under that clause. I can assure you that the Merit was designed with the the Lonely Curse in mind.
                          But the Lonely Curse specifically don't affect vampires, so Nosferatu wouldn't have much problem pretending they're another clan, except in the few cases they're meaningfully interacting with humans in the presence of other vampires. In my experience that's hardly a common occurrence, and quite easily circumvented if you insist on having a ghoul intermediary because you're above associating with the cattle.


                          Bloodline: The Stygians
                          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Tessie View Post

                            But the Lonely Curse specifically don't affect vampires, so Nosferatu wouldn't have much problem pretending they're another clan, except in the few cases they're meaningfully interacting with humans in the presence of other vampires. In my experience that's hardly a common occurrence, and quite easily circumvented if you insist on having a ghoul intermediary because you're above associating with the cattle.
                            The bane does not apply mechanically, but is still distinctive. Yes, a Revenant can maintain a false identity if she wants by just staying in private and using intermediaries, but Clan Impostor is about acting normally as a member of the clan.

                            Furthermore, even if the Nosferatu clan bane is in fact intended to be completely unnoticable to Kindred, all it takes to bring the charade crashing down is one ghoul or retainer to say, "You know, that 'Haunt' is really not very haunting..."

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Spider Queen View Post
                              The bane does not apply mechanically, but is still distinctive. Yes, a Revenant can maintain a false identity if she wants by just staying in private and using intermediaries, but Clan Impostor is about acting normally as a member of the clan.

                              Furthermore, even if the Nosferatu clan bane is in fact intended to be completely unnoticable to Kindred, all it takes to bring the charade crashing down is one ghoul or retainer to say, "You know, that 'Haunt' is really not very haunting..."
                              There's also the fact that clan banes don't apply until your Humanity drops below 7, so it's not as if non-creepy nosferatu don't exist. And sure that all might draw suspicion over time but that seems like an IC reason to apply Sancity of merits to it, not a reason to prevent it from the get go as a physical impossibility.



                              Storytellers' Vault supplements (WoD, CoD)
                              My Patreon! (Current CofD bonuses: Fae Sorcery for Vampires, Generic Blood Tenebrous, and Theurgy for Second Sight)

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by falco1029 View Post

                                There's also the fact that clan banes don't apply until your Humanity drops below 7, so it's not as if non-creepy nosferatu don't exist. And sure that all might draw suspicion over time but that seems like an IC reason to apply Sancity of merits to it, not a reason to prevent it from the get go as a physical impossibility.
                                I wasn't actually aware that clan banes stopped applying at high Humanity, so this is a good reason to amend the Merit.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X