• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Corrigan
    • Feb 2014

Bound to a concept

Hello, all,
    So, I have a covenant/order (“Order of the Knights Warder of the Tome Enshrined”) whose purpose is to preserve the knowledge and art of humanity. You find them secretly overseeing security at museums and libraries, working as book and art conservators, and liberating unique works from unstable countries.
    Being vampires, it might be difficult to find many recruits dedicated enough to this cause to sacrifice their fortunes and comfort (to say nothing of risking their safety) for a statue that someone would pay a king’s ransom for. Plus, the web of bonds (blood and otherwise) might bring about conflicts of interest beyond the simply financial.
    On this morning’s drive, I had the idea about a relic or a ritual that creates either a vinculum or an obsession for the organization – or perhaps for the ideal itself. Vinculum to the Order might translate to ensuring obedience to superiors and performing heroic acts of art preservation on their own initiative on the grounds that “I’m a Knight Warder, and that’s what we do.” Perhaps that also means that the Order is watchful that Humanity doesn’t slip and loose that particular bond.

The Obsession Condition would play out a little differently, and I feel like it would be counterproductive. But this only came to mind an hour ago, so I haven’t worked out the ramifications.

So, my questions:
    1. Is there a precedent for a bond like this to an organization or an ideal rather than an individual?
    2. Is there a precedent of magic for such as spell or relic (not a critical thing; I can handwave that easily enough).
    3. Does it sound like an interesting idea? (thus far, player characters have interacted with them but I’m not letting folks join up).

• Malus
    • Jul 2016

1. No, if someone binds you with their blood, you'd generally become their lackey. If that entails going to Iraq to defend millennia old relics from caliphate extremists, so be it.

2. The Profane Urim; it turned people into the puppets of it's wielder, mage the awakening artifact.

3. Doing someone or something else's bidding with no clear payday save cultural charity strikes me as an odd pursuit to which members would be willing to enslave the will of others. Don't strip your players agency in such a manner without their express consent.

Comment

• Corrigan
      • Feb 2014

Or, duh, I could come up with an Oath. I don't have Invictus players right now so I didn't think of that. I'll look into those and find something that is good for the cause and imparts a benefit to the members.
      3.-- Malus: You're right, but I'm not letting players join the Warders unless the game is all Warders. They are currently just NPCs that are useful and fascinating to the players.

Comment

• Howalt
        • Jan 2014

I think you are looking for the Tasked condition. It gives you 8-again on rolls relating to the task, and rolls that do not pertain to the task loose 10-again. In Blood and Smoke the Dynasty Membership merit may cause the Tasked condition. I don't think it should be hard to incorporate this into the procedures and mechanics of your Covenant.

Comment

• Corrigan
          • Feb 2014

Thanks, I'll look at that.

Comment

Working...