No announcement yet.

Vampires and Mirrors, Cameras, and Video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt it would do anything if you staked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
      What happens if you place a staked vampire in a fully mirrored chamber, with video surveillance mounted in each corner of the room (including floors)? Remove stake.

SCP wishes to understand the subject.

--Khanwulf

PS. Bonus to avoid an "obvious" out: vampire possesses no Celerity Discipline skill.
      One of two things happens.
      1. The vampire doesn't have to do anything special since his captors created a vanishing box for him. Illusionists often use mirrors angled as you've described to make things disappear. The video surveillance only serves to enhance the mystique of the "disappearance".
      2. Trying to photograph or film a reflection creates a visual distortion. (Try and take a picture of a program on your television screen or something behind a glass case with your smartphone and look at the picture closely to see what I'm talking about.) Several mirrors reflecting images back and forth off each other and being recorded only exacerbates the mess.

Comment

What ever preserves the masquerade best happens. Either nothing, or the pictures gets distorted. Although i would say it still works on an unconscious level when the vampire is in torpor.
        The beast distorts the picture if it's in the best way of preserving the masquerade, random looped foto, underexposure, malfunction or a clear image of the vampire in question. Whatever preserves the masque the better in that instance.

Comment

Shucks, I was hoping for a perpetual motion solution (at least until blood runs out).

Revision: a single, full-length mirror on one wall. No furniture or other details.

(Answer is of course: camera failure. I suppose the beast could reflexively break things as well, as in a few vampire movies where Dracula or whatnot flinches and the mirror shatters.)

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            I doubt it would do anything if you staked it.
            Opps, missed the staked part. :P

Comment

To be fair, Khanwulf noted 'Remove stake.' before the reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabanese View Post
                Opps, missed the staked part. :P
                Yeah, nofather's right. I didn't read it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                  Apparently it's similar. Like mirrors caught a reflection of your soul, so to do photographs and their more modern variants.
                  Dammit, so I have to get rid of my Ventrue YouTube celebrity character concept? Fuck

This doesn't apply to 2ed right? The book doesn't mention it at all

Comment

if the book doesn't mention it, i would guess it's up to the gm, the truth and lies sidebar doesn't even strictly say vampires don't show up properly in mirrors "not so much that we don't. More that you never see us coming", don't know if its mentioned elsewhere in the book

Comment

Originally posted by Shawarbaaz View Post

Dammit, so I have to get rid of my Ventrue YouTube celebrity character concept? Fuck

This doesn't apply to 2ed right? The book doesn't mention it at all
                      As far as I am aware a vampire can decide not to follow their instincts and let the video/photograph work as intended. It's just their instinct to shift their heads and what not.

Comment

I've ruled that it's like breathing. It's subconscious most of the time, but you can stop doing it deliberately if you want. It's not a Bane, after all. It shouldn't behave as a disadvantage, just a way to give your players some protection against Masquerade breaches that would be near impossible to avoid otherwise.

It just makes the Beast uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable, when I had my players walk through a House of Mirrors.

Comment

Working...
                        X