Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what are your explanations for Oaths and Laws?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post

Since you can be part of more than one covenant (total status can't exceed 5) i'd argue that the Night Doctors were formed out of kindred who are part of both. You'd see them more often in carthians because carthians are more likely to share and since Night Doctor surgery isnt a coil or scale the Ordo has no say on it being taught to others.
    But still several of them dabble in both covenant i think.

Keep in mind. Thats what i go with, not necessarily whats written tho.

keep in mind, the Carthians have the right of return merit.

though I'd rather be amongst the circle then the ordo dracul personally.

Comment

Rose Bailey described most vampire powers as the predatory aura being controlled to do something. So I'd stick with that. Oaths involve those involved investing a part of their predatory aura in others, which can punish if necessary. Carthians involve their predatory aura's joining up to allow for a lot of clout.

Comment

Since you can be part of more than one covenant (total status can't exceed 5) i'd argue that the Night Doctors were formed out of kindred who are part of both. You'd see them more often in carthians because carthians are more likely to share and since Night Doctor surgery isnt a coil or scale the Ordo has no say on it being taught to others.
        But still several of them dabble in both covenant i think.

Keep in mind. Thats what i go with, not necessarily whats written tho.
        The fact that it's not a Scale suggests to me that it was developed by someone not initiated in the Mysteries of Ordo Dracul. If the creator was a Dragon they'd definitely base the procedure in the knowledge gained from studying the corresponding Mystery (or possibly create a new one if the Ascendant wasn't invented or known at the time). But it's definitely something the Ordo Dracul would study (just look at Flesh Graft Treatment). A crafty Carthian spy could've gotten their hands on some of the Ordo's secrets in form of research notes and used their incomplete knowledge to create Night Doctor Surgery.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
          Rose Bailey described most vampire powers as the predatory aura being controlled to do something. So I'd stick with that. Oaths involve those involved investing a part of their predatory aura in others, which can punish if necessary. Carthians involve their predatory aura's joining up to allow for a lot of clout.
          Interesting.
          I've always had Cruac, Theban, Carthian Law and Invictus Oath be manipulation of the blood sympathy (as i mentionned above)
          But disciplines are specialized expression of predatory aura.

Then again, it occurs to me that blood sympathy would be related in some way to the predatory aura.

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
          Currently playing: Tomb of Annihilation (DnD5e) - Thulwir, Aasimar Circle of Dream Druid.

Comment

You could also think of Carthian Law and Invictus Oaths as actually being the result of "forcing" the Predatory Aura "into" Blood Sympathy to amplify and refine the effects, in the same way you could think of Auspex as kind of "mixing" the Predatory Aura with Kindred Senses, or of Obfuscate being a way of "inverting" the Aura and bending it around the vampire's "instinctively avoiding cameras/tech/mirrors/direct attention/etc." thing.

I've got a bit of a bad habit of extensively editing my posts after the fact. Please try and bear with me...
            In case you're comfortable being more friendly and casual about things, my name's Estella, or Es/Essie for short. She/Her or They/Them, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Sconce View Post
              You could also think of Carthian Law and Invictus Oaths as actually being the result of "forcing" the Predatory Aura "into" Blood Sympathy to amplify and refine the effects, in the same way you could think of Auspex as kind of "mixing" the Predatory Aura with Kindred Senses, or of Obfuscate being a way of "inverting" the Aura and bending it around the vampire's "instinctively avoiding cameras/tech/mirrors/direct attention/etc." thing.
              Thought for a bit Majestys a refinement of the Seductive beast predatory Aura.

Comment

Interesting.
                I've always had Cruac, Theban, Carthian Law and Invictus Oath be manipulation of the blood sympathy (as i mentionned above)
                But disciplines are specialized expression of predatory aura.

Then again, it occurs to me that blood sympathy would be related in some way to the predatory aura.
                The way I think about it, the embrace divides the sire's Beast, in much the same way that the Stirges divide to manage Shadow Potency. Blood Sympathy, then, could better be thought of as Beast Sympathy. The more closely related one vampire's Beast is to another, the stronger the sympathy.

So, in my view, both are correct. The various forms of blood sorcery (and lets face it, Oaths and Law are a form of blood sorcery) are expressions of blood sympathy, and blood sympathy is an expression of the predatory aura, so blood sorcery is an indirect expression of the predatory aura.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, Carthian Law was first practiced by the Senex, who called it the 'Corpus Juris'. I'm unsure yet, but I like the idea that it's essentially a mystical force or 'entity' in its own right, that fed on the blood sacrifices made before each Senex meeting in the Camarilla chamber.
                  Essentially, the Carthian Movement of Rome (which I like to think is modelled after the Senex) rediscovered this force and somehow expanded its scope to cover the entire global movement. I like to think that the blood sacrifices continue, much more frequently than in the nights of the Camarilla, carried out by all those high ranking Carthians in the know.

Raksi plays Peek-a-boo for keeps. ~ nalak42

Comment

Originally posted by Kleptomania View Post
                    As far as I'm concerned, Carthian Law was first practiced by the Senex, who called it the 'Corpus Juris'. I'm unsure yet, but I like the idea that it's essentially a mystical force or 'entity' in its own right, that fed on the blood sacrifices made before each Senex meeting in the Camarilla chamber.
                    Essentially, the Carthian Movement of Rome (which I like to think is modelled after the Senex) rediscovered this force and somehow expanded its scope to cover the entire global movement. I like to think that the blood sacrifices continue, much more frequently than in the nights of the Camarilla, carried out by all those high ranking Carthians in the know.
                    Sounds Kind of cool!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X