Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Requiem for Rome and Academic Research - Volunteers Needed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requiem for Rome and Academic Research - Volunteers Needed!

Hello everyone!

Please allow me a moment of your time, as I present myself, talk about my research and how some of you might help me a lot.

My name is Nelson Bondioli, I have a Phd in History (Ancient History), most of my research up to now was on Roman Religion and Roman Identity. .
    In August, however, I'll be starting a postdoc with a new research topic which is the Reception of the Roman Past in "Recent" Pop Culture. Being a RPG player myself, one of the "materials" I'll be using in my research is, as you might`ve guessed, Requiem for Rome.

What does it means?

Basically, over the course of the next 18 months, I'll be reading the source book, looking for how different elements of the Roman Past (ancient authors, characters, topics, tropes, etc) have been thought, rearrenged and re-presented at this specific place in time (21st. century), creating a narrative about the past that, in many ways, informs a lot of people about it, sometimes even competing with academic knowledge.

Part of my attention will be on how these narratives (academic and non-academic) have varying degrees of proximity and distance, why certain narratives and views about the Roman
    past are privileged over others in pop culture, and what role does historiography play in determining such narratives.

Take note, however, that this is a completely non-judgemental approach. Meaning that, I am not interested - at all - in ideas of right and wrong, factual or fiction events etc, but I'm rather interested on the"why"; why certain things appear the way they do and not in some other fashion.

How can you help?

By playing (or just reading) and giving me some feedback. All in the name of Science. You get to tell parents, spouses. s.os, etc you are trying to make the world a better place. (as much as social sciences allows of course).
    I'll be creating a form with some questions over the next months, but a few general questions, specially for those who have already read/played are:

Have you learned something/anything about ancient Rome? What? (again not interested if you learned something "right" or "wrong")
    How much "historical" do you feel the setting is? (as in, if we considered to be real past (which I dont), how close to it, do you feel the book is?)
    Is there anything you feel is out of place? What & Why?

Could Onyx Path (pretty please) Help me?

If possible - and I don`t know who to contact about this, and if anyone knows, please share - I would like to know if Icould have a number / or an estimative of how many copies of the book were sold. (physical and digital).

Also it would be of immense value if I could speak with the writer(s) of the book, and I promise I'll be nice. I'm interested in what ancient sources and academic books were used for research to write the book, as well as some other questions (as in, for instance, how much ideas of historical accuracy were traded for general entertainment; and how much the idea of a "world of darkness" interfered in writing).

I thank in advance all of you who have read this and are willing to help me.
    Feel free to write back to me, both here in the topic or privately if you need anything.

I'm not likely to be running any games set in Rome but I'm willing to talk about the impressions I have picked up about it.

Comment

I "learned" that Rome has a necropolis and I really really want that to be true. (Pretty certain it doesn't harbor vampires though)

Not currently playing any Rome games but I could reread the book and give feedback if that is of any use.

Comment

Hi, I like your idea.

I'm from Rome, and a couple of years ago I run Requiem for Rome official campaign, so I try to give my feedback on what I know about my city (not as much as I'd like actually XD) as far as I remember.

Necropolis:
        As far as I know, there are several Necropolis in Rome, some of them still allowed for visit, but are not, as the setting let you to intend, an unique interconnected series of chamber and corridors through which you can reach every part of Rome. I think it has been a little bit fictionalized, but still it does its job and it's not so far from reality.

For sure its true that there were secret corridors and chamber below the streets at that time, in fact, there are currently several guided visits through these hidden passages. I've been in one of them (you need to reserve your place a loooong time before) and they are awesome, it shows you a real hidden ancient city. But are just pieces.

What else, not many other concerns, maybe it's a little bit vague and imprecise the matter about Crispus disappearance. At the moment I can't remember exactly what the book said and what the real history said but I remember that at that time I went to have a look for info related to this and I found some discrepancies.
        Not even sure about Costantino history. I'll check as soon as possible and write something more specific.

If something else comes in my mind I'll post it here.
        Last edited by Marcus; 08-02-2018, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X