The Phanariot [2e Update]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Phanariot [2e Update]

So when Half Damned was announced, I had a slim, slim hope that perhaps we wouold get an updated Phanariot as ghoul antagonists. As the hope wasn't that strong, I was expecting for them to not show up in the book- but still, I was a bit disappointed. Personally, I think they are really good as antagonists, serving as a looming threat which hunts by being hunted, turns slavers into slaves and twist the powers of the blood against their users. While the original writeup tied them to the Abyss, I've thought to change it a little, instead connecting them much closer to their own cosmology in the form of the dark dimension from which the dear old Owls come from.

As such, and without any further notice, I present to you the Phanariot! Hope you'll like them!

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

I like the link to the Strix. This does seem like something the Owls would come up with, both to help bring more of themselves and their cousins to the world, and because it's hilarious. Also the "no ST bullshit" clause given how the Phanariot have relative free will ("Uh, can I not summon a legion of shadow beasts to the world tonight? I've got a good thing going.") and because only new ghouls can be infected with the Phanariot virus; presumably player ghouls have been that way for a while in most circumstances and are likely wondering why the hell their new fellow seems to be getting more and more important.

Comment

Haven’t read Mythologies (they’re from there, you say?), but these look good for antagonist material regardless. Subversion of the master-slave narrative always is.

Although it seems a bit... rules-heavy for a non-main focal template, for lack of a better word? (Or I’m just tired at the moment. More likely answer tbh)

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
        Haven’t read Mythologies (they’re from there, you say?), but these look good for antagonist material regardless. Subversion of the master-slave narrative always is.
        while it is a 1e book, it does have some very interesting plot hooks and setting material, IMO, with some of them being further developed/mentioned along the line (like Solace, the concept of Blood Curses/Banes, Mithraic Mysteries and Breath Drinking)

Although it seems a bit... rules-heavy for a non-main focal template, for lack of a better word? (Or I’m just tired at the moment. More likely answer tbh)
        well, I do have the tendency to create things as rule heavy- but it is kinda my style. I think that having a well defined mechanics, be them for protagonists or antagonists, gives a unique nature to the critter in question and better emphasis the story they are meant to tell. While it is not the design philosophy of most of the CofD games (especially in 2e), I'm not a CofD writer, so I can use my own writing philosophy :P

Anyway, I'm glad that you like it!

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Wow, those guys, you had to bring them up - now i wasted a whole hour of my life tracking my own old notes on them for a chronicle. From around 2012-14, damn, so long already since i last toyed with them...

Anyways, going by my notes, in Mythologies there was a mechanic about the infection trying to make the vampire spend a dot of willpower to transform a ghoul or human into a Phanariot, that personally felt like an awful idea to me, because imho, if someone should actively spend permanent willpower or anything in the process is the ghoul, not the vampire. From what i came with the following.

- The Phanariot spends a dot of willpower before being bitten, vampire gets infected upon drinking, making it so the next mortal to drink her vitae is turned into another Phanariot. Also, that draught of the first Phanariot's blood produces in the kindred a rush similar to the Kiss and counts as a step toward Vinculum, just like any further "empowered draughts" taken from it.

- Spending just a point of willpower instead of a dot will generate no Phanariot infection, but does produce the Kiss and Vinculum-like effects.

Origin-wise, my version of the Phanariot was an unexpected and quite undesirable byproduct of Melissidae experimentation with their drones, the Melissidae themselves being the profane fruit of a strange spirit infection/symbiosis with Abyssal Spiders (from Intruders: Encounters with the Abyss, pgs. 60-69), critters that spread from people to people by giving them mind-control powers.
          What only gets much, much worse as the group's Melissidae sets up her "master drone" ghoul as the CEO and mogul of her own TV channel...
          Last edited by Baaldam; 09-16-2018, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X