Bloodlines for City of the Damned NPCs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodlines for City of the Damned NPCs

As far as I can tell only one NPC in the City of the Damned book has a bloodline. I'm guessing the book came out before a lot of the bloodlines were released in other books. So, I'm kind of curious to know what kind of bloodlines, if any, some of the Kindred of New Orleans should be given. Are there any appropriate bloodlines, or were the NPCs in City of the Damned supposed to be made as clan defaults? Has anyone given bloodlines to the New Orleans NPCs for their own Chronicles?

That's up to you. I dislike most of the published bloodlines because I think most of them are just examples of the developers' overpowered Mary Sue characters, they perpetuate obnoxious stereotypes, they're redundant, or inappropriate to my setting themes or just flat out stupid.
    I've used an occasional bloodline but they didn't waltz in with 4-7 in clan discipline spreads. If you want to use them I would advise you to consider the impact they'd have on the setting. If they're present at the start, how/why did they not depose a triad head? Or did they? If they arrive later, why were they allowed to stay? Vidal has always been meticulous about not allowing anyone who is not going to perpetuate his status quo or grant authority to anyone not loyal to him. They left Cimitiere's bloodline undisclosed for you to play with those implications.

Comment

Originally posted by tsusasi View Post
      I've used an occasional bloodline but they didn't waltz in with 4-7 in clan discipline spreads.
      All bloodlines have a 4 in-clan Discipline spread, though.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

All bloodlines have a 4 in-clan Discipline spread, though.
        Yes. And many of them trade OUT one that was previously IN clan for another discipline as well as getting a bloodline only power. Giving them an average of 5 disciplines.

Comment

I gotta admit I haven't read that many statted characters, but I was under the impression it was quite common to have around 5 Disciplines, not counting the sorceries or the Coils.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Antoine Savoy (my favorite in the book) could be a Toreador or a Duchagne, though I have a bias against Bloodlines since most of them are prolly written (though I do like Taifa, Khaibit, Erzsebet and the Architects of the Monolith)

Comment

I feel lIke the Appollinaire bloodline of Clan Ventrue might be appropriate. They're vodun Necromancers who give up an eye to Ghede for their power.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                I gotta admit I haven't read that many statted characters, but I was under the impression it was quite common to have around 5 Disciplines, not counting the sorceries or the Coils.
                Not neonates. And not at in clan prices. The "elders" in that book however look like they were trying to escape the mediocrity of being a mid level character in Vampire the Masquerade

Comment

Originally posted by tsusasi View Post
                  Not neonates. And not at in clan prices. The "elders" in that book however look like they were trying to escape the mediocrity of being a mid level character in Vampire the Masquerade
                  I am taking it you've been a member of a long standing VtM LARP club or troupe, because your "elders" critique is a bit cutting in way that implies you've been in the trenches where bonus starting XP either granted freely or through some type of Member Class system, plus a long running Chronicle causes a certain type of power proliferation not native in the setting material according to canon.
                  I have been a member of such groups, and now enjoy tabletop.

Personally I like creating all the lineages of the vampires in the region I am STing, because it helps shapes politics and web of relationships which thus then allows me to see which vampires might inherit easier access to Bloodlines. Most vampires in my settings are embraced by someone local as I like to make cities fairly demanding of immigrants as to proving they are worth the addition feeding strain. That means most vampires are directly descended from the vampires that first colonized an area, plus any survivors of the vampires there before massive population growth attracted immigrants. This gives me the chance to have a menu of potential sires for my PCs and thus hooks to connect them to the setting and I like world simulation and demographics so I have fun there too. Blood lines cluster in interesting ways when you consider Lineage.

I use the 100,000 mortal to each vampire ratio, meaning Globally there would only be 70,000. That's a small town, with only 5 major distinctions (aka Clans), which means 14,000 of each Clan if they are evenly divided, and that a very small town level of interconnection. Personally I don't think it is an even spread among Clans, I think likely Gangrel would out number the others, perhaps 20,000 world wide due to surviving in the places other Clans could not, meaning you'd have the most loose connections among them and even tighter connection among the others.
                  Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 08-15-2017, 09:11 AM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                  "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Yea, I've spent some time browsing through the bloodlines and so far I have not been impressed by what I've seen. I like the idea behind Bloodlines, but I think the execution was horribly messed up. There might be one or two I'll use, but for the most part I'm just going to use them as inspiration for character and NPC concepts.

Comment

City of the Damned was written before any of the bloodline books. (And partly concurrently with the 1e core.) There was also a rule back then against referencing anything from any non-core book. From memory, Chicago doesn't have many characters with bloodlines, for similar reasons.

Cavaliers of Mars Creator
                      Retired CofD Lead

Check out my guides to Vampire and my indie games!

Comment

Chicago doesn't have any vampires with Bloodlines (or Mages with Legacies) as written.

I wouldn't go hog wild with bloodlines for NO. A few possibilities, though:

- Baron Cimitiere is likely a member of a bloodline (as described in CotD), and possibly uses voudoun blood sorcery rather than Cruac, though that's got less to do with his lineage than his ritual practices.
                        - Pearl Chastain would make a good Toreador, and I've run her as such in my games.
                        - I could certainly see Vidal having established a line with similar traits to the Icarians. (LS book.) He might be passing these on to his adopted childe (whose name currently escapes me).
                        - Pierpont could possibly be a part of a bloodline, in keeping with his racism, though it might be more interesting if it's one with no mechanical benefits - just a lineage of Ventrue who think they're important.
                        - I could see Sam (the elder Gangrel who isn't statted) possessing abilities similar to the Mystikoi (Ancient Bloodlines) or Blood Tenebrous (from Book of Spirits, combined with some appropriate weakness). The Hierophant (whose name escapes me) might be studying with Sam to join said line... or trying to convince him to teach him.

And that's about it. Going further would probably be more distracting than useful.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexS View Post
                          Chicago doesn't have any vampires with Bloodlines (or Mages with Legacies) as written.

I wouldn't go hog wild with bloodlines for NO. A few possibilities, though:

- Baron Cimitiere is likely a member of a bloodline (as described in CotD), and possibly uses voudoun blood sorcery rather than Cruac, though that's got less to do with his lineage than his ritual practices.
                          - Pearl Chastain would make a good Toreador, and I've run her as such in my games.
                          - I could certainly see Vidal having established a line with similar traits to the Icarians. (LS book.) He might be passing these on to his adopted childe (whose name currently escapes me).
                          - Pierpont could possibly be a part of a bloodline, in keeping with his racism, though it might be more interesting if it's one with no mechanical benefits - just a lineage of Ventrue who think they're important.
                          - I could see Sam (the elder Gangrel who isn't statted) possessing abilities similar to the Mystikoi (Ancient Bloodlines) or Blood Tenebrous (from Book of Spirits, combined with some appropriate weakness). The Hierophant (whose name escapes me) might be studying with Sam to join said line... or trying to convince him to teach him.

And that's about it. Going further would probably be more distracting than useful.
                          Those are great ideas I'm unashamedly stealing for my NOLA chronicle. Thanks!

Also, I've made Phillip Maldonato (Felipe Maldonado in my games) a servitor Khaibit.
                          There's a Nosferatu couple from House Telamones that came to the city after Katrina. The nominally belong to the Invictus, but they keep mostly to themselves.

I'm really not that well-versed in Requiem lore, so any other suggestions are welcomed.

Comment

Malocians from the Invictus book are good as their housebound, but usualy well versed...

Comment

Working...
                            X