Native American Vampires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

Truth be told, i'm lazy like hell in the powers angle - lore and devotions are the way to go for me, with some occassional BP requirement for anything with a bit more overpowered puisance.

Same. I meant Devotions over Disciplines. I feel there is a lot more interest in the result of "2 Clan Disciplines + Clan Weakness + Clan Lore = New Technique" over "here's 5 new tricks for you to learn in order".

Lore is also more interesting, especially if the mechanics support it. A vampire with Majesty and Protean is a bit meh, but a Daeva who developed Protean from living in aquatic areas to become "merfolk/sirens", that developed a need to feed while predominantly submerged, lends to far more interesting story telling when your come from a line of creatures and are representative of a legacy.

IMO, if there were at least a Bloodline for each of the Clan Discipline combos, I'd encourage players to choose their Legacy Bloodline at character creation - but still be given the choice to diverge at BP 3 or whatever. Gives a more solid identify - especially to "who was your sire?"

Support new ideas. If you must criticize, always offer advice to the creator on how they could improve, or even suggest alternative solutions to fix a problem you can see. Dismissive comments should be equally dismissed as attempts to grab attention. Focus only on contributions that help you grow and develop, and ignore jealous efforts to stunt your creative sparks.

Comment

Originally posted by DSPaul View Post
      It just so happens I've been working on something related to this.

Ai Apaec

From the 2nd to 8th centuries CE, the northern coast of Peru was dominated by the civilization now known as the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moche_culture"]Moche.[/URL] Modern archaeologists know the Moche for their elaborate (and often erotic) ceramic art, their sophisticated metalwork… and their practice of human sacrifice. Temple murals depict priests slaughtering bound captives, catching their blood in ceremonial goblets, and offering it to fanged gods. These scenes of sacrifice are often associated with one of the main Moche gods: a fanged, bearded figure known as “the Decapitator” or “Ai Apaec.”

All of the above is openly known to mortal historians. The Kindred of South America, however, know the truth: the Moche were ruled by a line of vampire kings who claimed descent from the god Ai Apaec. That lineage still exists, despite the fall of the Moche civilization and the later Spanish conquest of Peru. In hidden places, the Decapitators still preside over orgiastic rites and feasts of blood.

By the standards of European Kindred, the Ai Apaec are a bloodline of the Daeva clan. Traditionally, however, the Decapitators have considered themselves a breed apart from either the colonial Kindred or the other vampires of the Americas. Most Ai Apaec prefer to embrace mortals of Native American descent, and will never initiate “foreign” Daeva into the bloodline. In ancient times, childer who failed to manifest the bloodline’s unique traits were hunted down and destroyed. In modern nights, these “bastard” childer usually face exile instead.

Ai Apaec have a reputation as arrogant and standoffish. They consider themselves the rightful rulers of Peru’s nights, and only grudgingly tolerate the rule of other clans and bloodlines. Their herds and retainers are traditionally organized into cults, each worshipping their master as a god; as a result, modern Ai Apec find natural allies in the Circle of the Crone, although some Decapitators whose cults are heavily syncretic with Christianity find a place in the Lancea Sanctum.

Nickname: Decapitators

Banes: Ai Apaec suffer from the Daeva clan bane. (Ancient Decapitators often preferred to kill their vessels rather than risk emotional attachment; in modern nights, however, this is often impractical.) In addition, the Ai Apaec have a thirst for blood that outstrips other vampires: their dice pools to resist frenzy from hunger are limited by their Humanity (as the Gangrel clan bane.) This penalty does not apply when resisting frenzy from causes other than hunger, nor when attempting to ride the wave.

Disciplines: Celerity, Majesty, Protean, Vigor

PS: Everything in the first paragraph is absolutely true. Seriously, you can't make this stuff up!
      Thanks, man, for sharing that great material.

I have rarely read a material that gives me so many exciting ideas and narrative hooks, especially regarding bloodlines (IMO, always a troubled theme to hit - in mood, mechanics and relevance).
      I gave a like, but I would give more of them, if I could.
      Just great man!

Comment

Edit: Cleared up things about LostLight about the Lost Clan that was presented at Half Damned's identity. He meant the Ceceya, whom he discusses here.

Well, i guess that leaves any connections between Shadows of Mexico and Wicked Dead's versions of the Cihuateteo up for grabs.

A simple one that has crossed my mind is them as different stages of the same beings: the Wicked Dead Cihuateteo spontaneously rising as full kindred upon death (or ritual sacrifice/suicide). Maybe with broken souls a la Hollow Mekhet, for an indirect telltale of their ties with Tezcatlipoca, Jaguar & Mirror and the world of ephemeral beings. Hmmm, Gangrel & Daeva, the Jaguar & the Whore, soul and reflection taking turns/competing periodically for control of the same corpse. That could be a fun twist of sorts on "vanilla" Hollow.

As an aside, the references to the Jaguar & the Whore, gods of death and transformation, filth and redemption, Tezcatlipoca & Tlazoteotl, makes also me think of Red Jack & Blood Mary - and from there on the Children of Thorns from Danse Macabre, making the witches into a version of them, among other things.
        Last edited by Baaldam; 11-12-2018, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X