Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Vampire pull punches?

Can a vampire with vigor, or Strengh above 5 Who isnt in frenzy
    slap someone in the face without knocking their teeth out, or swat a child without putting them in the ER.

(Guess this should have been in the chronicles of darkness general forum comes up for all supernaturals)
    Last edited by Prince of the Night; 05-18-2018, 12:46 PM.

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
    Can a vampire with vigor, or Strengh above 5 Who isnt in frenzy
    slap someone in the face without knocking their teeth out, or swat a child without putting them in the ER.

(Guess this should have been in the chronicles of darkness general forum comes up for all supernaturals)

Of course, they can. Just like any human could too. They don't have to use all their strength.

Comment

Sure, as long as they’re not using that one Devotion where not being able to use less than full strength is explicitly the drawback.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

will it be obvious their holding back?

Comment

will it be obvious their holding back?

Is it any more obvious that humans are only using 10% of their muscle strength throughout the day?

A vampire who's holding back their strength might appear to be stronger than normal. But there's a huge difference between knocking somebody unconscious with a blow to the head, and ripping the head clean off their body with a simple backhand.
          Last edited by Nyrufa; 05-18-2018, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Also the rhetorical question: is strength at all related to body size among vampires.

Comment

Originally posted by Poseur View Post
              Also the rhetorical question: is strength at all related to body size among vampires.
              Not really. You can have child vampires with strength most adults can’t achieve. I’ve always thought it’s more a metaphysical thing.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
              Podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love by giving them away

Comment

I think it might be reasonable to reduce the maximum strength of a child vampire by 1 or 2 would still be what most adults cant achieve strength 8 at blood potency 10 but reflect that musculature is at least somewhat involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

Not really. You can have child vampires with strength most adults can’t achieve. I’ve always thought it’s more a metaphysical thing.

Yeah, that was kind of mind point.

Comment

I think it might be reasonable to reduce the maximum strength of a child vampire by 1 or 2 would still be what most adults cant achieve strength 8 at blood potency 10 but reflect that musculature is at least somewhat involved.
                    Eh, human children don’t even have their strength capped like that. Besides, musculature isn’t involved. A vampire’s body never changes from the state it was in when she died thanks to the cleansing. Even a vampire who increases his strength score (as opposed to learning Vigor) doesn’t gain an ounce of muscle mass. If he did, the cleansing would burn it off while he slept. Yet it is entirely possible for a vampire to buy dots of Strength. Ergo the only natural conclusion is that a vampire’s physical strength is completely unrelated to her muscles.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

ok

another thing on my opening comment giving a child a swat

1 problem I have is the vampiric equilivent branding

is made a lot more permanent in 2nd edition

because aggravated damage leaves scars rather then fading in gradations over weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Poseur View Post

Considering they are locked into whatever physical appearance they had in life (barring a few special circumstances), I'd say no.

Practically all of them can use their blood to buff their physical attributes to levels that would rival olympic athletes, and then you have Vigor, Resilience and Celerity which can push them even further beyond that. Obviously, we don't have too many vampires walking around with 600 lbs. worth of muscle on their body, which is probably what you would need from a human in order to accomplish similar feats of might.

Comment

What doesn't people get with: rhetorical question?
                          That was also a rhetorical question.

Comment

Of course, vampires should also all have permanent anterior grade amnesia as part of their bodies reverting back each night, so I guess they don't store memories in brain tissue either.

Comment

Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
                              Of course, vampires should also all have permanent anterior grade amnesia as part of their bodies reverting back each night, so I guess they don't store memories in brain tissue either.
                              Well, yeah. Nothing about vampire bodies works like human bodies do. Their thoughts have nothing to do with their neurons because they don’t fire. Their emotions have nothing to do with neurochemistry because they don’t produce neurotransmitters. Their sensory perception has nothing to do with their nerves. Nothing about vampires makes sense if you try to think of it in terms of biology because vampires are not bio-organisms. They are lumps of dead tissue that magically regenerate or degenerate as necessary to their state at the time of death.

Comment

Working...
                              X