Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susceptibility of Other Sups

Two quick questions:
    1. Can mages be ghouls or are they immune?
    2. Is a Werewolf susceptible to a blood bind?

Supernaturals cannot be ghouls. No mages, werewolves, changelings, etc.

Everyone is susceptible to blood bonds. Werewolves, mages, changelings, etc.

Comment

Mages can't be ghouls, but they are susceptible to blood bonds. Although being mages, they have more ways to break them than other supernatural beings do.

Dave Brookshaw, freelance writer and Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
        Mages can't be ghouls, but they are susceptible to blood bonds. Although being mages, they have more ways to break them than other supernatural beings do.
        Could you please make some example?

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post

They can likely scour the bond from their own patterns, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post

They can likely scour the bond from their own patterns, for example.

Not likely according to the rules.

Comment

Pattern Restoration lets you remove a Mental Condition (no Beat) as an instant action, but blood bonds do sidestep that by not being Conditions, technically. I guess it depends on the limits. Could you remove a headache or mental exhaustion, even if you don't have a condition for it?

Using Arcana you'd probably need Space magic to cut the sympathetic ties, but could use easier things in Mind or Space to put them on hold.
              Last edited by nofather; 07-07-2018, 08:39 PM.

Comment

All supernaturals are subject to the blood bond (but not ghouling), except Demons only are when they're in a Cover; you can't blood bond all of a Demon, just a Cover, per the Storyteller's guide.

As for Mages, I think it's previously been stated Mind 2 can suppress the emotional pull of a Blood Bond, and Mind 5 or Space 5 can remove it entirely. It's not a condition, so can't be scoured (I believe).

Storyteller's Vault Writer
                WoD: Sorcerer's Companion (M:tA)
                CofD: Second Sight: Third Eye (CofD), Crossing the Veil 2e (Co-developer, CofD), Borrowed Power (CofD)

Comment

was told when STing a Princess game in first edition that no supernatural but vamps was susceptible to a blood bond

Did we Misread thjings? or were rules changed in 2nd edition jkust curious?

Ghouled Mages and "Abominations" were dedliberately excised as possibletys in Chronicles of Darkness"

Everyone loves to hate Sam Haight, is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                    was told when STing a Princess game in first edition that no supernatural but vamps was susceptible to a blood bond

Ghouled Mages and "Abominations" were dedliberately excised as possibletys in Chronicles of Darkness"

It's in the FAQ: Can werewolves, mages, demons, and other monsters be blood bonded?
                    Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post

They were confusing blood bond with ghouling. They're different things.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post

The only way I could think of to actually break the bond would be with an unraveling Death effect (since I believe vampiric powers fall under Death) or a 4th level bond-breaking Fate effect. Mind and probably Life at level 2 could temporarily suppress the effects of a bond.. Spirit could likely get hold of something that could destroy the bond, but it may be easier said than done to find and bind the appropriate spirit.

Comment

With regard to mages breaking the bond, there is more than one way to skin that cat in my opinion.

As a power of the undead, Death could unravel it or prevent it.

As a mind affecting power, Mind could unravel it or prevent it.

As vitae that is ingested, Life could prevent it being absorbed and having any effect, good or bad.

As a fluid (vitae), Matter could also prevent it from being absorbed, or if the mage has enough dots, just destroy the vitae before absorption or even ingestion. I would probably rule that Death would need to be used in conjunction to destroy it.

Much like a geas, Fate would be able to destroy the bond. At least I think so.

A spirit could be summoned with Spirit to break the bond. But I think the effort and price for such a task would not be worth it.

I'm not sure that Prime would have much effect, and I don't think Space would do the trick either as I believe that the blood bond does not rely on sympathetic ties.

However, the only surefire way to avoid the blood bond in my opinion would be to prevent the ingestion or absorption of the vitae. I believe that once the bond is in place, any magic used to break it would be subject to a Clash of Wills. Any such clash would be dependent on the power of the mage compared to the power of the vampire.

So a noob mage is in deep doo doo if Dracula slips him a mickey, and conversely, Merlin will laugh at some newly turned fanger trying to bond him.

Other splats have ways of breaking the bond, but the question I would pose is would they be aware of the blood bond? And if so, would they want to break their love for their precious?

Comment

Working...
                          X