Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to get for the Christmas in July sale?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to get for the Christmas in July sale?

The Christmas in July sale has started over at dtrpg, and I'm curious about what 1e Requiem books are worth picking up? I have damnation city and requiem for rome (as well as all of the 2E books). Which clan books are the best? Are any of the bloodline books or night horror books or even covenant books any good in the context of 2e?

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
    Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
    Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

If you can swing it, grab all the clanbooks. I'm quite fond of the Night Horrors books as well, particularly Wicked Dead.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
      If you can swing it, grab all the clanbooks. I'm quite fond of the Night Horrors books as well, particularly Wicked Dead.
      Thanks! Are any of the covenant books worth reading? I seem to remember hearing good things about Circle of the Crone.

Comment

Originally posted by Octavo View Post

Thanks! Are any of the covenant books worth reading? I seem to remember hearing good things about Circle of the Crone.
        They're all pretty solid, though I think Lancea Sanctum is the the odd man out. It was the very first, so it hadn't got over the growing pains yet.

I think Carthians is probably the best in terms of what these monsters do every night.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
        Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

They're all pretty solid, though I think Lancea Sanctum is the the odd man out. It was the very first, so it hadn't got over the growing pains yet.

I think Carthians is probably the best in terms of what these monsters do every night.
          Neat, thanks. At least with the LeS, the Testament of Longinus is quite excellent.

Comment

Worth noting that this isn't a common opinion. From all the many polls and threads I've seen on this over the year, this tends to be the consensus ranking of the Covenant books:

1) Ordo Dracul
            2) Crones/Invictus
            3) Lancea et Sanctum
            4) Carthians

There is individual preferences in this, but I haven't seen differences between communities overall. Sometimes the LeS and Crones books swap places, but the rest are pretty set. The Carthian one is often considered to have squandered its potential and gets the most criticism of all. It's considered to say "whatevr you want to do, really!" too often.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I ended up picking up all the clan books and A Hunger Like Fire. I might get the covenant books and the night horrors books next time they go on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Unahim View Post

Worth noting that this isn't a common opinion. From all the many polls and threads I've seen on this over the year, this tends to be the consensus ranking of the Covenant books:

1) Ordo Dracul
                2) Crones/Invictus
                3) Lancea et Sanctum
                4) Carthians

There is individual preferences in this, but I haven't seen differences between communities overall. Sometimes the LeS and Crones books swap places, but the rest are pretty set. The Carthian one is often considered to have squandered its potential and gets the most criticism of all. It's considered to say "whatevr you want to do, really!" too often.
                To clarify, I don't think Carthians is best overall, I just think it has some of the best practical utility. "Unlife in the Carthian Movement" is brimming with practical, interesting hooks for Carthian characters. It was useful to me, at least. Ordo Dracul is probably (in my opinion) the "best". I don't even think Lancea Sanctum is bad, I just think it's a bit dry and tonally off. Again, my opinion.

But hey, I'll concede to the mob.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

To clarify, I don't think Carthians is best overall, I just think it has some of the best practical utility. "Unlife in the Carthian Movement" is brimming with practical, interesting hooks for Carthian characters. It was useful to me, at least. Ordo Dracul is probably (in my opinion) the "best". I don't even think Lancea Sanctum is bad, I just think it's a bit dry and tonally off. Again, my opinion.

But hey, I'll concede to the mob.
                  Personally I like Invictus the best so far, but I haven't read Dracul completely yet.

Comment

Requiem Chronicler's Guide is a book I find myself going back to again and again so I have to call that a recommendation. Coteries is a book I never see recommend but I think it's worth having. Damnation City is always mentoned on these threads for good reasons. The Clan books are great as others have said.

Comment

Working...
                    X