Weihann Cynn--how do you run them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weihann Cynn--how do you run them?

As in the subject line: I'm interested in better understanding how you may have used the Weihann Cynn as a Covenant, and what kinds of pitfalls and concerns cropped up.

My understanding of their power set is that you select the specific or broad supernatural contact you want, and take Contact with the Uncanny at various dots to represent that. There is a great deal that is left to the Storyteller in what's written. For example: how does the character acquire the contact to begin with? Do the Weihann Cynn run meet-and-greets? Or can you go to a more established elder and ask for an introduction? Any of these could work, but the text is silent.

And then there's the Masquerade, which technically should demand that the kinds of knowledge-based contracts the Weihann Cynn truck in result in Final Death. Or, death for the mortal/supernatural who now knows more than they should about vamps (i.e. that they exist). I suppose this could be a major point of conflict between the Invictus and Weihann Cynn, since the former is the champion of the Masquerade, after all.

And then there's contacting the supernatural... um, contact.... While some you can walk down the street and knock on their doors, it's not clear for example how you might reach others like ghosts and spirits--or even if that's a matter left to personal solution outside of covenant concerns!

So what else has come up for you with these guys? I'm planning on using them, so anything is helpful.

--Khanwulf

The Masquerade is a shield between vampires and humanity, not vampires and other supernaturals, so that part wouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
      The Masquerade is a shield between vampires and humanity, not vampires and other supernaturals, so that part wouldn't be a problem.

I suspected that would be the answer, but left the red meat in there anyway. Some Invictus have issues with ghouls--seeing them as walking violations. Others I suspect would hold that *any* contact with outsiders that confirm the existence of vampires places all at risk. This may have contributed to the eventual extinction of the Weihann Cynn as a separate Covenant.

They certainly seem different enough that it's hard to imagine them as Crone, though that's probably where their adherents ended up.

--Khanwulf

Comment

First, the Tradition of Masquerade in Requiem is not such an iron-clad command as it's in Vampire: The Masquerde. Even worse, it's a Tradition handed down by the Lancea et Sanctum. Secondly, the Invictus doesn't enforce the Masquerade by inflicting Final Death on the offenders. They are usually not that powerful compared to the other covenants. The Invictus use their influence to cover up Masquerade breaches, at least that's my understanding. Of course, this will most likely end-up indebting the Kindred who has effed things up. That's for example what the Merit "Where the bodies are buried" is for. Lastly, trafficking with other Supernaturals is not really a breach of the Masquerade.

Now, on to the subject of the Weihann Cynn. I guess, when you join the covenant, you will end up performing higher level services (5-7) together with others, and the opposite side ends up owing you small favors in return. Or you are asked to perform a service for a more established member of the covenant. Thus, you are recognized as go-between and can start asking for favors in return. I think it's mostly small steps taken that enable you to gain trust from the other side, and thus enable you to ask bigger things. First, you ask for something trivial, and fulfill a trivial request in return. This way, you establish trust, and show the other side that you are willing to uphold your end of the bargain. As your power, influence and knowledge as a Kindred increase, you will be able to perform greater services, and be able to ask for greater aid in return.

Imagine the Ieldra who could probably move most of her domain to assist in a mysterious endeavor, simply by commanding lesser Kindred, calling in favors owed, and granting favors. This will deeply indebt her or burn up resources and good-will. But when she comes through, she will be able to ask something similar in return.

Comment

Thanks Murder-of-Crows, I reread bits of RfR and note that the Masquerade was invented by the Julii. That means that the Weihann Cynn (probably in a guise with a different name, since that name is Saxon/Old English) either didn't practice it or did so in a very different form.

I've actually found the exposition here on the Masquerade to be very helpful, so thank you both. As an ex-VtM player it's harder to wrap the head around a setting where the point is less "kill those who risk our revelation" and more "fix the problem before it becomes a threat". Still, sloppy neonates would reflect badly on their sires. I think we've effectively staked the idea that the Cynn would be ill-regarded for trucking with outsiders. Except for the Lancea, with whom they might bargain just the same as that Covenant gains ground.

I suppose for Weihann Cynn operation there would be some understanding that Status is linked to the holder's ability to marshal contractual resources. Thus, the Ieldra would be a good example of Covenant Status 5, and capable of moving the entire group to accomplish something. Meanwhile, she rakes in minor boons all the time as the head of a pyramid of obligations, tasks and orders that means she implicitly gains credit when a lower-ranked member takes the time out of other jobs to do something for another. Early on, as well, your sire (who is in the Cynn as well, right?) would serve as a source of hand-off work, to which you would be indebted to him as well.

It's all a lot of back-scratching at work, then, and putting out a kind of shingle for supernatural fixing. I'm getting a kind of organized crime vibe, Godfather-like. It's not, practically speaking, all THAT different from the Invictus, except the Invictus keep things within the vampiric population and run on oaths and clear obligations to manage domains and relationships. The Weihann Cynn would need to keep tabs on ALL the supernaturals and their goings-on, in order to stay relevant.

Sounds exhausting. No wonder they went out of fashion eventually.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Don't know if quite related but, well, this irish dude totally needs some kudos for style.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
              Don't know if quite related but, well, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abhartach"]this irish dude[/URL] totally needs some kudos for style.
              I'm my headcanon history he's a Daeva, and one of the creatures St. Patrick Vampire Hunter took care of whilst "chasing the Snakes out of Ireland."

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post

I'm my headcanon history he's a Daeva, and one of the creatures St. Patrick Vampire Hunter took care of whilst "chasing the Snakes out of Ireland."
                St. Patrick vs crazy Daeva warlord & exterminating an ancient irish branch of the Gorgon bloodline? Seems totes legit to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

St. Patrick vs crazy Daeva warlord & exterminating an ancient irish branch of the Gorgon bloodline? Seems totes legit to me.
                  Correction: exterminating and driving into Scotland the Irish Daeva. Who are, after all, nicknamed "serpents."

And I didn't come up with St. Patrick Vampire Hunter--his own legends around this Abhartach dude cover that. I only extend the Daeva/serpent link.

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post

Correction: exterminating and driving into Scotland the Irish Daeva. Who are, after all, nicknamed "serpents."
                    Damn, I keep forgetting that nickname, my bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X