Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternate names for clans (those taken from masquerade specifically)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    Singular would be Lar. Similar to how Julii is the plural of Julius.

    Stupid latin correspondance course.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
      Singular would be Lar. Similar to how Julii is the plural of Julius.
      I know- but I feel like Clan Lares just doesn't have the "right ring" to my taste (and Clan Lar sounds less pleasant). However, my personal taste is not important- Maitrecorbo's does, so its not really relevant.


      My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

      On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
      I now blog in here

      Comment


      • #18
        To be completely honest Ventrue is one of the most fitting names for any Clan, since back in the day a big belly means someone is rich (able to afford a lot of food) and Ventrue itself is an anagram of Venture, as in business venture, and vampires from the Clan are known to be shrewd business persons.

        It's definitely better than Daeva, since the Hindu mythology the name is drawn from has almost nothing to do with seduction and sexual predators.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Shawarbaaz View Post
          It's definitely better than Daeva, since the Hindu mythology the name is drawn from has almost nothing to do with seduction and sexual predators.
          I believe that in their case, it is the Persian version of the Daeva instead of the Hindu one (you know, demons which tempt mankind to sin)


          My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

          On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
          I now blog in here

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Shawarbaaz View Post
            To be completely honest Ventrue is one of the most fitting names for any Clan, since back in the day a big belly means someone is rich (able to afford a lot of food) and Ventrue itself is an anagram of Venture, as in business venture, and vampires from the Clan are known to be shrewd business persons.
            I get what you mean, but here the goal is to offer a new perspective to a player who is confusing the Requiem Ventrue with the Masquerade Ventrue and that is causing the character to pass some interesting opportunities for his character.
            As for using Lares instead of Ventrue, the game i am running is set in Venice in 1205 and i plan to have it run toward modern nights so ventrue is a term that is a bit to contemporary to the setting for it to be a common use. (same reason i wanted a different name for the nosferatu)


            Originally posted by LostLight View Post
            I know- but I feel like Clan Lares just doesn't have the "right ring" to my taste (and Clan Lar sounds less pleasant).
            I think its because the one syllable name sounds off when next to the other clan names. Still, i think i'll try it first see if it help my player.

            The responses here made me ponder how much using clan names happens in organic in-character conversations versus using nicknames and such. Still, if a PC wants to do some research on the different Curses (love that term instead of Clan) i'll use Lares for Ventrue.

            Comment


            • #21
              If the Ventrue in your setting trace their immediate ancestry to a single or pair of Ventrue, you could have their name derived from THAT character. One of my defunct characters in one setting was a Ventrue who's grandsire established a vampire presence in the city and all but two (Ventrue) vampires traced their origins to her or her twin. Subsequent Ventrue were usually referred to by others as that surname instead of Ventrue even if they weren't descended from either twin.

              Comment


              • #22
                On the question of using "Clan"... you might substitute "Tribe" as being appropriate and ancient. The usual derivations were Tribe -> Clan -> Family, where Tribes could and did identify themselves upward into a people-group such as the Avars, Lombards, Britons and the like. Clan would then represent a lineage going back and/or a regional affiliation of a single tribe. ("The Tribe of Ventrue of the Clan of Rochester, Family of Uthred the Unready, Childe of Sandra the Harpy")

                My sire and I against the Family
                The Family against the Clan
                The Clan against the Tribe
                The Tribe against the Darkness

                --Khanwulf

                Edit PS: You could even drop "clan" entirely in favor of identifying bloodline, if you wished.
                Last edited by Khanwulf; 10-19-2017, 02:57 PM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
                  Context:
                  ... this is my one player who has prior experience with Masquerade and this must've colored how he looked at clans like the ventrue and the gangrel.
                  I assume as well that you've pointed out to the player that there is no low/high clan dichotomy at work, and that the "clans" are essentially divided up according to iconic vampiric roles. As such the Gangrel are the wildlings and savages, close to nature and their Beast, and the Ventrue are "those who rule"--and *what* they rule, or where they're from to do that, is essentially unimportant to the fact that they rule.

                  Meanwhile the Daeva are "those who seduce", Nosferatu are "those who are scary" and Mekhet are "those unseen who know secrets".

                  The reduction from 13 primary clans to 5 in VtR means that the clans define characters only very broadly, with much more wiggle-room within them. It's sub-clan bloodlines that start to get into the territory that Masquerade would call "clan" previously.

                  Hope this helps,
                  --Khanwulf

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I apologise for being slightly off topic but as someone with little understanding of Masqurade I would like an understanding of what misconceptions I might need to account for if I need to introduce someone to Requiem. I know that Ventrue replaced Presence (now Magisty) with Animalism and Nosferatu replaced Animalism with Nightmare but beyond that I wouldn't know how to account for their assumptions.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I would tell them forget VtM, they are not the same clans and to actually read the clan descriptions.


                      SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        One thing that might trip masqueraders up is that requiem Nosferatu are scary, not ugly. In requiem you could have one that looks completely normal but, like, constantly cries blood or something.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by tsusasi View Post
                          If the Ventrue in your setting trace their immediate ancestry to a single or pair of Ventrue, you could have their name derived from THAT character. One of my defunct characters in one setting was a Ventrue who's grandsire established a vampire presence in the city and all but two (Ventrue) vampires traced their origins to her or her twin. Subsequent Ventrue were usually referred to by others as that surname instead of Ventrue even if they weren't descended from either twin.
                          This works. It can also be applied to the place the first Ventrue in the region come from. If he or she came from Central Spain, they might be dubbed the Castilians in that area, for example.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            And it could be fun for characters meeting diverging opinion for where does the curse comes from (with spanish ventrue having a different name than say venetian ventrue. That will increase my research load... which i am very okay with ).
                            One of the thing i am working on for my setting is that if you dont belong to a particular bloodline you get a ''common'' family name derived from your clan. So I've been researching words and names in venetian for that. Tho i dont plan to have a particular clan have a special origin in venice.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Gallus View Post
                              I would tell them forget VtM, they are not the same clans and to actually read the clan descriptions.

                              Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                              One thing that might trip masqueraders up is that requiem Nosferatu are scary, not ugly. In requiem you could have one that looks completely normal but, like, constantly cries blood or something.
                              Thanks both, anything else I should know?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                All the clans already have some nicknames. Nosferatu are Haunts, Daeva Serpents, Ventrue Lords, Gangrel Savages, and Mekhet Shadows.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X