bloodlines: devotions or disciplines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ever Professional View Post

I'm fairly sure it was one of the books announced at gencon this year. It's supposed to be stuff on Bloodlines, Lost Clans, and non-Kindred vampires, if memory serves.
    Very cool, I wonder if it'll be new bloodlines, conversions of 1st edition ones, or a mix of both. Any word on a release date? Or is it just "coming soon"?

Comment

Originally posted by Haberdasher View Post
      Now the question is, do I keep doing my own conversions in the style of "4 Common/Clan Disciplines, and the Unique is a Devotion/Merit Set"?
      I think you'll have to make a call on that on a bloodline-by-bloodline basis. The Morbus have the following Disciplines: Auspex, Celerity, Cachexy, Obfuscate. Obviously Cachexy is occupying a slot that would be another in-clan discipline in a merit or devotion-mix power set. That fact actually weakens the Morbus slightly and should be accounted for in translating other bloodlines over.

Oddly enough, there is a throwaway comment in the Cachexy description to the effect that "facility with the Discipline is enough to be considered a member of the bloodline, according to most authorities." This is... interesting. It either implies that knowing Cachexy is enough to be inducted into the bloodline (which means you imbibed a blood point and were schooled in its use, regardless of original clan) but is vague as to that induction is a social or mechanical connection. In other words, whether you get the ire of the local Prince, or the bloodline curse AND his ire!

This is a useful line, in that it is the first published 2e bloodline that has a Discipline per se and gives us slight guidance on how to handle learning it. It remains, however, vague enough to be contentious until the Spilled Blood book presumably clarifies things.

Introducing a new Discipline in 2e is kinda a big deal, since it CAN be learned, mechanically speaking, through the usual means. This, while other bloodline power sets are highly exclusive and require bloodline membership restricted to certain clans at least!

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
        Introducing a new Discipline in 2e is kinda a big deal, since it CAN be learned, mechanically speaking, through the usual means. This, while other bloodline power sets are highly exclusive and require bloodline membership restricted to certain clans at least!

What makes you think this?

Originally posted by VtR pg98
        A given bloodline may have one unique Discipline; and nobody outside the bloodline can learn their gift, even through diablerie.

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
          Oddly enough, there is a throwaway comment in the Cachexy description to the effect that "facility with the Discipline is enough to be considered a member of the bloodline, according to most authorities." This is... interesting. It either implies that knowing Cachexy is enough to be inducted into the bloodline (which means you imbibed a blood point and were schooled in its use, regardless of original clan) but is vague as to that induction is a social or mechanical connection. In other words, whether you get the ire of the local Prince, or the bloodline curse AND his ire!

This is a useful line, in that it is the first published 2e bloodline that has a Discipline per se and gives us slight guidance on how to handle learning it. It remains, however, vague enough to be contentious until the Spilled Blood book presumably clarifies things.

--Khanwulf
          There's mention in the San Francisco write-up from the core book that the San Fran Nosferatu are far more disease-oriented than the norm and might have talent with Cachexy, and that the S.F. Haunts may have been founded by an elder who snacked on a few Morbi a while ago... So I'll wait for Spilled Blood to settle the argument.

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

Working...
          X