Let's Read Half Damned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
    I must say that all of that emphasis about fate and vampires reminds me of Kindred of the East's version of dhamps. I'll have to check it.
    Me too. IIRC, the KotE dhampirs are simply really lucky (which manifests in a few different ways) rather than their luck seemingly having a specific vector as it does here.

I like how Destiny is presented- but does it meant to be the purpose behind the dhamp's birth, something assigned to them by some other higher power or something else?
    I got the impression of something assigned by "fate," (in scarequotes, because I also get the impression that it's meant to come with a silent "whatever the hell that means") which might at first coincide with the purpose behind their creation. The fact that you get a new destiny if you somehow fulfill your existing one would seem to rule out it having to be about why they were made.

The interesting part is that it doesn't particularly seem to be tied to vampirism. It's suggested that creating a dhampir defies fate, so fate takes an interest, but that sounds less like an explanation than a way of pretending you don't need one. Back when it was first stated that the clans appeared independently - more like Promethean Lineages than Masquerade clans - I pointed out that the supernature that creates Lineages has an existence than manifests in a bunch of other ways too, and wondered if the same goes for the supernature of vampires. I wonder if dhampir fate-twisting is a case of that.

I do like the Insomnia section, but it feels like they should have mentioned that dhamps suffer from a sleep deprivation Condition constantly.
    Yeah.

I can't tell, but have you got as far as the personality kinks that derive from the clan bane of the vampire parent? I rather like those (in some cases more than the clan bane itself).

Comment

Another issue, Eating flies, says that it will not let you actualy extract vitae from insects, but that it WILL let you gain vitae from every 2 "Size 0 Creatures" you feed on...

what other then a Insect worm or arachnid has Size 0?

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
        Another issue, Eating flies, says that it will not let you actualy extract vitae from insects, but that it WILL let you gain vitae from every 2 "Size 0 Creatures" you feed on...

what other then a Insect worm or arachnid has Size 0?
        Newborns from small rodent species? Even toads are Size 1 according to the animal stat blocks.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

It seems like 1st ed Changing Breeds. An excellent book to use the rules and create your own fluff, because the author was a nostalgic nut-job. At least we don't have bird titties.

Sorry if I seem too straightforward, or if I don't get you. Autism isn't a forgiving condition.

Comment

Originally posted by monteparnas View Post
            It seems like 1st ed Changing Breeds. An excellent book to use the rules and create your own fluff, because the author was a nostalgic nut-job. At least we don't have bird titties.
            Hey! Knock that the fuck off.

Comment

Originally posted by monteparnas View Post
              This is a personal attack against the author.

Originally posted by Rule 1
              Don’t personally attack other users, members of their gaming groups, and so on. Also, don’t attack groups of people. That means avoiding racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic and similar insults. Racial, sexual, and other slurs, as well as misgendering, count as insults. Please also avoid broad declarations that attack a group of people to get around making a “personal” attack. Like all rules, this rule applies equally to people working for Onyx Path, White Wolf, Paradox, and CCP.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
              Read the rules

This is my mod voice.
              This is not my mod voice.

Comment

And the cover art is lame, of course it's lame, I wonder if Onyx Path would listen if I start a petition for changing the art style of future source books

Why can't we have more books with the art direction and quality of New Wave Requiem?

Comment

Originally posted by Shawarbaaz View Post
                  And the cover art is lame, of course it's lame, I wonder if Onyx Path would listen if I start a petition for changing the art style of future source books

Why can't we have more books with the art direction and quality of New Wave Requiem?

"Lame" isn't much of constructive criticism, you know that right? What's wrong with the cover though? I find it pretty appealing and evocative with a aura of symbolism and metaphor.
                  Can't really agree on the NWR though, except for the Cover art, which is awesome. The rest is way to comic-book stylish for my taste, a trend that was in the end of 1st ed requiem when they started with the full colour in the books. Myself is thankful that era has ended. I'm not saying the 2ed art is great all the times, but overall it's way better.

Comment

I like the cover art. I adore the cover art for NWR, but I think the cover art for Half-Damned is decent.

Really not a fan of most of the art in the book, but there are a couple good pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Poseur View Post

"Lame" isn't much of constructive criticism, you know that right? What's wrong with the cover though? I find it pretty appealing and evocative with a aura of symbolism and metaphor.
                      Can't really agree on the NWR though, except for the Cover art, which is awesome. The rest is way to comic-book stylish for my taste, a trend that was in the end of 1st ed requiem when they started with the full colour in the books. Myself is thankful that era has ended. I'm not saying the 2ed art is great all the times, but overall it's way better.
                      Using "lame" to mean stupid is also derogatory in the exact same way that using "gay" or "retarded" as an insult is, society only just starting to realize it now. It is a word worth expunging from your vocabulary.

Above and beyond that, chalk me up as another person who likes the cover art. It's moody and it gets the point across of vampires hovering around in the background of the half-damned's lives, guidinf and controlling them.

CofD booklists:
                      Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

I have the poster for the cover of New Wave Requiem.

But it's a vampiress in skimpy clothes, so it's an easy sell.

Love Sam Araya's art, I wouldn't ever insult it, though I think the cover would be better showing a dhampir, revenant and ghoul. But I've simple tastes when it comes to art.
                        Last edited by nofather; 12-06-2017, 09:03 PM. Reason: Second Chances was right

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

Using "lame" to mean stupid is also derogatory in the exact same way that using "gay" or "retarded" as an insult is, society only just starting to realize it now. It is a word worth expunging from your vocabulary.
                          Fully agree on this one! Didn't want to call it out though as I didn't want it to be interpreted as Hobby-moderating as well as fueling the flame.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                            As a physically-disabled person I'd like to politely disagree: "Gay" and "retarded" are still regularly used to demean the groups of people they refer to, while at this point "lame" tends to only mean "uncool", and I don't think I've ever seen it used to attack people with walking difficulties (i.e. the literal meaning of the word), which at this point is outright archaic. In general, this is a good thing, as it means the word has entirely lost its sting, and bringing up its ableist origins like this may be empowering it to harm again.

I realize this is just one person's view, but as a member of the group in question, I'd really prefer people not try to make "lame" genuinely ableist again, even if the intention is well-meaning (i.e. to get people to stop using it). I'd rather not empower the word to be used as a slur.

Comment

I'd rather not see insults directed at artists and writers on these or any other forum.

Frankly, I'd rather not see insults directed at all. (And yes, I try and often fail to keep my own snark colored within the lines.)

VtR is one product of a busy setting of major splats. We're posting here because vamps and their world interest us, and care about the books that come out for VtR because there are relatively few, precious spots to put Onyx Path-sanctioned material into circulation. We'd like it to be "right", high-quality, and up the game. That puts people on edge. Still, there is no excuse for rudeness.

LostLight I am sorry your thread has been shat upon.

--Khanwulf

Comment

It's ok, Khanwulf- and you are right. We should return to focus around making a review as clean as possible. It is ok to not like some of the material and to criticize it, but let's maintain a polite and respectful discussion.

Anyway-

Dhampir 4- Kewel Powerz!

So cursed children have curse powers. Makes sense.

Well, Twists sound flexible- I wonder if that's truly the case.

Yeah, they are flexible- somewhat more like the variant Blood Sorcery system than Disciplines.

I wonder if Twists could be seen as the dhampir embodying their Destiny into reality, with the dhampirs themselves being the desire of their parent embodied in a child- or perhaps, their parent's Doom. Yeah, that makes sense.

The Daeva's Twist makes sense- the Daeva is used to be at the center of attention, the dhampir force her to care only about him. Sounds like a legit "clan doom".

Desire and Submission are written much better than Attention, IMO

The Gangrel are the perfect predators, their dhampirs are the most malleable prey. Good luck biting something that flows between your teeth.

I have some problem with Twists and Themes as they don't really feel like supernatural powers- but it makes sense, as they are subtle kind of powers.

Ooooooh the Mekhet's Twist is cool! Also, giving a liar's ability to a Clan which works hard to discover the truth under the surface makes great "doom" to them.

The Nosferatu are forced into being ugly, their spawn choose it.

The Ventrue are kings by right and duty, their children steal their crown and throw it to the garbage when they need it no more.

As for the Twists themselves-

1 Dot-
                                Dissent makes sense. Bestial Echo isn't really fate-like, but they are vampire children after all. Karma is fine. Foreboding is awesome.

2 Dots-
                                Fate's Call makes sense. Draught of Power- finally, a reason to actually drink Vitae! Defiance makes sense. I like Sibyl's Curse. Portent sounds fine. Fortuity is standard considering the situation.

3 Dots-
                                Intuition's Call makes sense. Insurgence shouldn't have been a separate power. Oooooh I do like Doubling Down! Heir's Draught- yet another reason to drink Vitae!

Blood Magic for dhamps? Sounds nice.

Wait- THE Blood Magic which eventually evolved to Curac? I've thought that Curac was the outcome of a number of Blood Sorceries being melded together into a mish mash of blood and terror. I assume that it is a reference to Veneficia, but the Gauls had their own Blood Magic at the time which was presented as Curac- so in sort, Curac is both new and ancient. Nothing serious, but it just sting my eye a bit.

Ah- so it is about Malisons, not "Curac for dhamps". Oh well.

Again, the "Beast Embody itself in children" theory sounds more and more reasonable.

Blood Curses- there is nothing uncool in Blood Curses.

So the "Blood" is treated as a real entity? Something to consider.

Wait- "very rarely are there two dhampirs in the same place in the same time"? What about the Boogeymen? You know, that vampire hunter group which is made from those half damned?

For the Malisons themselves-

I like Blood Oath. Haruspicy sounds veeeeeery Veneficia. Katabasis is interesting. Nemesis is great. Pallor of Death is interesting. Wait- so that witch from Game of Thrones is a dhampir with Shadow Play? Because it sounds like it. Anyway- awesome, and I wonder if it could be used against the strix in some way. Wrack and Ruin sounds great. Ooooh Unmasking fucks you so hard that its awesome!

Afflictions- I think they should have appeared earlier in the book, as they are much more basic in nature than Twists and Malisons.

So dhampirs are once again referred as the products of Blood Magic. Is it me, or that it feels like there were two writers for this chapter, and there were some communication problems between them?

Strix have Vices. Humans have Vices. Strix are a type of Beasts. Dhampirs have two Vices. What does it tell you?

Also, was it said before that they get two Vices and I missed/forgot it? If not, that that section really should have been earlier in this sub-chapter.

The Daeva become addicted to their followers, their dhampirs break their connection with their followers. Nice foil.

Gangrel run with the Beast, their children are overtaken by it.

The Mekhet are bound by secrets, their kids are bound to sniff them out.

The Nosferatu are cursed by loneliness, their spawn choose it.

The Ventrue are detached from the folk, their heirs are compelled to actively rule them.

Time for Merits-

Beloved Stranger- because not all dhampirs had such a fucked up life. Blood Dissonance- cool. Hand of Doom- awesome. Mother's Army Recruit makes sense. Night's Child- because you can even a decent child even among the dead. Omen Sensitivity- we really had to have this merit reprinted? Requiem Counterpoint is nice. Thief of Fate- see Omen Sensitivity. Vampire Hunter- because it had to be a thing.

Well, I still have a weekly blog post to finish and things to do, so we'll stop here. Yes, this was a good sub-chapter.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
                                I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                                X