Kindred Senses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kindred Senses

Searched the forum to see if this was ever clarified and couldn't find anything. The write up in kindred Senses explains that kindred can smell the presence of blood at 10 meters per dot of blood potency without rolling. Does this mean they can smell a potential source of blood, such as a person hiding in the next room? Or would said person need to be bleeding in order for them to pick up the scent of their blood?

I suggest that the blood needs to be out in the air. For example, sharks come to the scent of chum, bloody chopped up fish, not necessarily every thing in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Vitalis View Post
      I suggest that the blood needs to be out in the air. For example, sharks come to the scent of chum, bloody chopped up fish, not necessarily every thing in the water.
      That seems logical to me. That said, the very next sentence states that vampires can track a person by scent if they have tasted that person's blood at some point. The way that is worded leads me to believe that they can track that person regardless of whether or not he or she is bleeding. So it makes me wonder if the general ability to smell blood applies to a non-bleeding person as well.

Comment

If the blood is on the floor or there's an uncovered but clotted wound, I consider them to be automatically detected if they are in range. I also allow those with Kindred Senses to add their blood potency to perception checks to detect potential ambush/sneaking away by entities possessing blood if they are in the modified detection range

Comment

Even if they can't smell, they can also hear heartbeats at 3 yrd per BP.

Comment

Originally posted by Matty1Love View Post
            That seems logical to me. That said, the very next sentence states that vampires can track a person by scent if they have tasted that person's blood at some point.
            I think the idea is supposed to be that the vampire is tracking the scent of the person, not of their blood. Tasting the Blood is jusr the way the vampire acquires the person’s scent, Like a bloodhound smelling a doll to get the scent of the person who owned it. The dog is tracking a single sensory detail picked out from the significantly more complex melange of sensory details the doll gives off. Likewise, the taste of blood gives vampires a lot of sensory detail about the person it belongs to, including a scent by which the vampire can track the human.

Originally posted by Matty1Love View Post
            The way that is worded leads me to believe that they can track that person regardless of whether or not he or she is bleeding. So it makes me wonder if the general ability to smell blood applies to a non-bleeding person as well.
            A vampire can track a person regardless of whether or not they are bleeding, but only if the vampire has tasted their blood. That suggests to me the scent by which the vampire can track them is not the scent of their blood itself, but is merely conveyed to the vampire by tasting their blood. Again, much like the scent by which a bloodhound tracks a doll’s owner is not the scent of the doll itself, but is merely conveyed to the bloodhound by smelling the doll.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Working...
            X