Alternate forms of Blood sorcery ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate forms of Blood sorcery ideas

I'm planning to create a version of Veneficia practiced in the modern day in my game. Owing to its more structured / civilized nature, the humanity limiting penalty associated with Cruac doesn't seem appropriate. I am trying to come up with a new limitation to associate with this art without duplicating the willpower / prop requirements of Theban sorcery. Has anyone done any work in this direction that could give me some ideas?

Have you considered limiting dots with craft and/or expression and require users to incorporate blood into whatever art they create? ie: add a bit of blood or vitae into your paints or clay or whatever. Shrug. I'm not a blood magic expert. Just a suggestion.

Comment

You can take a look at my versions for updated Veneficia, either in the Blood Sorcery format, or the 2e format. Hope it will help!

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

You could limit the number of potential rituals. That's more or less what the problem with it is. The Veneficia are a list of prescribed rituals, there no real place for experimentation or growth.

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
          You can take a look at my versions for updated Veneficia, either in the Blood Sorcery format, or the 2e format. Hope it will help!
          Thank you. I must have misspelled Veneficia when I searched the forum for other topics about it.

Limiting the practitioner to Humanity 5 in order to have anything but the most rudimentary skill at first seemed to contradict what I wanted, but upon reflection it means that elders who want to practice the art with any real ability have to maintain a level of humanity higher than most ancilla, let alone other elders (according to the core humanity description), so this may work for me, at least as a starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            You could limit the number of potential rituals. That's more or less what the problem with it is. The Veneficia are a list of prescribed rituals, there no real place for experimentation or growth.
            Your suggestion makes sense based on the description of Veneficia, but I always felt that the blood sorcery options were not even worth the cost until the option to cast more spontaneous spells without knowing a specific ritual for them was written into Sacraments and Blasphemies book. Reducing the number of rituals the character can learn without removing the ability to cast more spontaneous magic is not a sufficient limit, while restricting the number of rituals and removing the spontaneous option would make the ability too weak IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Newes View Post
              Your suggestion makes sense based on the description of Veneficia, but I always felt that the blood sorcery options were not even worth the cost until the option to cast more spontaneous spells without knowing a specific ritual for them was written into Sacraments and Blasphemies book. Reducing the number of rituals the character can learn without removing the ability to cast more spontaneous magic is not a sufficient limit, while restricting the number of rituals and removing the spontaneous option would make the ability too weak IMO.
              You could limit spontaneous spells to just those written examples. That leaves you a lot of options, but still constrains it somewhat.

It might also be worth laying out precisely what you want from this as a setting element. I mean, within Requiem for Rome, the Veneficia fulfill a quite specific role; like, it's not as good as Cruac, that's kinda the point. However, that sounds like it's not what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

You could limit spontaneous spells to just those written examples. That leaves you a lot of options, but still constrains it somewhat.

It might also be worth laying out precisely what you want from this as a setting element. I mean, within Requiem for Rome, the Veneficia fulfill a quite specific role; like, it's not as good as Cruac, that's kinda the point. However, that sounds like it's not what you're looking for.
                I recently reread the Kigan description from the core book (which was described as non-compatible but somehow the same as Cruac), and the description of Veneficia in B&S. I decided I wanted to use the B&S rules to create some other blood sorcery options that would have a different feel to the overly hermetic Theban sorcery or the debasing Cruac. These would still mostly be used by groups in the Circle. While the acolytes are clearly described as being very diverse, since they were formed from so many different out groups that just didn't want to be forced to join the Lance, mechanically (at least as pertains to blood sorcery) they were too monolithic to me. I am trying to make the Circle in my sphere more clearly a group of allied smaller covenants rather than one large covenant (even if that is effectively what it is on a political level). I just read another discussion on this forum that linked to a fan made fleshing out of Kigan, and I may just go with that, and Lost lights version of Venficia and call it a day. These things are always easier said than done.

As an aside, where is Venefica described as inferior to Cruac? I know it was supposed to have fused / helped form into modern Cruac, but can't find any word that it was inferior.

Comment

Other potential blood sorcery (not necessarily related to Veneficia):
                  Blood Alchemy - mixing the blood of different subjects (for the metaphysical components) inside the vampire to achieve an effect. Limitation - Must effect the vampire, or one who drinks their blood.
                  Blood Marking - marking an object or territory as a vector for the Curse. May or may not use some element of Sacred Geometry. Limitation - Very location dependent. (Might manage it with various Devotions)
                  Doom Calling - Leverage the vampire's tie to the Beast and the Strictly (and their tie to Doom) for Fate Manipulation. Limitation - This isn't fast or dramatic magic. Could easily think nothing was done at all.
                  Spirit Binding - Blood Bonding Spirits (or Ghosts) to perform actions for you. Limitation - Spirits (and/or Ghosts), however eager, have their own limitations. And being too flagrant leaves invisible junkies hungry for your blood.

Mechanics:
                  Requiring Blood Bonds or Sympathy tot the target as a remote vector.
                  Torporing one's self so they can send their disembodied spirit to manipulate forces.
                  Tie the dot/level limitations to the number of Touchstones (attached optional) instead of Humanity.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                  Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Cruac is based, among other things, on the image of blood as a conduit between the earthly and divine. While common, that idea isn't universal, and in other spiritual schemas it might be considered a barrier. There's probably room for a blood sorcery with a similar naturalistic and spirit-based attitude to Cruac, but which regards blood as part of a vampire's earthly existence rather than a route to what's beyond (yes vampires are supernatural, but their supernature is very material).

Comment

Originally posted by Newes View Post
                      As an aside, where is Venefica described as inferior to Cruac? I know it was supposed to have fused / helped form into modern Cruac, but can't find any word that it was inferior.
                      Well, it's more that it's described as being rigid and calcified whilst at the same time the Augurs are described as gradually starting to practice magic that falls outside it. It's not a mechanical thing, it's a more general setting element.

Comment

Working...
                      X