"Powerful" mortals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tabanese View Post

10 tons? Why? How does he not maim criminals by accident?

Does every superhero have a 'cardboard world' speech ready to go?
    A combination of things really. One, most of the villains he fights have equipment and/or powers to compensate for his strength or cancel or weaken his powers. (Sandman, Venom, Jackal, Rhino, Dr. Octopus) Two, as nofather mentioned, he consciously pulls his punches most of the time especially if he 'knows' he's dealing with a normal person. Three, he usually makes a point of trying to avoid direct physical contact, often using his uncanny agility to avoid getting hit to wear down his opponents and equipment to slow down or stop criminals.
    Last edited by tsusasi; 01-29-2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Oh, another thing you might be able to do is use the mechanics of some of the Disciplines (probably the physical ones, mostly) as "cybernetic augmentation". Vigor seems like it can model mechanical limb super strength just as easily as magical undead super strength. Similar for Celerity and Resilience. The more "mystic" Disciplines are harder to justify, but might be possible via either pseudo-science or psychic powers.

It does depend on how you want to take the Chronicle's themes and mood, though.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

Proportional strength of a spider, of course. Nature's second strongest arachnid.
        1.) I wasn't really looking for an answer. That was more exasperation than actual questioning. I seem to have an innate dislike of the ... word... eh... mythic? I like when characters have an advantage or two they use well, instead of being unrivaled. As my conception of Spiderman was 'stronger than he looks' and then Marcus goes and informs me that he can lift cars... It just annoyed me somehow.

2.) Second strongest? What's the strongest? (actual questions this time. :P )

in depth discussions about Spider-man have probably been tackled better elsewhere.
        Agreed. Cheers for weighting in regardless; don't take the above as me giving out TO YOU. I'm just giving out in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabanese View Post
          1.) I wasn't really looking for an answer. That was more exasperation than actual questioning. I seem to have an innate dislike of the ... word... eh... mythic? I like when characters have an advantage or two they use well, instead of being unrivaled. As my conception of Spiderman was 'stronger than he looks' and then Marcus goes and informs me that he can lift cars... It just annoyed me somehow.

2.) Second strongest? What's the strongest? (actual questions this time. :P )
          It was an attempt at a joke. The in-world reason for his power is him getting the proportionate strength of a spider, but as far as I know spiders aren't exactly known for being strong, so I don't get it myself, though I know of it. And I admit this is just guesswork, but I figure a scorpion would be physically stronger, if only because they're more made for grabbing things.

Comment

It was an attempt at a joke. The in-world reason for his power is him getting the proportionate strength of a spider, but as far as I know spiders aren't exactly known for being strong, so I don't get it myself, though I know of it. And I admit this is just guesswork, but I figure a scorpion would be physically stronger, if only because they're more made for grabbing things.
            And scorpions are arachnids? Huh, TIL.

Comment

Spiders, like most arthropods, can lift objects weighing several times their own body mass. This has little to do with them being particularly strong and everything to do with the square-cube law and how it interacts with living beings - simply put, the smaller the creature, the smaller percentage of its muscle power is used to lift the weight of the body, leaving more "excess strength" to be applied externally.

Now, if you forget the laws of the universe that make this possible, if a human-sized being could lift as much in relation to their body mass as a spider could, this would be a pretty impressive (and clearly superhuman) show of strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Morangias View Post
                The smaller the creature, the smaller percentage of its muscle power is used to lift the weight of the body, leaving more "excess strength" to be applied externally.
                Hence why I am such a great lover. #powerfulmortal #stillontopic :P

Comment

Hurt Locker has a bunch of minor templates, some of which can get strong enough to pose a threat to vampires

And of course anybody with the psychokinesis (specifically pyro variant) merit can do a lot of damage very quickly.

Comment

Best answer is probably going to remain:
                    1. If mortals are PCs, use supernatural merits and McGuffin a way to acquire more during play.
                    2. If mortals are NPCs, use horrors rules to build them, throw in supernatural merits if you want, and go to town.

You could combine these, and let PCs use horror rules to build characters, but it seems like a lot of work for something you could just as easily handwave into "new" supernatural merits if you want.

The main CofD forum page here has some additional ideas scattered through it for homebrew supernatural merits that are not splat-related.

You can also stack minor splats to gain an approximation of the desired effect, if the characters are intended to be mixed up with specific supernatural types.

--Khanwulf

PS. Full disclosure: my preferred play is "powerful mortal" range for my own PCs, regardless of splat chosen and group makeup. Someone has to be justifiably paranoid!

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Yeah, that's why I covered that. It is represented as a Discipline, but it doesn't really seem to fit what Disciplines are, and most Miracles don't require anything a mortal couldn't provide.

Right. I was mostly saying "use Theban as a mechanical example" so the OP wouldn't have to reference non-Vampire books. Mortals could use their I-can't-believe-it's-not-Theban magic that just happens to also use extended rolls, sacrifices, and Willpower to achieve supernatural effects.
                      Did that for years without ever giving a damn. Hell, my "lycanthropes" were just rogue ghoul families with Protean in their package.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

Did that for years without ever giving a damn. Hell, my "lycanthropes" were just rogue ghoul families with Protean in their package.
                        Got their Vitae via a lot of "red meat", eh?

It isn't a bad way to run things, if you want the themes/flavor of other Splats/monsters without having to rifle through a bunch of books.

Mages: various "mental" Disciplines and some !Blood Magic?
                        How about other monsters?

Comment

Got their Vitae via a lot of "red meat", eh?
                          Actually from hunting kindred, sometimes capturing neonates, chaining them to cellars where they were periodically thrown "live food" and then ritually exsanguinated them, among other stuff. The fact the various "weres" while still mostly divided by family/animal would have not much qualms about making occassional deals or mixing up added even more confusion to my players, who were used to Werewolf and had no idea from what context i was working from (some native american folklore from Brazil mixed in with obscure regional traditions). Horrid fun times.

It isn't a bad way to run things, if you want the themes/flavor of other Splats/monsters without having to rifle through a bunch of books.

Mages: various "mental" Disciplines and some !Blood Magic?
                          How about other monsters?
                          Truth be told, i wasn't even caring for the themes/flavor of other splats. Keeping things to Requiem made quite clear to everybody they should not take anything from the books for granted as canon.

Comment

Actually from hunting kindred, sometimes capturing neonates, chaining them to cellars where they were periodically thrown "live food" and then ritually exsanguinated them, among other stuff. The fact the various "weres" while still mostly divided by family/animal would have not much qualms about making occassional deals or mixing up added even more confusion to my players, who were used to Werewolf and had no idea from what context i was working from (some native american folklore from Brazil mixed in with obscure regional traditions). Horrid fun times.
                            So pure Ghoul, then? Not werewolf-modelled-as-a-Ghoul-Family?

Truth be told, i wasn't even caring for the themes/flavor of other splats. Keeping things to Requiem made quite clear to everybody they should not take anything from the books for granted as canon.
                            I meant more the general themes of the archetypes - witch, fae creature, reanimated person, etc.

Comment

So pure Ghoul, then? Not werewolf-modelled-as-a-Ghoul-Family?
                              A very successful branch of "masterless" Ghoul families with a peculiar mythology mixed in that justified their kindred-hunting in more ways than one.

I meant more the general themes of the archetypes - witch, fae creature, reanimated person, etc.
                              Yes, yes, more of that indeed, with some funky brewing along the way, like mages & witches as separate "lesser templates", mummies (far from canon back then), ghost-blooded (ghost-dhampirs so to speak), sirens and other interesting beings.

Comment

In my opinion any Hunter game is always about a group of people coming from all fringes of society to fight monsters they know so little of, normal people, with unique (non-supernatural) abilities and limited resources.

They know their weaknesses and know that a direct confrontation will most likely end in their certain death, so they learned to use other assets to strike at the supernatural influences. Cunning ways and group formation is key.

But if you insist, there's a number of Supernatural merits in Chronicles of Darkness Corebook to give your Hunter an edge, I also think Hunter: The Vigil offer Hunters some supernatural advantages (though I never used Hunter: The Vigil to run Hunter games myself)

Comment

Working...
                                X