[2E] Midnight Sun & Polar Day impact on vampires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Midnight Sun & Polar Day impact on vampires

I run vampires in Werewolf chronicle in Sweden. Recently, I got to the information that in this country is Midnight Sun - i.e. opposition of Polar Night - where sun stays all the time, at least slightly over horizon, so de facto it's day, all the time. Or like in Stockholm, there is no true night in summer - only everlasting twilight, even if sun goes down for 4-5 hours, at around 10 p.m and goes up at 3:30 a.m.

I wonder how those time events works on Kindred? When is sun, then Kindred sleeps, yes? But what about Stockholm twilight in summer. There is still 'bright', like on sunset in rest of the world.

The other end of those phenomena are Polar Nights where Kindred do not go day sleep, at all. There were even good horror movie of something like Revenants plague on town in those Polar Nights...

LGBT+ in CoD games
    Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
    Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
    Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
    My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Good article on the different types of twilight phenomena you can have in the sky at night. Probably for vampires the Civil Twilight state is problematic...

LGBT+ in CoD games
    Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
    Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
    Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
    My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

On a Vampire chronicle I would recommend to play those Twilight states as night with some few penalties for the vampires. Maybe they take damage at a fourth of the normal pace without enough protection. That would make the setting playable for vamps.

Sorry if I seem too straightforward, or if I don't get you. Autism isn't a forgiving condition.

Comment

Well, I think a lot of it depends on what you want to do with it. The vampires' weakness to sunlight and daytime is symbolic and magical, not a physical thing, so it can easily be "stretched" to fit the needs of your game.

One way to do it is that during the months of Midnight Sun, vampires get a reduced urge for daysleep while still suffering the bane to direct sunlight. So, basically, you get to be active 100% of the time ... but you can't go outside, ever. It's a trade-off. So for part of the year the entire Kindred population essentially goes "underground," withdrawing from surface life entirely. And then during times of twilight, when the sun is below the horizon but it's still light out, perhaps Kindred can go outside and still take sunlight damage, but it's reduced. As if they were a lower Blood Potency or higher Humanity. (or both)

Comment

Althought for Classic World of Darkness, the Dark Age supplement Wolves of the Sea, might be of help as it covers Viking (and Vampires) culture during the Dark Ages.

it can be found for a fair price on DriveThruRPG.

edit: page 50 and pages 80 to 82 has what you are looking for.
          Last edited by Boneguard; 01-07-2018, 09:09 PM.

Comment

You could say that vampires don't have a noticeable population in those areas because their ability to manipulate others is severly hampered by the fact that are in a mystically induced daysleep 70% of the time and can't put their abilities to use as intended.

Comment

I would actually rule that vampires simply don't rise and the whole midnight sun episode is essentially a single long day for them while they don't need to sleep at all when the sun is constantly down. Will this hamper Kindred activity? Yes, and its entirely possible that the Kindred who do make their place there simply have to retreat further south when the sun is up 24/7 or close enough to that. Only to return as the nights grow longer again.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurkhal View Post
                I would actually rule that vampires simply don't rise and the whole midnight sun episode is essentially a single long day for them while they don't need to sleep at all when the sun is constantly down. Will this hamper Kindred activity? Yes, and its entirely possible that the Kindred who do make their place there simply have to retreat further south when the sun is up 24/7 or close enough to that. Only to return as the nights grow longer again.
                You could also explore interesting arrangements with Ghouls in the Domain. They could be entrusted with a greater deal of autonomy and status, since their Regnants are slumbering most of the time.

Heck, Ghouls might even run the show, with Kindred treated as indulged nobles/celebrities when they happen to be awake.

EDIT: I'm also getting the idea for some Bloodline (probably with Auspex for synergy with Twilight Projection) that actually takes advantage of the extended sleep to do some out-of-body traveling...
                Last edited by Vent0; 01-09-2018, 11:08 AM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

How are the ghouls keeping up with their Vitae Addiction while all the Kindred are in extended Daysleep though?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

The urge to fall into Daysleep is resisted with a successful Resolve + Composure roll for a regular vampire, and one can likely get other ways around it through assorted vampiric powers. If you count an extended period of sunlight as one 'day' (which the book seems to do, as Daysleep happens when the sun rises, and ends when the sun sets) then you only have to do it once, providing you dodge the Lethargic Condition.

The Lethargic Condition gives you an increasing penalty to activities and re-checks you for Daysleep every six hours, but is avoided with an Exceptional Success.

Various vampires have ways to wake vampires while sleeping, too.
                    Last edited by nofather; 01-09-2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                      How are the ghouls keeping up with their Vitae Addiction while all the Kindred are in extended Daysleep though?
                      Keep topped up? Vitae reservoirs? Devotions that let Ghouls get their fix while the Kindred sleeps (like that one Invictus Oath that transfers Vitae)?

Each Covenant probably has their own methods that they use as leverage or a commodity.

Comment

Revanents with the twilight walker merit I feel may dominate this area with that solar cycle depending on how the ST determines it to interact. Ontop of the twilight walker merit half damned introduces the ability for a revanent to embrace another as a revenant (but still being incapable of ghouling). So their presence alone could be explained

I know that way of the acendant with ordo Dracul may allow you to be better able to operate in just being awake but these kindred would still suffer the bane of sunlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                          Revanents with the twilight walker merit I feel may dominate this area with that solar cycle depending on how the ST determines it to interact. Ontop of the twilight walker merit half damned introduces the ability for a revanent to embrace another as a revenant (but still being incapable of ghouling). So their presence alone could be explained
                          Revenants are another good option for making the area distinct.

I know that way of the acendant with ordo Dracul may allow you to be better able to operate in just being awake but these kindred would still suffer the bane of sunlight.
                          So, underground tunnels/labyrinths/warrens housing Ordo research labs and archives? With hidden passageways leading to all the major spots of interest in the city?

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Revenants are another good option for making the area distinct.

So, underground tunnels/labyrinths/warrens housing Ordo research labs and archives? With hidden passageways leading to all the major spots of interest in the city?
                            That is what I thought too, it'd be distinct if revenants were the dominant force in an area. Maybe they went there on purpose to be so.

Oh ya, underground tunnels would be the wise solution to the issue of sunight exposure.

Comment

That is what I thought too, it'd be distinct if revenants were the dominant force in an area. Maybe they went there on purpose to be so.
                              Right. Or even as a rival group. Revenants vs Ghouls+Vampires. Power-wise, it would likely be cyclical, with Revenants slowly gaining power during the long Twilight, only to get smacked down once the Kindred wake up. Even as some of them might seek to "join" the Full-Vampire ranks. Of course, sometimes trusted Ghouls fall and rise again as Revenants, so the exchange works both ways, to a degree.

Oh ya, underground tunnels would be the wise solution to the issue of sunight exposure.
                              Are there any cities with large subway systems in the region?

Comment

Working...
                              X