VtR 2nd for Dark Ages?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VtR 2nd for Dark Ages?

How would you go about running a VtR 2nd edition in a dark ages setting? Let's just say Constantinope in 1201 AD (three years before they were sacked).

Is it really just as simple as switching over three skills (Computer, Drive, Firearm) to (Enigma, Riding, Archery)?

What are the other considerations for this?

Concept -
    Clan -
    Covenant -

Mask / Dirge -
    Humanity / Touchstones -
    Merits -

Discipline -

And more, please point me in the right step.

Lancea et Sanctum would probably be big, but there probably wouldn't be actual Carthians. I think the core book has some of the lost covenants that might have been around at the time. I don't believe mask, dirge, humanity or touchstones would come into play, and Merits would only come into play when it was an obvious thing, like a gun-based fighting style. Disciplines would be the same.

For the most part yes, just changing three skills and keeping modern conveniences out of things. Vampires didn't seem that different at the time.

Comment

Covenant

While doing research for this chronicle, I found either a typo or something that changes everything. "At a mere two centuries of age, the Circle of the Crone is a newcomer to kindred society." - One Thousand Years of Night, pg.32. How handles the Cruac in this era in that case? The Lancea Sanctum? Or were they too splintered to have any type of organization?

So Circle of the Crone, Carthians, and Ordo Dracul are all out at 1201 AD.

Instead we get an Invictus who is still mostly married to the Lancea Santcum with all the First Estate and Second Estate stuff. Basically they were the survivors of Rome. And then we have the Legion of the Dead, The Gallows Post, the Children's Crusade, the Tenth Choir, and Cerebrus Pack (that no one knows about).

Clan

So all standard five clans exist, but additionally there are some Julii, Hollow Mekhet, Akhud, and Piyavica.

Merits / Equipment

Should be too hard to handle, if they would cause problem in Constantinople, they can't have it.

Humanity / Touchstones

This actually appears very tricky to me. It isn't as if you can just use it as it is because breaking points and so forth would be different. A person today seeing someone decapitate in the street, might run away screaming while a person from 1201 AD might just make sure no noticed while the took the dead person's purse.

Background Merits

I think I am going to packages, similar to what they in Thousand Years of Night, but for neonates, not elders.

Dirge / Mask

I thin peasants often had to lie and manipulate to get what they needed just to survive. I don't believe they were all "simple country folk", perhaps they couldn't read, but they had their own sense of cunning. That said, the Mask becomes very important for vampires who came from modest backgrounds.

Comment

On one hand, yeah, it is that simple. Though it can also be a lot more complicated if you want to go deeper. There's a reason there's two Dark Era books with a companion book, and fans still working on their own ones.

While not exactly on point, the Islamic Golden Age is going to be in DE 2, covering the time period for vampires and beasts, and I can't imagine Constantinople getting ignored even if the focus is east not west of the city; but it will probably have a lot of insight into the state of vampires in the High Middle Ages regarding ideas for Lost Clans, Covenants and so on.

Comment

I am currently running a game started in1205 in Venice. I am rather tied up at the moment with family matters tho. As soon as i have access to a computer i'll write up what i am doing with kindred society in the game.

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
          Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.
          Currently planning: Scion 2nd edition

Comment

Ancient Bloodlines and Ancient Mysteries already feature an era on the Crusades (1095 to 1300) called Clash of Empires. It is mostly written from the European point of view, so Constantinople plays a fairly major role and Mystikoi Bloodline is based out of the city. The Fourth Crusade and the sacking of Constantinople both are treated as big important events. You also get pagan Viking blood sorcerers in the form of the Tagma ton Xenon.

I'm not sure if the Tenth Choir would be around yet, but everything else sounds about right to me. You can actually compose a decent medieval history for the city from a Kindred perspective between Fall of the Camarilla, Ancient Bloodlines/Mysteries, and the Dark Eras Companion.
            Last edited by Second Chances; 05-06-2018, 10:30 PM.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Second Chances - I do own those books in print so I will check them out.

Comment

I also own Constantinople by Night, but yeah I am not going to have some Toreador who looks like a stained glass angel with some Baali lover. Been there, done that. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by mikerand View Post
                  I also own Constantinople by Night, but yeah I am not going to have some Toreador who looks like a stained glass angel with some Baali lover. Been there, done that. LOL
                  Good man. Always felt like the reasonable vampire politics of Constantinople just fell off the deep end at some point.

Anyway, in CofD--if you want--my impression is that Constantinople is a city heavily, heavily influenced by the God Machine. Think "Byzantine" in the way that word is used today. Now this shouldn't directly influence the vamps, other than giving them a strong sense that no matter how hard they try to press to control the system, something seems to resist them and if they go too far, people just disappear. You could play up that paranoia if you like, and therefore spread the influences of the Kindred court out into the duchies.

Other notes:

Julii were rendered officially extinct as of 410, the fall of Rome. The clan was always heavily centralized on Rome, which apparently retained its seat as head of the Camarilla even while the Emperor himself ended up a figurehead and the capital migrated to Milan and Ravenna. That said, there is room for a few Julii survivors, pretending to be Ventrue and working to re-establish hegemony while hiding from who-knows-what that they sense worked to destroy their elders. (Namely, the Strix.)

The Legio Mortuus by now has disintegrated into regional bands of mercenaries--likely there is a vampiric sort of Varangian Guard in Constantinople that keeps their martial traditions alive, however. Beyond that the Gallows Post is an established thing: I've dubed it Cursus Mortuis in other posts here; essentially it should be quite a potent institution and in decent working order within the Empire.

The Circle is not yet fully formed as a Covenant, however you could give access to Cruac through Mystery Cult Initiation merits, to model the distributed and fragmented nature of the groups that were out there.

Lancea is quite powerful, and quite interested in stamping out "heretical" forms of sorcery. Everyone expects the Lancean Inquisition!

Humanity and Touchstones. My suggestion is to assume that people inure themselves to a level of death, suffering and mundane horror that would be unacceptable in the modern age. That could mean that your "average" mortal is rocking Integrity 5-ish more than 7-ish. The main way to cope lies in diligent maintenance of ties to family, Church and the expression of cultural mores such as generosity and shame/honor. There's a lot you can research regarding the culture of the day, but in short their concept of "human rights" was different, even as it collided with what scriptures said about the relationship between individuals and God. Again, the main way to cope with this dichotomy was through observance of rites and donations to the Church.

Clan. Certain Bloodlines would have more extensive influence. You've mentioned a few, but the Kerberoi are another one that were based from Constantinople.

Carthians are out. That said, nothing keeps you from using Carthian Law as a powerset (in whole or in part) for a custom Covenant of Mystery Cult. You could even model vampiric Constantinople around an Eastern-Empire group that exercises Law instead of Invictus Oaths. Lancea won't care, and it might fit the nature of Byzantine society better--I'd have to read up more to cite the parallels accurately.

Headcanon suggests that there must have been precursors to the Ordo Dracul. My pet theory is that Dracula actually infiltrated and co-opted an older, less extensive and more calcified cult (lets call them the "Illuminated Ones") that was organized around alchemical theories applied to the vampiric condition and outward magic--to throw out a few ideas. And then, he overpowered them from within, superseded them and rebranded the organization in a fashion that his "brides" took outward. This... is frankly an excuse I can wave to introduce analogs to the the Coils in DE settings. Also, I prefer to think that "there is nothing new under the [moon]."

--Khanwulf

Comment

Working...
                  X