Unaligned in 2ED?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unaligned in 2ED?

Why weren't the Unaligned mentioned at all in 2ED? Are they still a thing? Why were they given an entire entry in 1ED but ignored completely in the 2ED?

(Also any idea what happened to Belial's Brood?)

Re: Unaligned - They still exist. Their existence is implied by the fact that not every vampire is a member of a Covenant. Space is limited, and it would be pretty silly to dedicate a Covenant-length writeup to a non-group defined entirely by not being part of any of the five groups.

Re: Belial's Brood - we've been assured that they're still a thing that exists in the setting, but they didn't have the word count to do them justice in the core. I was hoping they'd get more mention or at least be hinted at in Secrets of the Covenants, but no such luck. Currently the most we have on them is the Pledge of the Worthless One Theban Rite.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I'm hoping for a 2nd Edition Inferno which will include the demon-worshippers from the various splats.

Comment

Unaligned are still a thing. Covenants seem to be depicted as stand out aspects of a character, rather than a given. If you aren't a member of the covenant, then you have your clan to help define you. There's not really a need for an unaligned entry.

It's likely the only reason unaligned had an entry in first edition was because people coming from Masquerade probably thought you had to pick a side.

Comment

One thing on unaligned, I get a disproportianal number of Unaligned char concepts in my game and it makes me wonder what the apeal is.

To me it seems crass and pointless...

Comment

The appeal is freedom. Freedom to do what you want to do without being tied down by a specific thing or person. Often covenants come with strings attached and a lot of people want to be free of that to explore their new life ( or unlife ) without that weight.

Second.. Sometimes it's more fun to develop the reasons and justifications in game than to just say. "Yup I am part of this."

Comment

Yep, Unaligned are totally still a thing in 2e. And Danielle and I were just talking about the return of the Brood yesterday...

Rose Bailey
              Onyx Path Development Producer
              Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

Woo! Glad to hear it!

I like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                  One thing on unaligned, I get a disproportianal number of Unaligned char concepts in my game and it makes me wonder what the apeal is.

To me it seems crass and pointless...
                  Agreed, really hard to get them involved in city politics without being members of a Covenant, where's the fun in that? But it makes sense that some freedom-loving vampires wouldn't want to be tied to a Covenant.

Comment

Oh on the unbound, would it make a bad start for PC's to start as unbound and seek acceptance in a covenant?

If they were abandoned by their sires or some such?

Comment

In the clan books, the unaligned are sometimes depicted as a faction of their own, usually populist movements built around a particularly influential member of a clan.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                        Oh on the unbound, would it make a bad start for PC's to start as unbound and seek acceptance in a covenant?

If they were abandoned by their sires or some such?
                        Usually characters who seek acceptance into a Covenant has the Covenant they want to join listed on their sheet (Name: Alexandra, Clan: Ventrue, Covenant: Invictus) but they will not be considered a full member or get any privileges unless they has at least one dot of Covenant Status.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
                          Yep, Unaligned are totally still a thing in 2e. And Danielle and I were just talking about the return of the Brood yesterday...
                          I love VTR 2ed but I can't help but feel it has stepped over vital information, such as city politics and city position, there's almost no entry or chapter detailing the duties of Prince, Harpy, Sheriff, Hound, Primogen, etc. I know this is common knowledge for veterans but could've been useful for newcomers.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawarbaaz View Post

I love VTR 2ed but I can't help but feel it has stepped over vital information, such as city politics and city position, there's almost no entry or chapter detailing the duties of Prince, Harpy, Sheriff, Hound, Primogen, etc. I know this is common knowledge for veterans but could've been useful for newcomers.
                            I think that's because there would be a tonne of cities and regions where there would be no Prince/Harpy/Sheriff/Hound/Primogen/etc., since 2e has moved away from "Everywhere in the world is the same".

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
                              I think that's because there would be a tonne of cities and regions where there would be no Prince/Harpy/Sheriff/Hound/Primogen/etc., since 2e has moved away from "Everywhere in the world is the same".
                              I didn't see it that way but it seemed like it was stirring in that direction, though Covenants being an international phenomena doesn't help the whole "everywhere is not the same" thing don't you think?

Comment

Working...
                              X