"Powerful" mortals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Powerful" mortals

How could I give some powers to mortals? I'm thinking to a "The Hunters Hunted"-ish approach, in which the characters are completely mortals, but have some limited supernatural powers, like hedge magic

My English sucks. Sorry.

Short answer:
    First edition: World of Darkness: Second Sight or Hunter: the Vigil.
    Second edition: Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook or The God-Machine Rules Update's Supernatural Merits.

Comment

Or Hunter, some Conspiracies have supernatural powers.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Gutter magic in hunter

Ghouls are still mortals and need to feed their addiction

wolf-blooded could be a good choice

Lucifuge with the hellfire castigation can scare vampires

Comment

Mechanically you could just give them Dread Powers representing whatever supernatural ability you want them to have.

Give an NPC Prodigious Leap, Snare, and Wall Climb and you have Spider-man.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
            Gutter magic in hunter

Ghouls are still mortals and need to feed their addiction

wolf-blooded could be a good choice

Lucifuge with the hellfire castigation can scare vampires
            I know Cruac requires Vitae, but is there any reason a mortal can't use Theban Sorcery (other than that it is categorized as a Discipline)? Or something similar, mechanically (so as to prevent drawing from non-Vampire books, since this is in the Vampire sub-forum)?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

I know Cruac requires Vitae, but is there any reason a mortal can't use Theban Sorcery (other than that it is categorized as a Discipline)? Or something similar, mechanically (so as to prevent drawing from non-Vampire books, since this is in the Vampire sub-forum)?
              Generally, Theban Sorcery is pretty much in the hands of the Lancea et Sanctum, so that's one reason. Otherwise, it is a discipline, so only vampire related beings can use it.

However, at least in 2e, it does mention that Theban Sorcery might have been a mortal sorcery that the Kindred adapted to themselves. So a group of mortals that use said precursor sorcery isn't out of the question. I would just have it tied behind some sort of mystery cult for added depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ever Professional View Post
                Generally, Theban Sorcery is pretty much in the hands of the Lancea et Sanctum, so that's one reason. Otherwise, it is a discipline, so only vampire related beings can use it.
                Yeah, that's why I covered that. It is represented as a Discipline, but it doesn't really seem to fit what Disciplines are, and most Miracles don't require anything a mortal couldn't provide.

Originally posted by Ever Professional View Post
                However, at least in 2e, it does mention that Theban Sorcery might have been a mortal sorcery that the Kindred adapted to themselves. So a group of mortals that use said precursor sorcery isn't out of the question. I would just have it tied behind some sort of mystery cult for added depth.
                Right. I was mostly saying "use Theban as a mechanical example" so the OP wouldn't have to reference non-Vampire books. Mortals could use their I-can't-believe-it's-not-Theban magic that just happens to also use extended rolls, sacrifices, and Willpower to achieve supernatural effects.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                  Mechanically you could just give them Dread Powers representing whatever supernatural ability you want them to have.

Give an NPC Prodigious Leap, Snare, and Wall Climb and you have Spider-man.
                  Needs increased strength and stamina; not sure if Spider-man was within the five dot max, or not, but he was certainly strong and tough. Also, something to sense danger.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabanese View Post

Needs increased strength and stamina; not sure if Spider-man was within the five dot max, or not, but he was certainly strong and tough. Also, something to sense danger.
                    While his strength and stamina aren't particularly notable compared to Marvel's true heavy hitters like Thor, Hulk, Sentry etc., he's still way above the fifth dot in either Attribute.

Comment

Absolutely but that's easy to factor in (and Horrors aren't limited to the 1-5 spread normal humans are). Powerful mortals are all over in Chronicles of Darkness and they're easy to represent without needing to delve into other gamelines, though you can do that as well.

The Chronicles of Darkness book has rules for making 'standard' antagonists, ephemerals, and horrors (like Spider-man would be, in the Chronicles of Darkness, if designed as an antagonist).

Otherwise, if you do have access to a wide variety of books a number have been mentioned above you can source for powers, abilities and oddities.
                      Last edited by nofather; 01-26-2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Well... spiderman is able to lift 10 tons so that is the equivalent of a strength 29 being according to the WoD strenght table XD. (Well lets say a little less than 29 since there is a roll to do to increase the feats of strength achivable, but still we are far more above the maximum reacheable by a bp 5 Vampire with vigor and Strength at max (without considering frenzy and vitae spent to increase attributes).

Comment

There are some antagonists in thousand years of night that count as powerful mortals as well. There was that Deborah, who was a mostly mortal person with some biblical magic at her command. Then there were also the Sons of Phobos, blood sorcerers that have a penchant for devouring hearts for power, with ghoul and kindred hearts being really potent.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
                            Well... spiderman is able to lift 10 tons so that is the equivalent of a strength 29 being according to the WoD strenght table XD. (Well lets say a little less than 29 since there is a roll to do to increase the feats of strength achivable, but still we are far more above the maximum reacheable by a bp 5 Vampire with vigor and Strength at max (without considering frenzy and vitae spent to increase attributes).
                            10 tons? Why? How does he not maim criminals by accident?

Does every superhero have a 'cardboard world' speech ready to go?

Comment

Originally posted by Tabanese View Post
                              10 tons? Why?
                              Proportional strength of a spider, of course. Nature's second strongest arachnid.

How does he not maim criminals by accident?
                              I think he has to really push for that, but he's usually called out as one of the potentially greatest of superheroes in Marvel, across all stats, he just doesn't get to that point because he's supposed to be eternally stuck in not-quite-being-an-adult, psychologically.

But really I was just trying to show how you could use Dread Powers to imitate things 'powerful' mortals might have, and in depth discussions about Spider-man have probably been tackled better elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X