Belial's Brood in 2nd Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belial's Brood in 2nd Edition

I'm currently running my first ever Vampire; The Requiem 2e campaign. I'm new to 2e but I have plenty of 1e experience as a player. I currently only own the Chronicles of Darkness core book, the Vampire; The Requiem 2e core book and the Half-Damned book. So far it seems they got completely rid of Belial's Brood. At least I can't find anything about them.

Does Belial's Brood still exist in VTR 2e and if yes, where can I find more information on what they're like in 2e?

Second and most important question:

I had a crazy idea. I wanted to introduce Belial's Brood to my VTR 2e campaign, but not as Satanists, but a Strix worshippers. Would that work and does that make sense? How would I go about introducing a Strix-worshipping Belial's Brood in my campaign, an already ongoing campaign?

To clarify: The campaign starts in 1888 London in which I used Jack the Ripper as the hook for the campaign (the Ripper in our campaign turned out to be the Strix named Anna Red). The players started as mortal humans investigating the Ripper case. They got in contact with the Kindred as well as the Malleus Maleficarum. The party of humans (some of them ghouls) proved themselves useful to the Kindred so the Kindred embraced them. That's where we currently are in the campaign.
    Last edited by Ventrue Life; 03-23-2018, 12:38 PM. Reason: Added a bit of extra info.

While they were not mentioned yet in 2e, it was confirmed by the previous developer that they are still around (even though that with the change of developers, nothing is certain). It doesn't yet change the fact that, as I said at the beginning, there is no official information about the Brood, so you could play them in any way you want (infernalists, strix worshipers, VII or whatever else you have in mind).

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

I've been reading through the 1e brood book with the intent of making them as a mystery cult (or six) and being Strix worshipers makes a lot of sense given how many Strix want similar things from kindred as the brood do.

Comment

I think this makes perfect sense. As far as I understand their incomprehensible motivations, the Strux are generally pissed off with kindred for failing to appreciate the gifts of the Beast. They cling to their Humanity. Pathetic. And, in essence, that’s the same basic fault the 1e Brood found in the All Night Society.

I will steal your idea for future reference, good sir. Cheers.

Edit: might as well start spit balling

Cult initiation - the Brood
        1 gain the Occult (Stryx) specialty
        2 gain Atrocious 1 merit
        3 gain Indomitable 2 merit
        4 gain Riding the Wave 3
        5 by spendimg 3 vitae you may regain 1 willpower
        Last edited by Howalt; 03-23-2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

So far all we got was the Pledge to the Worthless One in Secrets of the Covenants. It was publicly made available here during the open development sequence. We've been told they still exist, and it stands to reason (it looks like there's a lot more covenants than in 1e, or even than the 2e books make out), we just haven't seen them.

Pledge to the Worthless One (•••)
          Target number of successes: 8
          Sacrament: A person content with his life
          This ritual is considered heretical to all mainstream Lancea et Sanctum creeds. It calls on the force of the devil Belial – the Worthless one – to gift upon a vampire his dark blessings. The subject of this ritual swears herself to Belial, and slays the sacramental mortal. She must consent to its effects for the ritual to take effect, but once it’s taken effect, it cannot be ended by any known practice. Part of the oath requires the vampire pledge her immortal soul after her Final Death. This is largely academic, as no vampire knows what happens to a vampire after the Requiem’s end. The pledge affords a number of effects:
          • The subject chooses one of the seven deadly sins with which to ally; greed, pride, wrath, sloth, gluttony, envy, or lust. From that point forward, every Vitae she draws from a mortal in the throes of that sin is doubled. Characters not exhibiting those sins provide her half the nourishment; she takes only one from each two Vitae drawn.
          • She gains the advantages of frenzy at all times, even while completely lucid.
          • She cannot maintain a Touchstone.
          • She exhibits one physical sign of damnation. This may manifest as cloven hooves, a third nipple, or any other classic sign of diabolism.
          • She gains a familiar. This is a demon in an animal’s flesh. It counts as a five dot Retainer, with three dots of Disciplines. She can see through its eyes, and speak through its mouth.
          • Any member of the Lancea et Sanctum is honor-bound to destroy her if her pledge is uncovered.

Comment

I think Rose Bailey confirmed that the Brood still exist in Vampire The Requiem (along with everything in 1e that didn't get officially converted) though I understand why they shied away from introducing them in 2e, they were basically a method of including Sabbat-esque antagonists to VTR to be familiar with players coming from VTM, and since 2e tried to distance itself from VTM as much as possible the change is not surprising.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm convinced now. I'm going to use Belial's Brood as a covenant of Strix worshippers. They are going to be the new kids on the block in my campaign. I even wrote a little splat text for them:

Most Kindred don't pay attention to the bottom of the barrel, those who are unaligned in the All Night Society. Most ancilla think they are little more than a nuisance, rebel scum unable or unwilling to join a covenant, weak, pathetic. Most elders forgot they even exist. But many neonates who don't have the luxury of a well-kept herd or a fertile feeding ground will often come in contact with the unaligned during their hunt for blood. These Neonates know that something sinister is brewing among the unaligned.

"What is humanity? Most sires will tell their childer that humanity is all that stands between their sanity and the Beast. It is the one thing that keeps the beast at bay. But why would you want to keep the beast at bay? After all, your beast has so much more to offer than your humanity. By clinging to your humanity and denying your beast, you are denying your true potential, and for what? So you can keep your human morals? Your human emotions? Your human soul? Why would you want to do that? Do these traits make you a better hunter? Get it through your thick skull neonate, you aren't human anymore. You are a predator now, and predators shouldn't act like their prey."

This is what the Birds of Dis tried to teach the Kindred. Most Kindred didn't listen, they instead try to live among their prey by pretending to be like them, much to the disgust of the Strix. Most Striges have given up on the Kindred and regard them as little more than prey. But one Strix decided to give the Kindred another chance. He decided to reach out to the Kindred, but he only made his presence known to those who felt alienated by the All Night Society. He approached the weak and beaten down, he approached the isolated Kindred hungering for power and revenge. He approached the Kindred who felt alienated by their human cousins. He approached the outcasts, the filth, the undesirables, the freaks, the forgotten. These Kindred formed the heart and core of a new covenant, a covenant under the leadership of the Strix. They called themselves Belial's Brood, the Worthless Ones. It was a fitting name. It pleased the Strix.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                • She cannot maintain a Touchstone.
                Wait, can't believe I didn't notice this before -- wouldn't they just all fall asleep in a few weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by Deinos View Post

Wait, can't believe I didn't notice this before -- wouldn't they just all fall asleep in a few weeks?
                  As I recently learned there’s a difference between a lost/dead Touchstone and a detached one. Presumably this bit refers to a vampire not being able to keep an attachment to their Touchstones, which still is different from losing them. S/he has them, the merit, but simply doesn’t or is unable to interact with them in a meaningful way, i.e. Languid need not apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Deinos View Post
                    The first time, sure. After that, the consequences of making every detachment roll with a -2 penalty, being short one possible Anchor, and not having a way to clear the Tainted Condition or get talked down from frenzy serve as fairly ample consequences for walking around without a Touchstone.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                      The first time, sure. After that, the consequences of making every detachment roll with a -2 penalty, being short one possible Anchor, and not having a way to clear the Tainted Condition or get talked down from frenzy serve as fairly ample consequences for walking around without a Touchstone.
                      The Tainted Condition has nothing to do with Touchstones. It fades through time and/or taking aggravated damage.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                        The Tainted Condition has nothing to do with Touchstones. It fades through time and/or taking aggravated damage.
                        …I meant the Tempted Condition, which is two items down from Tainted in the Condition listing, shares four of seven letters with its name, and has three Resolution criteria, of which "Have a meaningful connection with a Touchstone" is the only one that does not have potentially or not-even-potentially murderous implications. Typos happen.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

I'm sorry if I came off condescending. I just tried to correct a mistake I saw to save people some confusion.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

I remember someone back in the day running the Brood as the demon Belial's pet project on earth. That's an angle I kind of liked and would probably try to run with if I would run Requiem in the future.

Comment

I don't think i'm doing Belial's Brood very differently from the books or most people, but i have the Brood be functionnaly 2 groups.
                              The first is what i call the teenagers (no relation to the actual age of the vampire). They are what most people picture. Basically evil for evil sakes (or rather monstrous for the sake of being a monster). They dont last long (typically).
                              There is another group tho. They are subtly embedded within all of the covenants. They take many forms, but they all have the same end goal. They want to remove humanity as a consideration but without becoming mindless. Essentially they want to be at humanity 0 but not become a draugr of have any of the other problems associated with a low humanity.

Striges (is that the plural?) love either group depending on the individual and they often form types of partnerships.

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
                              Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.
                              Currently planning: Scion 2nd edition

Comment

Working...
                              X