Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spirits of Blood and Smoke [Brainstorming]

Just some idea that I've thought about.

We all know that the Strix has a strong connection to Cruac- while they can't cast it without using a Kindred as a vessel (as someone has to spill blood), they can instinctively develop it. On the other hand, it seems like Theban Sorcery lacks such a parallel- at least, on the surface. Lore wise, there are many references to "spiritual entities" which teach Theban Sorcery- angels. As we can safely assume that they are probably not the God Machine's angels, working them as a new type of Theban- related entity does seems to make sense. Also, while working on a Merges Sorcery conversion to 2e (which I really need to complete sometime soon), I've decided to relate the Edimmu to the said sorcery, and styling them by using the same mechanics as the Strix. That has started to made me thinking about what if one could develop an whole range of such "Embodied Entities" (as opposed to Ephemeral Entities), with each being connected to some version of Blood Sorcery, making it so that Blood Sorcery is, in fact, the product of working (embodying?) the said entities and powers into the world, which are united by their connection to vampires, their gift of blood magic and the ability to Embody themselves in the world.

So, that's what I have so far-

Cruac- the strix, as you may have guessed. However, Cruac seems to be unique by the fact that it has 3 (and perhaps, more) different Styles. If we were to tie each of the styles into a different type of Embodied Entity, the Owls would be connected to the Void Style, leaving Creation and Chaos as open to think about. I assume that Creation Cruac could be connected to some form of bloody nature gods of life and death (maybe something celtic/druidic could be appropriate), while my idea for the Chaos Cruac relates to an updated version of the Mnemevores, which treats them as inhuman spirits which drain the minds and memories of the living and the dead, spreading chaos and twist time and space in the process. The Followers of Set's version of Cruac could also be treated as a different style, but my mind is kinda blank right now about kind of being could grant such sorcery. Perhaps something with those shadow monsters from Duat?

Theban Sorcery- as mentioned above, I think that the angels of the Lancea et Sanctum would make a good candidate for that sorcery's Embodied. However, as angels is already used for the God Machine, I recommend on replacing their name to something like cherubim (as seraphim makes me think of the qashmalim, and ophanim of the God Machine's creations). While officially it has no styles, its egyptian version (which was never treated as a special discipline other than being called "the secrets of Ra and Osiris" in Ancient Bloodline) may be a different style, which may have another form of Embodied connected to it, even though I feel that a simple cultural difference shouldn't greatly influence the exact nature of a Blood Sorcery.

Veneficia- I must admit that I'm a big fan of Veneficia, and I have worked once or twice about updating it to 2e. Considering it roman nature, perhaps something in the style of Lares or Lemurs could be appropriate (I'm lean toward the former over the later, personally). Perhaps something with serpent-like imagery could also be cool (as my mind keeps going there considering the double meaning of Veneficia).

Ahranite Sorcery- while Shaddad was described to be a demon, in the CofD demon seems to be a pretty wide term. While it is very likely it is not an Unchained, there is also a good chance it isn't an infernal either. After all, even the strix are called "demons" from time to time. Could there be an whole breed of Shaddad like entities, which lurk in ruin places and forgotten cities, which lure the unsuspecting to trade their souls for dread power over death?

Gilded Cage- while limited to a Bloodline and not a Covenant, the Gilded Cage is a blood sorcery nevertheless. Considering its connection to the cities and remembering that old story hook from Mythologies, perhaps the Urbiphage could make a good candidate for such Embodied? We should probably change the name. I don't know- theidea itself is cool, but its name is kinda awkward, don't you think?

Lithopedia- another bloodline discipline, Lithopedia to Gilded Cage is what Cruac is to Theban Sorcery- a much wilder, more primal sorcery which is connected to territory and the earth. Considering its Hungarian origin, perhaps something like the Liderc or Fene would be appropriate. We could also turn to slavic mythology instead, I think.

Merges Sorcery- as I mentioned above, I have already worked the Edimmu to connect to Merges Sorcery, something I think makes a lot of sense, considering their origin and connection to the Coven of Nanaja.

Vodoun- yet another easy one. The discipline itself seems talks about the Loa as the powers behind the sorcery. If we wish to make it more general (as the Loa are the gods/saints of an actual religion, and I'm not sure that actually fighting and killing on of its gods would be appropriate), I think that calling the Embodied of that sorcery as the Mysteres or Invisibles would be a better option.

Kigan- the sorcery of the Ume House is, officially, "just" another variant of Cruac. Unofficially, we good a really good writeup which connects it to the spirit world and the Shadow. While it was said that Kigan was meant to work differently than the other Blood Sorceries by invoking the spirits instead of the powers of Vitae, I still think that we could work something out without using spirits directly. What if there exists a certain type of "spiritual vampires" which know both the secrets of the Shadow and the Blood? Perhaps we could call them Kamaitachi, as those yokai do have the tendency to drink the blood of their victims.

So- what are your thoughts/suggestions about the subject?

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Where do Lithopedia and Kigan come from?

My first thought is twofold. Either don't worry too much about connecting some of these entities to existing otherworlds - a collection of distinct vampire-specific spirits could get kinda clumsy. Or connect them to one another - maybe they're all (or mostly) from the same realm as the strix - and what that realm hungers for can be gotten in more ways than the strix's vitae hunger.
    Last edited by SunlessNick; 08-11-2018, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
      Where do Lithopedia and Kigan come from?
      Lithopedia is found in Immortal Sinners (the other Night Horrors book for Requiem). Kigan shows up at the core 2e book as Cruac by any other name out of space limitation, and was then developed to have its own identity in here

My first thought is twofold. Either don't worry too much about connecting some of these entities to existing otherworlds - a collection of distinct vampire-specific spirits could get kinda clumsy. Or connect them to one another - maybe they're all (or mostly) from the same realm as the strix - and what that realm hungers for can be gotten in more ways than the strix's vitae hunger.
      My thoughts are more or less the same. The Edimmu, for example, come from the same lightless dimension as the Strix- but some of the other Embodied seems like they should come from other realms of existence. As vampirism in general is more of a general term for unrelated monsters, and the Ephemeral are just a general term for beings with the powers of Manifestation, I think that the Embodied should be the same- a general category for beings described by having a [Vitae carrier] Potency trait and Embodiments. So some are related to each other (strix, edimmu, maybe the mysteres), and some are widely different (cherubim, lares, mnemevores). At least, that's what I have in mind.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
      X