No announcement yet.

Demons of the Wind [Edimmu Variant/Update, Lesser Template and Merges Sorcery]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demons of the Wind [Edimmu Variant/Update, Lesser Template and Merges Sorcery]

Demons are terrifying.

The ancient people of Mesopotamia knew it. The fear from demons was a major aspect of their mystical traditions, creating all kinds of incantations, spells and rituals meant to ward, exorcist or otherwise protect against demons. Demons were seen as the manifestation of all that is evil upon the world- plagues, misfortune, nightmares, death. Demons constantly haunt the living, threatening to destroy their life. They are the agents of the gods. They are the spawn of monsters. They are the souls of the dead. They are everything which is foul and tainted under the sun, and which seeks to destroy you. The unquiet dead, especially, were a terrible form of demons- ones which fed upon the living and brought only misery to wherever they walked. The shadows of the night were other breed of demons, most often associated with the silent wings of dark birds. The mother of monsters was a cannibal divinity, which all knew to fear and respect. Against such mighty evils, however, no more incantation or spell whispered by mortal lips and powered by a mortal will could ever ward against. Those dreaded entities were simply too powerful, too dreadful to be able to stand against, and there is no way they would be scared from a simple human.

Demons, however, are terrifying.

Pazuzu, for example- a demon which fights other demons. His name was invoked in order to ward against Lamashtu and her spawn. The principle of using one demon against the other is only natural, after all- serve the scariest demon, and they'll protect you from the lesser ones- and Pazuzu, the king of wind, drought and plague is, with no doubt, one of the scariest of them all. His idols warded against the creatures of the night in the ancient days, and his name was called again and again to protect newborn babies from harm. Pazuzu was still feared, of course, for he was a demon- but at least, he could have been trusted to fight against the other enemies of mankind.

Things, however, have changed through the years- religions came and went, and traditions fell from grace. Gods who were far scarier the demons has ascended, and their followers were even more terrifying. An almighty divinity claimed ownership over both good and evil, and had the power to banish demons and protect the righteous with nothing but a word. Then, came science and reason, and it was discovered that many of those demons people feared so much were nothing more than just that- fears. Bacteria came to explain plague, causality explained misfortune, and with all the dread weapons that humanity has invented using science, death by other people became a much more rational thing to fear from than some invisible entity. Pazuzu, as terrible as it may be, could not have competed against those new and formidable powers, and was forgotten from heart.

But the demons are still around.

They drink the blood of the innocents. They steal the breath of babies. They move among men and hide beneath the shadows. Lamashtu never went anywhere, and her children are hungry. Blood and smoke and shadows all blur together drowning the screams of those who are devoured by demons they believed were banished by the light of reason. There is no place to hide them, no way to fight them- for those demons are terrifying, and men can't handle such terrible monster.

Thankfully, the demons are still around.

They come with the wind of the night. They shine between the stars. They come for those who chant their name, as silent as the air. Pazuzu may have been forgotten, but his children never went away- his winds possess the dead, seed mortals and even teach forbidden magics to those who are willing to devote themselves to one demon, to fight the other. That war is ancient, as old as the towers of Babylon if not older. Wind clash against shadow, blood burns against hate, plague and doom are both locked in an eternal conflict which knows no end. As long as they keep on fighting, you are safe- but if, even for a second, one side would succeed, you better dig yourself the biggest hole you can and bury yourself in it, and hope that soon another, bigger demon would rise to the fight.

There are demons of the shadows, and there are demons of the wind- but there are one thing is certain. Those demons are still around, and they are, undoubtedly, terrifying.

So, here is the link for the document. Right now it only contains the Edimmu update/variant (depends on how you look at it), but I plan to add to it the outcome of an "edimmu half damned" and Merges Sorcery. I'll update when I'll do. Hope you'll like it!
    Last edited by LostLight; 03-29-2018, 12:42 AM.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Nice. It makes the Edimmu more than just overpowered combat monsters with a self-destruct trick. It makes them characters in their own right who may be the lesser evil compared to the Owls, but still more dangerous to Kindred. Which may be the idea behind those who summon them.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
      Nice. It makes the Edimmu more than just overpowered combat monsters with a self-destruct trick. It makes them characters in their own right who may be the lesser evil compared to the Owls, but still more dangerous to Kindred. Which may be the idea behind those who summon them.
      Thanks! That's exactly what I was trying to do, so I'm glad it worked out :P

Anyway, finished my draft for Merges Sorcery, not including rituals and the new Conditions, as well as a new presentation of the Iltani as a covenant instead of a bloodline (even though the bloodline can still exist as the founders of the covenant). Hope you'll like it!

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

I like what's there, and the weakness of distilling Vice; evocative and interesting to play.

Comment

What are some thematic limits to what Merges Sorcery can do? Do all the potions need to have effects that activate upon ingestion (or absorption for some), or are some spell components for arcane rituals?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
            What are some thematic limits to what Merges Sorcery can do? Do all the potions need to have effects that activate upon ingestion (or absorption for some), or are some spell components for arcane rituals?
            Following Ancient Bloodlines, Merges Sorcery deals with poisons, venom, curses, negative emotions, anger, hate, vengeance, madness and all other nice things which come from corruption of both mind, body and soul. As Merges Sorcery distills pure emotions into liquid form, it does not require any outside ingredients- hence why the Sacrifice does not require actual components (like Theban Sorcery does), but channels a Vice as a part of the ritual. That's the nice twist of Merges Sorcery- that in a way, it is the most "human" of the Blood Sorceries, for it requires the vampire to remember the emotions they had as mortals. Sure, it use the Beast to do so, but it makes the Beast of the Vipers much more human like than the regular one (no mechanics for that, of course, other than the additions of Vice- but a ST could play with it to emphasis than angle. I know I would have)

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

And now I’m imagining a vampire trying to ‘redeem’ themselves by practicing Merges Sorcery to attempt to shed off their dark emotions (whether it works or not), while summoning Edimmu to destroy other vampires.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                And now I’m imagining a vampire trying to ‘redeem’ themselves by practicing Merges Sorcery to attempt to shed off their dark emotions (whether it works or not), while summoning Edimmu to destroy other vampires.

And now you know why VII may be a faction of the Iltani with their clothes inside-out and speaking in an accent. All you need is someone vengeful enough against vampires themselves, and knowledge of how to summon an unending supply of demon-winds. Their mind-reading immunity? Easy enough with the proper Merges distillation, as amnesia is a type of madness and immunity spite for interrogators. The Strix showing up before the next round of VII murders? Well, it's a pretty big disaster when a homicidal demonologist comes to the city - and it could be the VII were following the Strix. They hate all vampires, especially the inHuman ones.

Comment

Also- the Strix and the Edimmu really hate each other (in the "I'll find you and kill you" kind of hate), so it should surprise no one that where the one goes, the other follows.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Nice! I liked the Edimmu and the way you updated them and gave them a purpose and a place as "solution that might be as terrible as the problem" is quite cool. Also, the fact everyone can use the ritual is ripe with story hooks. Good job!

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Working...
                    X