How Do You Motivate Vampires?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ever Professional View Post
    Sure, the character might be motivated, but if the player doesn't care then what's the point.

So, play on the player's soft spots and their personalities in general.
    Oh, so true. I would have a sit down talk with a player that made characters they were not interested in. Of course, point out Aspirations can be what the player wants for the character even if the character wouldn't want it.

"Accidentally be the doom of the mortals I love" is such a great Aspiration, and isn't something all but the most masochistic character's would wish for.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
    "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Sorry guys, have a tight schedule so I am not reading all of your posts , so forgive me if I repeat anything.

As a GM that likes very slow stories, I maybe can give you some inspirations, maybe anything is of use for you.

As an info, I like my stories "sandboxy", so I put much work building the whole city. I bulid all the quarters, the vampires. Every Vampire gets a few hooks and a story. The players get a location list with sides they can visit and off we go. It has surely the main disadvantage that you have much work before you can start, but it has the upside that you have not much work later and you have an extra motivation for your players: Exploration. They will stroll around, you can "activate" your stories when they are in the right place. Players will be curious about the things going on in the city, they will want to have feeding rights here and there. They just want to know, what´s going on.

Secondly, as B&S "dropped" the whole Vampire-structure, giving you more creative freedom in organizing their city, I tend to play the quarters very isolated. So you don´t get the approval or feeding rights from the Prince (or whatever he is called), you get it from the Duke (or whatever she is called). Then you have got another exploration advantage: They never get to see the Prince, not until much later. Maybe they don´t see much Vampires at all at first. So you´ll make them curious: Who is the Prince/ King, what the f*ck is going on, who exactly is in Power, who reigns the quarter right beside of me? You start to drop some names, they will get curious, they will know more and before they know it, they are in the middle of the dance macabre.

If you possess the book Dance Macabre, I would recommend every player to play with "Hell is other people". With that alone, you could (I´m not saying you should) throw all the "All-Night-Society" stuff away and play a game just revolving about your hunger, your love, your desire and what you break. It´s really horrifying and poetic.And you will have 7 characters that are somewhat alive and give the players something to do.

Speaking of which, the touchstones from vanilla or the Anchors from "Danse Macabre" or the other humans or vampires are always a good starting point. I tend to observe my players which NPC it is they are interested in. You will see very fast who they like the most. Search pics in the internet for them, just showing pics provokes reactions. I activate the stories about the NPCs they care about. And when they care, they will want to get involved. And in my opinion, they will care for somebody, always. Just take a very simplistic story: There is a vampire as young as the PCs. They like her, you feel that. So, say there are some people threatening the masquerate. The Duke or whatever he is called says: "Okay guys, find that one and take care of it". PCs investigating. They get a typical RPG archievment for this: Let´s say geeding rights in the hottest club. So, they find those people. But, they are actually quite nice. When they are going in for the kill, the nice vampire shows up to protect them. Turns out, the leader of the masquerate- threatening humans is actually the best friend/ lover of the vampire who wants to "turn her back to be a mortal". So, the PCs can take her down to take the humans down, they could help her cover it up and maybe they are even divided among themselves what to do. But I assure you, they are motivated! And this is just a very small story that can spiral out of control that gives material for 3 sessions.

The other great tool are the aspirations. They actually give Vampire a kind of indie game flair. Take the aspirations as orders. "This is want we want to see, this is what we should be able to accomplish." So, just take the aspirations seriously and deliver them what they want. If they want to "Get feeding rights in da club" give them the opportunity to get them. The Aspirations are a very coperative way to assure your players are motivated, you just have to deliver what they order. That doesn´t mean they should get it, more of they should have the opportunity to get it.

And lastly: When your Vampires are young: What is the difference of infiltrating a secure building or get the blood you need? You make skill test, have to be creative. Soo many things can go wrong, they will have to fix it. I make the feeding scenes the center of the action for the first few sessions. I let them roam and let them feel how fucking hard it is to snatch a victim and suck it dry without anyone seeing. I concentrate much on it, make it tense, make it hard. For me, feeding is just a mini adventure and my players appreciate that.

Maybe that was helpful. Have a nice weekend

Keep on gaming,

Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post

"Accidentally be the doom of the mortals I love"

Who the hell aspires to that? That seems more like a suggestion to the ST than a personal goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Who the hell aspires to that? That seems more like a suggestion to the ST than a personal goal.
          You should take a look at how the storytelling section explains Aspirations.

Originally posted by Vampire the Requiem, page 274

On the surface, Aspirations do two major things: They tell a Storyteller what you want to see in the game, and they give you a motivation even when your character might not have an immediate hook to the story. As it stands, they’re mostly open-ended — players can do with them what they please. However, the Storyteller can use minor focuses to deeply influence a chronicle....

... • Aspirations can be “meta.” The player knows them; the character doesn’t have to.
          If you, the player, would like your character to experience a story in which they accidentally doom the mortals they love, you should absolutely pick that as an Aspiration. It's a pretty good story beat and a great way to tell your Storyteller you want to see those characters get in trouble.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post

You should take a look at how the storytelling section explains Aspirations.

If you, the player, would like your character to experience a story in which they accidentally doom the mortals they love, you should absolutely pick that as an Aspiration. It's a pretty good story beat and a great way to tell your Storyteller you want to see those characters get in trouble.

That must be second edition, then. My first edition book is describing the New Orleans setting on that page.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

That must be second edition, then. My first edition book is describing the New Orleans setting on that page.
              Uh, yeah. Aspirations are a mechanic in the second edition. It's a safe assumption unless stated otherwise that conversations in this forum concern the second edition.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post

Uh, yeah. Aspirations are a mechanic in the second edition. It's a safe assumption unless stated otherwise that conversations in this forum concern the second edition.

That does seem to be the case most of the time. I bought the second edition core book when I picked up Beast, but otherwise, I've still got 1E Vamp and Wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                  Surely there's a word that begins with c.
                  Carotid.

You could always use an external threat/issue. Hunters screwing with the local political scene, mage machinations, even plain old mortal dickery. Fire forged friends can be made even after death, especially when you need them to survive.

Comment

Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post

Oh, so true. I would have a sit down talk with a player that made characters they were not interested in. Of course, point out Aspirations can be what the player wants for the character even if the character wouldn't want it.

"Accidentally be the doom of the mortals I love" is such a great Aspiration, and isn't something all but the most masochistic character's would wish for.
                    All too easily achieved with frenzy.

Comment

If your players are willing to be involved and the only question is why would their characters care, make your plot something that threatens their personal security even if only in a tertiary way. Protecting their own existence is a cause every vampire cares about.
                      ​It doesn't even have to be a violent threat, gentrification can wipe out a haven just as surely as an arsonists fire bomb.

Comment

Working...
                      X