NPC motivations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPC motivations

I'm in the process of fleshing out a setting for a game that I'd like to run at some point in the future. I'm not under any sort of time crunch, so I've been taking my time with it. I already have a number of NPC's that are (at least I think) pretty interesting. The way I go about making NPC's is to start with a concept, then determine the basics (clan/covenant/age, etc), followed by any number of bullet points with interesting facts about the characters. I generally don't stat out NPC's until which point it becomes relevant to do so, but I do usually have a general idea of what sorts of powers they have access to.

Anyway, the part that I always seem to get stuck on is coming up with motivations/aspirations for NPC's. For example, the prince in this particular setting (Tucson), is based on a real historical figure (Hugh O'Conor). Here are my bullet points.
    • Elder. Ventrue. Invictus. RIP 1779.
    • Born in 1732 in Dublin, Ireland. Moved to Spain when he was 18 for political and religious reasons. Embarked on a military career.
    • Served in Cuba and Mexico, where he distinguished himself as a military strategist. Later appointed Captain of the Northern Territory. Established the Presidio San Agustín del Tucsón; in essence, became the founding father of the city of Tucson.
    • Known as “The Red Captain” by the local Apache both for the color of his hair and his formidable military leadership.
    • Contracted a serious illness in 1777 and subsequently transferred to Yucatan, where he served as governor.
    • Embraced on his deathbed in 1779. Remained in Yucatan for several decades, before returning to Tucson shortly after Mexico gained its independence from Spain. Quickly established himself as the defacto Prince, and head of the Invictus power structure.

So, every city needs a prince (or some equivalent). At least in most cases. But I'm having trouble coming up with goals and motivations for this one beyond "maintain the status quo." That does tend to be the goal of the "archetypal Invictus Prince," if such a thing exists. But I feel the need to give him motivations beyond that to establish some basis for involving the characters in his machinations. I'd appreciate any input, whether specific to this character or just in general.

As you indicated, Tuscon is his city and right from the beginning. I can easily see one of his motivation being the growth and development of his city. Hell! Maybe there are a few of of his descendants here (with or without positions of authority), how does he want his legacy to last?

Maybe the preservation of green spaces or Apache sites (honor they worthy does and what not).

Project consolidation:
    Rough Draft: Dhole Shifters, Ottawa By Night, Tribebook Bunyip, Garou Variant
    In redaction: Lasombra Bloodline

Comment

Originally posted by Boneguard View Post
      As you indicated, Tuscon is his city and right from the beginning. I can easily see one of his motivation being the growth and development of his city. Hell! Maybe there are a few of of his descendants here (with or without positions of authority), how does he want his legacy to last?

Maybe the preservation of green spaces or Apache sites (honor they worthy does and what not).
      Hmm yeah I can definitely see him taking a sort of ownership of the city as it is part of his legacy. I mean, there is actually a statue of him in Tucson. I'm not sure he would give two sh*ts about the Apaches, though, as they were the enemy during his breathing days.

Comment

One thing I'd wonder about is the size of Tuscon. Looking over the census figures, the city was pretty small until the mid-Twentieth Century, and in the 19th century it was tiny.

You said that he took over the Invictus power structure, but with a population of 400 in 1850, he could very well have been the only kindred for over a century.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          One thing I'd wonder about is the size of Tuscon. Looking over the census figures, the city was pretty small until the mid-Twentieth Century, and in the 19th century it was tiny.

You said that he took over the Invictus power structure, but with a population of 400 in 1850, he could very well have been the only kindred for over a century.
          Thats a fair point, but its an issue thats easily fixable by moving dates around (in terms of when he returned to Tucson), or simply hand-waiving it and stating that, in the CofD, Tucson grew to be a much larger city much sooner (perhaps, in part, due to Hugo's influence). I'll likely use the former option, probably having him return around the turn of the century.
          Last edited by Matty1Love; 07-11-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matty1Love View Post
            Thats a fair point, but its an issue thats easily fixable by moving dates around (in terms of when he returned to Tucson), or simply hand-waiving it and stating that, in the CofD, Tucson grew to be a much larger city much sooner (perhaps, in part, due to Hugo's influence). I'll likely use the former option, probably having him return around the turn of the century.
            I didn't mean to imply it was a bad thing, it would fit with him having a strong sense of personal ownership over Tuscon. It's not just the city he founded, it's been his territory for a century before any other kindred turned up. He didn't take the territory from anyone (not as a Kindred at least).

Also, it potentially makes him a lot scarier. I mean, lord knows what he's been up to on his own for a century. (Even if it's actually nothing, I could see local Kindred speculating).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I didn't mean to imply it was a bad thing, it would fit with him having a strong sense of personal ownership over Tuscon. It's not just the city he founded, it's been his territory for a century before any other kindred turned up. He didn't take the territory from anyone (not as a Kindred at least).

Also, it potentially makes him a lot scarier. I mean, lord knows what he's been up to on his own for a century. (Even if it's actually nothing, I could see local Kindred speculating).
              Indeed, if he was the sole vampire in town for do long, I could see him having a strong sense of ownership, expecting other vampire to show him proper respect and be strongly motivated in keeping the "indesirables" (whomever that may be) out of his town.

Project consolidation:
              Rough Draft: Dhole Shifters, Ottawa By Night, Tribebook Bunyip, Garou Variant
              In redaction: Lasombra Bloodline

Comment

Working...
              X