Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I alone in this? SotC and Clan books?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I alone in this? SotC and Clan books?

So just to be clear - I love the style and information in Secrets of the Covenants and the 1E Clan books. But am I alone in having issues reading them because of the switching back and forth between fonts, hand writing, and other stylistic changes? I try to read them and get into it, then jarringly, it changes to a different font or writing style and I get a headache. Also, I can only read them about half as fast as I can read normal text for some reason.

No, you're not alone, I think it was a pretty common criticism back when the clanbooks were released. I also remember that I had lots of issues with actually displaying the pdfs, they were a lot for my poor pc, and they loaded sloooowly. It was almost ten years ago, though. Time flies.

Italian nuisance. English is my second language, so be patient!

My homebrew:
    [VtR 2e] Light From a Dead Star: Rome
    [WtF 2e] The Past Is Another Country: Rome

Comment

My disinterest with the clanbooks was the other way around, originally. Had no problem with the differing styles, it just didn't seem to offer the information I wanted. Mind this was after, for instance, a book entirely full of Bloodlines. Granted there's a lot of fluff but it's 'hard' fluff, all given to you pretty clearly.

Rereading it later and giving it a chance I really liked what they offered.

Comment

I'm not bothered by the variety of writing styles and presentations, but I am bothered by the specific fonts and presentations used. CofD and WoD books have sometimes undervalued clarity and legibility in choosing display fonts, and too many flourishes in a font really can clutter a body of text. I think Da Vinci Forward and Industrial Schizophrenic are cool looking display fonts too, but they're not great for writing out entire paragraphs. Contrast is important as well. Some of the artifact letter backgrounds can be too dark or varied for a smooth reading experience.

Comment

Well no, you are not alone. The fonts make it really annoying to read at times. But I have such a love-hate relationship with the clanbooks and SotC, they are great for mood and feel, but terrible at giving the information I'm looking for and/or want from them. So there are parts of them I really love, but at the same time I can't ignore of how much I hate them. Great books though, would read again, even though i read them all at least 5 times each.

But when it comes to the fonts and style itself, i do have some problems reading it and getting to understand what they are saying at times, especially since English is not my native language. But I have more problems with not finding what I'm after in a clear way, the anecdotal style is far more frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Poseur View Post
            Well no, you are not alone. The fonts make it really annoying to read at times. But I have such a love-hate relationship with the clanbooks and SotC, they are great for mood and feel, but terrible at giving the information I'm looking for and/or want from them. So there are parts of them I really love, but at the same time I can't ignore of how much I hate them. Great books though, would read again, even though i read them all at least 5 times each.

But when it comes to the fonts and style itself, i do have some problems reading it and getting to understand what they are saying at times, especially since English is not my native language. But I have more problems with not finding what I'm after in a clear way, the anecdotal style is far more frustrating.
            Many/most of the stories explored in the clan books are life segments, intentionally 'incomplete'. They aim to give a 'slice of unlife' and tantalize us with wanting to know more without neatly summarizing the characters and motives involved. For example, Felix is a character in both the Gangrel and Daeva clan books, with a fair deal of text allotted to him, and we get information on him from several viewpoints, but we never get an unbiased, expositional-style narrative of who he is, or what his motivations are. The same is true of Frances Black and some of the other clanbook-centric PCs. On the other hand, for say, Solomon Birch, we get his PoV in some of the fiction but we also have a narrative or more neutral, expositional truth 'about him' handed to us with his entries in WoD: Chicago, IH:NS, while simultaneously having fiction either from his PoV or seeing him through the eyes of another.

The fonts can get annoying and I do find myself occasionally copy-pasting with some of the fonds into another text document format. Very font-dependent.

Comment

I can't say I'm a fan of the way information is presented through the Clan books or SotC.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

I, on the other hand, loved them because of that. The different ways the info is presented made it actuallyinteresting to read while also getting a lot of ideas for how to present the mood of the game while running it.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Working...
                X