No announcement yet.

Bane Interpretations (Not Initial Clan)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something that exists at an interesting intersection of Holy Day and Invitation and a concept I've always wanted to explore in the context of vampirism and liminality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruv

Comment

Originally posted by Gellydog View Post
      I'm not sure if I like the idea of a hotel room being protected just because people stay there. It may be a "dwelling," but it's also one that's meant for random, ever-changing people to inhabit temporarily. Where do we draw the line? Is a homeless shelter protected? It's a dwelling that accepts different people each night, but not necessarily open to the public the way a hotel atrium is. (you usually don't just walk in and fall down into a bed; there's some vetting/bookkeeping) How about a sheltered, ramshackle structure built from scavenged pieces found under an overpass? It's in a non-private location and hardly secure, but if a single person built it and has been living out of it for years, it might be more of a "home" than the shelter.
      A fairly good guideline I've come across is "Would a regular human have misgivings about going in there without an invitation? If so, it blocks a vampire." That probably means an occupied hotel room would be blocked, but not a lobby or a bar.

There was some discussion on a Dresden Files forum about what kind of buildings would have thresholds that hamper supernatural beings. The metaphysics of the Dresden Files is a bit different - essentially magical stuff works via a collective psychic sense among people that it ought to (not belief that it does, though that helps, but belief that it should) - so the threshold of a home works because there's a general cultural instinct that home should be a safe place (even if you don't really believe it is). So I figured buildings with a similar instinct ought to have them too: if "We'll be safe once we get to the..." makes emotional sense without further clarification, then it has a threshold; so churches and inns do, while garages and taxidermists don't.

How that might work in Requiem is that vampires are rooted in humanity and how much humanity remains is a key measure of a vampire's psyche. While it's not in the game as stands, you could incorporate the notion that human cultural instincts can take on metaphysical force in a vampire's Blood. For one embraced in the West, that might take the form of an aversion to crosses, because "vampires ought to be warded off by crosses" is something you might find even an atheist just assuming (eg why do they work in Buffy?) - or being blocked by thresholds because of the aforementioned "home should be a safe place." (That this happens as they lose Humanity is an irony they can complain about to their unbeating hearts' content ).

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
        A fairly good guideline I've come across is "Would a regular human have misgivings about going in there without an invitation? If so, it blocks a vampire." That probably means an occupied hotel room would be blocked, but not a lobby or a bar.
        Unfortunately that guideline would also include private or semi-private places that aren't dwellings, such as basically all non-public working environments where you're not employed. Hell, even cars could fit under that umbrella. Also closed bedrooms, because even if you're being invited to a home you're generally supposed to keep out of private spaces.

My personal opinion on the matter is that it should be limited to dwellings that someone considers their home (and not just a temporary home). Hotel rooms? Not unless the occupant is permanently residing there. If this is too lenient (or harsh) in play, just adjust the parameters to fit your own game. There's nothing wrong with changing the rules during play as long as everyone agrees that it's better than trying to adhere completely to consistency. I can't even count the number of times things've been changed retroactively in the games I've been a part of.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
        X