The Heirs of Odin: A Ventrue Bloodline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Heirs of Odin: A Ventrue Bloodline

So, after spending some time on these forums and rarely contributing any material I’ve decided to give a shot at some homebrew material. These first few bloodlines I will be writing will be based upon Norse Mythology, but if all goes well (if people like what I put out) I will delve into other inspirations.
    So here we go, the Heirs of Odin.

“Our great forefather was blessed by the Lord of Asgard; Lord Odin gave unto us his many gifts, and you shall know them most painfully.”

The Heirs of Odin; it sounds arrogant to name yourself after a god, but for the Ventrue it is par for the course.

History: The Heirs of Odin often tell that their founder was blessed by Odin to help fight the forces of Ragnarok. After all, mortal servants have time as their eternal enemy, and they soon grow withered and frail: the immortal Kindred, on the other hand, have time as their ally in their war, and they only grow stronger with time.

Covenants: The Heirs of Odin are often found within the Circle of the Crone; this covenant brings an army of blood sorcerers in service to the ancient gods, so the Heirs of Odin often feel comfortable here in both practicality and spirituality.

The Heirs of Odin more often than not oppose the Ordo Dracul; while the Ordo Dracul would be a useful ally when the Heirs of Odin fight the forces of Ragnarok, but it is their philosophy that puts the two at odds. The Ordo Dracul have a mission statement of defying the gods by changing their nature, and some Ordo Dracul have the outright intention of knocking the gods off their thrones, and by doing so Ragnarok will occur.

The Becoming: A potential Heir of Odin must offer the Bloodline some advantage with staving off Ragnarok; whether this be a large access to supplies, great shamanic knowledge and abilities, or by being a great warrior. The Heirs of Odin have no time for the weak and useless.

Clan: Ventrue

Nickname: Odin’s Hall, Odinsons

Disciplines: Dominate, Animalism, Resilience, Auspex

Bloodline Bane: The Heirs of Odin are relentless in their pursuits; in fact, they must be. A Heir of Odin that doesn’t work towards their current goals will begin taking a negative one penalty towards resisting frenzy each night they remain inactive.

Once the Heir of Odin reaches a chance die they will automatically frenzy with no option of resisting: they must either ride the wave or succumb. After this frenzy the Heir of Odin lose all penalties to resisting, but the cycle will continue if they don't pursue their current goals.

Torpor does not apply any penalties to the Heir of Odin once they awaken.

Bloodline Gift: The Gift of Shamans
    Much like Odin, his heirs are often Shamans as well. The Heir of Odin receives an honorary Spirit Rank equal to half his blood potency rounded down.
    A Heir of Odin may spend a vitae to see spirits within the twilight, and their Discipline of Animalism works on these Animistic entities so long as said entity does not represent one of the Kindred’s banes.

So there we have it. Like it, hate it, your choice. I would appreciate some criticism on the matter before I put out the other bloodlines, but please make it constructive criticism. Oh, and if you have any questions on why I did any of the stuff above then please just ask in the thread. I'll try to get you an answer when I can.
    Last edited by Ever Professional; 08-21-2017, 11:50 PM. Reason: Grammar.

Very cool idea! I love the honorary spirit rank as a bloodline gift for vampires!

One question/suggestion though... and I really don't mean to offend with it. Is there any other possible name you could give them? Heirs of Odin? Odinsons? I ask because the Sons of Odin, at least in Canada, is an anti-immigration group that spews hateful crap at anyone they deem not to be "Western." I have absolutely zero doubt that the names are 100% coincidence. I just cringe whenever I hear "Sons of Odin" these days.

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), The Hedge (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
      Very cool idea! I love the honorary spirit rank as a bloodline gift for vampires!

One question/suggestion though... and I really don't mean to offend with it. Is there any other possible name you could give them? Heirs of Odin? Odinsons? I ask because the Sons of Odin, at least in Canada, is an anti-immigration group that spews hateful crap at anyone they deem not to be "Western." I have absolutely zero doubt that the names are 100% coincidence. I just cringe whenever I hear "Sons of Odin" these days.

Oh my god, I didn't know that. Yeah, they can totally have a different name. I just went with Sons of Odin because it was the first thing that popped in my head. But yeah, they can totally have a different name. I'm an American, so I really don't know much about canadian stuff despite living relatively close to it. So yeah, I'll definitely change the name. Thanks for telling me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ever Professional View Post

Oh my god, I didn't know that. Yeah, they can totally have a different name. I just went with Sons of Odin because it was the first thing that popped in my head. But yeah, they can totally have a different name. I'm an American, so I really don't know much about canadian stuff despite living relatively close to it. So yeah, I'll definitely change the name. Thanks for telling me.
        Absolutely no worries. It is a good, logical name for a Bloodline, it just happened to have already been stolen by a group of people who "swear they aren't racist." Honestly, if I wasn't a news junkie and if this didn't hit particularly close to home for me, I may not have known about it either.

Anyhow... really cool idea, awesome mechanics, and very evocative mythology! I hope you get time to expand on them!

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), The Hedge (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

Second Chances I've tried changing the topic name, but I don't know how to do that. I have changed the name in the writing though. Can a mod change the topic name, or is there something I can do on my end?

Comment

Second Chances I've tried changing the topic name, but I don't know how to do that. I have changed the name in the writing though. Can a mod change the topic name, or is there something I can do on my end?
            I think Charlaquin said that something's up with the boards in that regard. If you PM her, I bet she can change it for you.

Comment

Yeah, for some reason only mods can change thread titles, but if you let me know what you want it changed to I'll take care of it.

EDIT: Actually I just went and changed it to match the name you changed it to in the post. Let me know if you'd like anything else about it changed.
              Last edited by Charlaquin; 08-21-2017, 11:21 PM.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

Yeah, for some reason only mods can change thread titles, but if you let me know what you want it changed to I'll take care of it.

EDIT: Actually I just went and changed it to match the name you changed it to in the post. Let me know if you'd like anything else about it changed.
                No, I think I'm good on my end. Anyway, thanks for the assistance.

Comment

No, I think I'm good on my end. Anyway, thanks for the assistance.
                  No problem!

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

mmm... not sure how Animalism can work on spirits, considering many of them (rank 2 and above) are sapient beings albeit aliens in their perspective.

Comment

Most levels of Animalism work on humans, vampires, and other supernaturals now.

Comment

Originally posted by Raistlin View Post
                        mmm... not sure how Animalism can work on spirits, considering many of them (rank 2 and above) are sapient beings albeit aliens in their perspective.
                        The first three levels animalism are just for animals. Levels four and five allow for tapping into that primal thought in humans, Kindred, and other supernaturals. I could limit it to Animistic spirits, seeing as that was the primary goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Raistlin View Post
                          May be so, but even more specifically, Spirits are predators. I'd allow it on that basis alone.

Comment

Edit: Nevermind

Bloodline: The Stygians
                            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

It seems we think alike, I'm working on a Mekhet bloodline that combines Animalism and Auspex to commune with spirits.
                              I can't remember if I had any other good ideas but one devotion was Auspex 3 Animalism 1 to make a offer where a spirit gets the Vitae spent on the devotion as Essence and if they fail to keep their end of the deal they suffer a level of Vinculum, what behaviour this breeds is questionable as you're dealing with spirits who might express their affection in any number of ways.

Comment

Working...
                              X