Vicissitude

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vicissitude

So the other night I was thinking about playing a Tzimisce in CoD. And since there aren't any, and we're not using the translation guide (to my knowledge it doesn't work with VTR 2nd? correct me if I'm wrong.) I settled for Gangrel.

Then, while reading Ordo Dracula, I thought of making some of the more prominent powers of vicissitude devotions / scales. (For instance: Malleable Visage being a devotion of Protean at level 2.)

But how would you go about the other abilities? I don't want them all to be devotions, that honestly has no flavor. Maybe work them into Dragon rites or scales?

Suggestions?

The Translation Guide can't translate the second edition VtR Disciplines since they have been updated, but there is no reason why you couldn't use the VtM Disciplines (or Clans) presented in it. Some might take a little bit of rebalancing to properly fit in, but they should work.
    Otherwise there's several fan made conversions on this forum if you look around.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
      The Translation Guide can't translate the second edition VtR Disciplines since they have been updated, but there is no reason why you couldn't use the VtM Disciplines (or Clans) presented in it. Some might take a little bit of rebalancing to properly fit in, but they should work.
      Otherwise there's several fan made conversions on this forum if you look around.

Yes I have the 13 Licks stuff. I like it quite a bit.
      In fact I would go so far as to say that I prefer the CoD rule set but the WoD setting. (if that makes any sense.)

I've just never really looked into making Vicissitude something that could plausibly happen in a CoD game.

Comment

I don't know what abilities Vicissitude actually gives but I have some understanding of the theme.
        For anything that involves inflicting change on another's flesh I would make a vigour devotion, for deceptive shape shifting I would make an Obfuscate devotion. Beyond that I don't know enough to helpfully contribute.

Comment

I know there are a few homebrew Tzimsce bloodlines on the homebrew thread, and I was working on my own take of them, but I'd have to dig it up and see how far I got with it.

Comment

I'm thinking
            Malleable Visage being a Protean 2 + Resilience 1 devotion

Flesh Crafting, well I was hoping I could find something in Ordo Dracula like the path of metamorphosis, as that would work really well, but since I want to use existing things I'm guessing it'll have to be a devotion also. The same with Bone Crafting.

Maybe a scale or something for Anatomical grafting. I saw how there was was one for skin grafting already. maybe an extrapolation.

need to flesh these out more.

Comment

Not too long ago there was some discussion of tying the Pijavica back and making them a version of Tzimisce in CofD. The thought being that the Tzimisce/Pijavica (it's a Yugoslavian/Croat term) in later years split into two groups: one that degenerated and was unable to hold itself together under 4 BP, and another that is more stable and easily able to masquerade as, say, Ventrue (or Gangrel).

Let me haul out a few notes and hammer a bit... hope it helps.

---

TZIMISCE (aka PIJAVICA [Pie-java-CA], Souleaters, Drinkers) (Variations: Pijawica, Pijawika)

Across the region now known as Croatia and Yugoslavia the folk-tales tell of vampiric revenants known as a pijavica ("drinker"). Typically male, this vampire is supposedly created when a person dies who has committed an act of incest with his mother, although a person who was particularly evil in life may also return as this type of vampire. The pijavica will first attack its family and then its descendants, ultimately killing every person it can on its family tree until it is stopped. Only once it has killed its entire family line will it move on to other people. The pijavica has the ability to detect its own family members, no matter how distant the relation.

This vampire is very fast and very strong. In addition to being able to read minds, it also has the power of suggestion. Unless it is destroyed by a willful act, the pijavica is otherwise an immortal being.

Prolonged exposure to direct sunlight will eventually kill a pijavica as will staking it through the chest with hawthorn wood or burning it to ash. However, the most effective way to kill a pijavica is to decapitate it and when reburying the body, place the head between its legs.

(References: Ralston, Songs of the Russian People, 410; Ronay, Truth about Dracula, 22; Senn, Werewolf and Vampire in Romania),Also refer to http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...g-the-pijavica.

The truth, of course, is darker and more insidious. The Tzimisce bloodline (or, clan, if you listen to them) is descended from either the Ventrue or Gangrel of Eastern Europe—some say they are as old as the Slavic peoples. Some say older; or younger—that the first Tzimisce rode with the Scythians and was cursed to remain behind, tied to the land. It’s hard to tell, but if the records are right they were dug in like leeches throughout Dacia and beyond during the age of the Camarilla; it’s hard to tell because the Senex cared little about the vampire clans outside of Rome—assuming they gave tribute, of course.

The Becoming: Tzimisce embraces are harrowing things. The experience shatters bonds and reshapes minds as well as bodies. The experience of inducting a new bloodline member (for in fact it is such) is similarly violating. As a result, Tzimisce tend to be drawn to individuals who are… a little bit broken, a little bent, but still proud and strong—strong enough to survive and impose their will as lords.

Tzimisce who emerge mentally intact from their embrace may observe the experience to that of being eaten alive from within by something… something temporarily—sated. The Bloodline often refers to members fallen to draugr as “lost to the Souleater.”

For this unnerving habit the Tzimisce would deserve their askance from other vampires. However, their tendencies to adopt freakish body characteristics and to foist them on hapless victims, and the fact that Tzimisce tend to appear inhuman even to vampiric eyes—almost like sacks of blood in straining human-ish skin, all impair their social interactions. Tzimisce make even jaded elders nervous, and with good reason. If only they weren’t dug in so deep, and didn’t so thoroughly command their land and minions, they say—they could dispense with the whole “clan” entirely.

Tzimisce may adopt members from both the Ventrue and Gangrel clans.

Bloodline Bane: Souleater Curse
              A Tzimisce shreds connections even as they gain them, and their embrace only reinforces that. A newly embraced childe immediately gains a new touchstone linked to the land of their embrace, connected to Humanity 2. Their blood also eats away at their mind and soul, reshaping it in harrowing ways; every daysleep for four nights following their embrace in which they have not consumed at least 10 points of blood or Vitae they must make a Humanity breaking point check using only a chance die. During this period, until 40 points are consumed, all Frenzy checks are done as if the fledgling were starving.

Tzimisce apply social penalties from low Humanity to interactions with vampires as well as mortals.

Bloodline Disciplines: Celerity, Dominate, Protean, Vigor
              [For reference the example Pijavica character in Thousand Years has: Celerity 3, Dominate 5, Majesty 4, Protean 3, Resilience 3, Vigor 2. My suggestion is to hew to the line of their folklore, which is strong and fast but with a list of effective ways to kill them. They shouldn’t have Majesty because that’s an easy way to get out of social penalties. They could have Resilience, but perhaps better if their Devotions caused damage that needed healing through Vitae?]

Bloodline Gift: Viscissitude
              A Tzimisce gains Blood Sympathy with the land of their embrace as if it were their sire, and similarly enjoys Blood Sympathy with his mortal relatives as well. These are one-way sympathies: the land doesn’t care if the Tzimisce suffers, nor do his relatives, but he can feel their presence and they impinge on his consciousness.

If a Tzimisce infects another creature with enough blood to establish a sympathetic link (in other words, a step toward a Blood Bond), then that creature may be used as the target for a series of Devotions. Curiously, this works if any Tzimisce infects a given creature.

Viscissitude Devotions [Undefined, similar to WoD Viscissitude, including Form of Blood. One Devotion should mimic Auspex mind-reading, but work only on an infected subject’s surface thoughts.]

Tzimisce in the future:
              By the late middle-ages Ventrue lords with backing from the Chapel and Spear wielded mortal armies that dug out or converted most Tzimisce domains. Left adrift, the Souleaters either succumbed to draugr or became something else. As the Son of the Dragon rose to prominence and the teachings of his Ordo Dracul spread, quite a few Tzimisce delved into Coils to reforge new ties to distant lands and better reinvent themselves, masquerading as Ventrue or Gangrel someplace more hospitable. Others… didn’t, and found that as their ties to the land became strained they lost control over their forms and even had greater difficulty siring. This branch, it is said, died out so entirely they are only obscure legend.

Like the Tzimisce themselves.

Their cousins, from towers of steel overlooking verdant parks teaming with meat, can only raise a glass and grin.

---

--Khanwulf
              Last edited by Khanwulf; 05-11-2018, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Well, I found some of my old notes and like Khanwulf I made the Tzimisce a bloodline of the Pijavica. I'd have to flesh it out more, but I made them more reminiscent of the Old World Tzimisce (as in European) than the modern Tzimisce.

Comment

Originally posted by Ever Professional View Post
                  Well, I found some of my old notes and like Khanwulf I made the Tzimisce a bloodline of the Pijavica. I'd have to flesh it out more, but I made them more reminiscent of the Old World Tzimisce (as in European) than the modern Tzimisce.
                  Toss 'em up! I... don't think there's been a Tzimisce bloodline redo recently, at least not since the Pijavica. Would be nice to arrive at a decent 2e take on them.

The <very rough> version above is based on the idea that the Tzimisce are mechanically a bloodline, but they don't even know where they're from, really. They are also assumed to have gone undercover by modern nights, and are still around, but playing at being a variety of Ventrue or Gangrel because they can. More or less.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Tzimisce make most sense to me as a Nosferatu Bloodline with Protean both in theme as they're creepy flesh crafters and by Disaplins as Vigour is used as the make it do something extra for a devotion disaplin to push Protean onto another.

Comment

what if you don't make them a bloodline? Make them a new/forgotten clan.

Comment

In the end either vicissitude and the tzimisce can be one of many thing depending on what are the themes you want to play with.

If you go with vicissitude as a tool for transcendence then vicissitude makes more sense as a special scale from the ordo dracul with the Tzimisce probably the name of the faction researching it.

If you go with vicissitude as a tool for body horror then vicissitude is a set of devotion and bloodline gift from a bloodline of nosferatu that tried to solve their clan bane with fleshcrafting and it went horribly horribly wrong. Now they make chairs out of people.

I'm sure there are a lot of other themes involved with vicissitude or the tzimisce. I'll admit i'm not that well-versed in Vampire the Masquerade.

Anyway, you just have to pinpoint what you want vicissitude to mean in your game and work from there.

Hope that helps.

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
                        Currently playing: Tomb of Annihilation (DnD5e) - Thulwir, Aasimar Circle of Dream Druid.

Comment

Vicissitude could even be a whole Mystery (the Mystery of Metamorphosis) if someone wishes to spend the effort. The Coil would amplify the base powers of healing and the Cleansing into tools of transformation, and Scales would include ways to inflict some of these effects onto others.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Is their a reason not to want Thaumatalagy if its av ailable in a requiem game? but much more potent then cruac or theban sorcerry?

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                              Is their a reason not to want Thaumatalagy if its av ailable in a requiem game? but much more potent then cruac or theban sorcerry?

I like the 13 licks approach to Thaumaturgy as keeping in line with the other forms of blood magic (Cruac and Theban) by making it a separate out of clan discipline. I highly reccomend reading those write-ups.

Comment

Working...
                              X