bloodlines: devotions or disciplines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bloodlines: devotions or disciplines

I'm kind of curious to know why Khaibit had their Obtenebration discipline turned into a series of devotions, but yet the Morbus kept Cachexy as a discipline. I really liked how the 2nd edition Bloodlines were turning more towards unique merits, devotions, and Bloodline gifts and was really sad to see Morbus thrown back to the old discipline style Bloodlines. Was it decided that converting disciplines into devotions was not the way to go with bloodlines?

Cachexy works like a collection of powers that complements and builds on each other, so the structure of a Discipline was more fitting than Obtenebration's thematic but distinct powers that went all over the place in comparison.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

Has the Morbus boodline officially been translated for 2ed? Where can I find it?

Comment

Dark Eras Companion.

LAND OF THE DAMNED: SPAIN (Spanish): Land of the Damned: Spain, Kingdoms of Blood: Spain; Cities of the Damned: Barcelona, Valencia, Carthian Constitution (1812), Three Arrows Pact:

OTHERS (Spanish): Demon: The Redemption, Bloodlines: The Forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by Uxas View Post
          Dark Eras Companion.

I don't have it but I would be very interested in knowing how they translated them. Could someone please write something about Cachexy ??

Comment

p. 112

"Cachexy allows a wielder to selectively spread or worsen any one of the diseases that he has sampled throughout his unlife. They may choose to spread a truly vicious disease like the Black Death or smallpox, but they could also choose a less grave condition. For rules on disease in general see Vampire: The Requiem Second Edition, p. 183, or Chronicles of Darkness, p. 96."

Discipline powers are:
            1. Diagnosis -- required for feeding since the Morbus need sick blood to digest
            2. Contaminate -- a surface/object, using vitae
            3. Inflame -- worsens illness condition effects
            4. Plague-Bearer -- wander around making people (including vampires) sick in your wake
            5. Accelerate Disease -- a [overly-mundane name for a] power that literally direct-damages the mortal with lethal disease effects

#1 is always on, and #5 takes a willpower, while the rest use vitae for activation.

For some reason the Morbus are the least-popular people in the room. Who knows?

Back to the OP.... Anyway, I actually didn't think much about the power set until now, but it does have a smooth ramp-up and as such I can see why it's structured as a Discipline. That said, I'm a bit disappointed that "Discipline" only means "an orderly progression of abilities from dot 1 to 5". So, for Bloodlines then we have Discipline, Devotion clusters, supernatural Merits, and supernatural Merits with Devotion clusters. Are there any other structures used so far?

--Khanwulf

Comment

Interesting. I haven't had the chance to pick up the Dark Eras Companion yet. So this implies that 1e bloodlines whose Disciplines have a progressive structure will keep it as a Discipline, those with a less progressive structure will get it turned into a Devotion suite or Supernatural Merit. So I can see the Norvegi get Protean and Resilience and then get their unique Discipline converted into a series of Devotions.

Now the question is, do I keep doing my own conversions in the style of "4 Common/Clan Disciplines, and the Unique is a Devotion/Merit Set"?
              Last edited by Haberdasher; 09-22-2017, 04:10 PM.

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

I'm not the biggest fan of bloodlines, I think about 90% of the ones from 1st edition could easily be forgotten about, but there are some that are really good. I'd really like to see more official conversions of 1e bloodlines, and maybe a couple brand new ones. It would have been nice if the ones posted on the blog became more of a regular thing, but a book of 2e bloodlines would be most welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post
                  I'm not the biggest fan of bloodlines, I think about 90% of the ones from 1st edition could easily be forgotten about, but there are some that are really good. I'd really like to see more official conversions of 1e bloodlines, and maybe a couple brand new ones. It would have been nice if the ones posted on the blog became more of a regular thing, but a book of 2e bloodlines would be most welcome.
                  I think the Spilled Blood book will include 2e bloodlines in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
                    p. 112

That said, I'm a bit disappointed that "Discipline" only means "an orderly progression of abilities from dot 1 to 5".

--Khanwulf
                    Well, yeah, that's kind of what comes to mind when you think of the word 'disciplined.' A set of skills or talents that are the result of constant practice and study.

While the nature of 'devotions' is also appropriately fitting. It's a specific type of skill that came about as the result of dedicated training in a previously existing skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Haberdasher View Post
                      Now the question is, do I keep doing my own conversions in the style of "4 Common/Clan Disciplines, and the Unique is a Devotion/Merit Set"?
                      I'd personally just write up what you want the Bloodline to be able to do, then see which format it works best in. No reason to restrict yourself.

Comment

Y'all think some bloodlines having disciplines is a problem. How do I pronounce Obtenebration devotion names?
                        Me: "I activate Pseshkf."
                        ST: "Gesundheit."
                        Me:

Comment

My problem with Obtenebration is that the gift name and Devotion names comes from different languages

Bloodline: The Stygians
                          Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

Originally posted by Ever Professional View Post

I think the Spilled Blood book will include 2e bloodlines in it.

Spilled Blood book? Is there information about this book somewhere? I can't seem to find anything about it

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post

Spilled Blood book? Is there information about this book somewhere? I can't seem to find anything about it
                              I'm fairly sure it was one of the books announced at gencon this year. It's supposed to be stuff on Bloodlines, Lost Clans, and non-Kindred vampires, if memory serves.

Comment

Working...
                              X