Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about predatory aura

Hey,

In 1st edition, a vampire could tell how old another vampire is, even could compare two nearby vampires which one is older. In the 2nd edition, it is ambiguous, nothing is mentioned about this ability, only that you can feel another vampire. Is this ability was taken away in the 2nd edition?

Correct, you normally cannot tell the age of a vampire from Predatory Aura. That said, I *think* (Don't quote me) that Half-Damned for the Dhampir or Revenants has some kind of sense where they can tell if someone is a vampire, their clan, and so forth - I don't know if age or blood potency is one of those elements. I am away from my books right now, but I can look later if it's important to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Altern View Post
      Hey,

In 1st edition, a vampire could tell how old another vampire is, even could compare two nearby vampires which one is older. In the 2nd edition, it is ambiguous, nothing is mentioned about this ability, only that you can feel another vampire. Is this ability was taken away in the 2nd edition?
      In 1st Edition vampires could not really tell each other’s ages, but could tell relative Blood Potency thanks to the Predator’s Taint. The weaker vampire wanted to run, the stronger vampire wanted to chase, and both had to fight to suppress that instinct. The equivalent in 2nd Edition is the Predatory Aura, which is lashed out with voluntarily, and includes an element of Blood Potency, but also an element of Power Attributes, and an element of luck.

So in 1e, when you met another vampire for the first time, you could tell if their blood was stronger or weaker than yours based on your instinctive reaction to them. In 2e, one of you would have to choose to Lash Out, and you would only be able to tell that the loser of the clash was overall less forceful in that moment, maybe because of thinner blood, maybe because of weaker personality, maybe because it was just an off day for them. Most likely some combination of the three You’d have to regularly clash with someone to tell who was winning the most consistently to know who had the stronger beast, and still it might not be all about Blood Potency.

That’s going by a literal interpretation of the rules, of course. Personally, I always liked the idea that vampires, in a vague sense, can tell other vampire’s Blood Potency relative to their own. And I like the idea of the instinct to run from stronger vampires or chase weaker ones. So, in my games, that still happens, it just isn’t mechanically enforced, and the instinct isn’t strong enough to force a Frenzy check.
      Last edited by Charlaquin; 04-09-2018, 11:33 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Furthermore, if I'm not wrong, since torpor lower the bp, in first edition you could be in front of an ancient just awake from torpor and have a greater BP (not meaning you are older).

Comment

That is correct. Nothing innately lets vampires in either edition detect another vampires approximate age, just their approximate personal power.

Comment

Wasn't there ways to do so by tasting their blood?

Comment

Maybe on an exceptional success on a Taste of Blood roll might let you discern age if your ST is kind enough. Depends on how and what you gain from "You can discern extensive
              details from the blood.".

Comment

wondered for a bit... does a revenant get Predatory Aura, if so its probaly quite a boon.

Comment

Yeah they get an aura. Nothing in their rules says otherwise.

Comment

You should be able to use Auspex to get an approximation in regard to 2nd Edition, though.

Question(s) you could possibly ask with its first dot:

Who here has a higher blood potency than me?

Who here has the highest blood potency?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post
                      You should be able to use Auspex to get an approximation in regard to 2nd Edition, though.

Not sure about it. The first power is literally focused on immediate dangers and weakness. Asking who has the highest BP seems to me off theme and a little forced.
                      Last edited by Marcus; 04-18-2018, 03:16 AM.

Comment

It's certainly a borderline application of Auspex. Even if you allowed such questions, you're giving vague responses. I would certainly exercise a bit of ST discretion to not allow that precise question over a more general idea of vampric power, so things like higher current blood pools, breadth and depth of Disciplines/other powers, and Blood Potency could all influence the response..

Comment

I'd personally just allow the question: Who here has the lowest BP.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post

I think better questions would be:

Who is the most dangerous right now?
                            Who has the greatest weakness?

( remember the first dot is about immediate danger and weakness )

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
                            I'd personally just allow the question: Who here has the lowest BP.
                            If we are still talking the first dot, That doesn't show weakness or immediate danger.
                            An Elder vampire could have woken from centuries of sleep and have 1-2 BP and still have the ability to completely obliterate a neonate with the same 1-2 BP. It doesn't mean they are weak or a danger to you.
                            Last edited by Vitalis; 04-18-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vitalis View Post

I think better questions would be:

Who is the most dangerous right now?
                              Who has the greatest weakness?

( remember the first dot is about immediate danger and weakness )

If we are still talking the first dot, That doesn't show weakness or immediate danger.
                              An Elder vampire could have woken from centuries of sleep and have 1-2 BP and still have the ability to completely obliterate a neonate with the same 1-2 BP. It doesn't mean they are weak or a danger to you.
                              I completely agree. I 'm not very fine with this question in fact but, since the topic was about BP, if you really want to ask for it I would go in this way since it's more about showing a weakness.
                              By the way, even if it is an elder with all the discipline at 5, still having the lowest bp in the place is a weakness factor. At least it means you cannot activate every discipline you like. But again, it's a borderline question and Auspex is actually particularly inclined to be object of different interpretations and doubts.

Comment

Working...
                              X