This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vampire: The Requiem's art throughout the years

I can't help but think that this wonderful game has had quite a bumpy ride when it comes to art, and I'm really sad about the current quality we are given.

I mean how did we go from wonderfully thematic, dark and gritty art like this:

To rather lively, but no less astonishing pieces like this:

And then eventually deteriorating to what can only be describe as garbage in the last few years:

With all due respect, what the hell is that Marilyn Manson-looking lady doing on the cover of a book supposedly about powerful, old and influential Elders?

VTR 2ED had some very good art but it's nothing compared to Night Horrors - Immortal Sinners, nothing compared to Kiss of the Succubus or Shadows in the Dark, what happened? Was Vampire: The Requiem better off when it belonged to Crowd Control Productions? I used to go to REQUIEM for quality but now it seems like it's sinking in the same boat with its predecessor.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against the writers, only the artists, Rose Bailey is one of my favorite RPG authors of all time
    Last edited by Shawarbaaz; 08-22-2017, 07:24 PM.

You see, I think the art in Thousand Years of Night is way better and much more envocative than the two B&W pieces you have used as examples. Not that either of those are bad, but the full colour art of recent years has been one of the draws Requiem 2e. It's art, so different people will have different opinions, but we've had that conversation before. Calling it garbage is a step too far. You could have easily left this at "I don't like it and this is why."

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

I didn't get into the line until 2E, but I have to say that the gorgeous art in the 2E core was a huge draw for me. I love nearly every piece in it.

Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
      Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
        You see, I think the art in Thousand Years of Night is way better and much more envocative than the two B&W pieces you have used as examples. Not that either of those are bad, but the full colour art of recent years has been one of the draws Requiem 2e. It's art, so different people will have different opinions, but we've had that conversation before. Calling it garbage is a step too far. You could have easily left this at "I don't like it and this is why."
        Art is subjective, but good art vs. bad art is a pretty OBJECTIVE thing. especially when it comes to quality of content, thematic value and clarity that it gives the player and buyer. Readers should look at an artwork and be inspired, feel its power.

I mean dude what on god's green earth is this?

If anyone would think this is good I'd feel sorry for them.

Comment

Creating a thread just to call an artists's work garbage is a personal attack.

Insulting people for disagreeing with you on art is also a personal attack.

This isn't strike 1 either. You've been warned for skirting the edge of decency and this is an escalation to a direct violation of the rules.

When you come back in a week, please be respectful to those who contribute to the products as well as other members of the community.

As an example, try something like this.

Originally posted by Example
          I really love and miss the old art style and would like to see something like it again. I strongly prefer it to the current direction
          Last edited by Sparketh; 08-22-2017, 08:36 PM. Reason: Example

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
          Read the rules

This is my mod voice.
          This is not my mod voice.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawarbaaz View Post
            Art is subjective, but good art vs. bad art is a pretty OBJECTIVE thing.
            Well hullo Contradictory Statement of the Day...especially when in combination with this:

If anyone would think this is good I'd feel sorry for them.
            Anyways...

I mean dude what on god's green earth is this?
            ...a vampire elder lording over their followers/cult? Not hard to see that.

-------------------------------------------------------

No, my issue with the cover of Thousand Years of Nights has nothing to do with the technical skill applied, but more to do with the artwork. "Sexy lady that's just standing there" doesn't exactly make for an interesting bit of cover art, especially if you wanted to attract potential customers with the cover.

Comment

Man, both of the examples you used as bad art I find absolutely stunning, and evoke the feel of Requiem to me far better than any of the three pieces you propped up as examples of how great the line's art used to be. Not that those three were bad pieces, but I much prefer the latter two. I also don't love all of the art in the 2e Requiem books, nor all the art in the 1e Requiem books for that matter. But the examples you chose just gave me literally the opposite of the reaction I think you were going for.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Working...
              X