Strix and Synthesis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strix and Synthesis

I'm curious, just what advantage is there to the Strix Embodiment 'Synthesis'? I mean, should the power succeed the Strix loses some of its Potency and runs the risk of destroying itself. Where's the benefit?

Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
    I'm curious, just what advantage is there to the Strix Embodiment 'Synthesis'? I mean, should the power succeed the Strix loses some of its Potency and runs the risk of destroying itself. Where's the benefit?
    The benefit is that the Strix is a vampire now or has an inhuman vampiric host or agent at their disposal. It's an Embodiment for making vampires and weirder things.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

In most cases using it is irrational.

But strix… are rarely rational.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
        The benefit is that the Strix is a vampire now or has an inhuman vampiric host or agent at their disposal. It's an Embodiment for making vampires and weirder things.
        If it succeeds and manages not to destroy itself, it's still ejected from its host body, and possibly is at such a low Potency that it now lacks the Embodiment needed to possess it again. If the goal is to improve a host body, it's certainly inefficient, to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
          If it succeeds and manages not to destroy itself
          Did the Embodiment being framed as permanent possession not tip you off that "the Strix is destroyed if it runs out of Shadow Potency" might not mean "the vampiric shadow-being is completely gone"?

If the goal is to improve a host body, it's certainly inefficient, to say the least.
          What, if anything, gave you the impression that this was about efficiency?

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

It's a way for strix to become more physical monsters and become things like the Unholy or get werewolf-vampires or shadowy mage abominations. If you know werewolf, it's sort of like being claimed, where the ST can whip up a monster that fits thematically without being limited by traditional strix (or human or vampire or whatever) powers.

Like the book says, 'Where things get really strange is if the Strix then attempts to use Synthesis on a supernatural host. Unique monsters and aberrant powers result.'
            Last edited by nofather; 08-21-2018, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
              Like the book says, 'Where things get really strange is if the Strix then attempts to use Synthesis on a supernatural host. Unique monsters and aberrant powers result.'
              Mmmmmmm. Aberrant powers....

[Runs off to party like it's 1999!]

Seriously, if you're a player dealing with something really strange the ST is throwing at you, you have better things to do with your time than complain about how it came about... maybe investigate?

And if you're the ST, you have all the license needed to cackle madly while statting out your monster. And this is without considering Embodiement

Cheers,
              --Khanwulf

Comment

I don't think synthesis is a good or strong power either. I think its purpose is more for the sheer horror factor. what its mechanics say is one thing. How it affects the story is *another* matter.

Yeah it makes the strix weaker for the long haul but, if the strix doesn't care, the possession is permanent. To the Kindred this must be *terrifying*

Comment

One of the players in the game I'm in is a vampire created by Strix Synthesis. She isn't wholly aware she's a Strix yet.

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
                  Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
                  Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

The fluff of Synthesis is not that the Strix is being destroyed, it's that they're merging part or all of themselves with the host. It's still them, in a way (reflected by the Humanity hits and similar). Mechanically it's terrible, but in game they're not destroying themselves, they're fully becoming part of the host, taking on a new form.

Storyteller's Vault Writer
                    WoD: Sorcerer's Companion (M:tA)
                    CofD: Second Sight: Third Eye (CofD), Crossing the Veil 2e (Co-developer, CofD), Borrowed Power (CofD)

Comment

As an aside, have you people explored in your games the use of critters beside the Strix as vampiric inceptors? Once tinkered with that "themes & symbolism" box in their chapter from Wicked Dead by playing with black cats, wicked blood-drinking but all too human-seeming witches, broken mirrors wise in strange ill-starred lore and reflections among some other obscure forces to watch over certain kindred lines in my games.

The cats i would later give a major background upgrade by blending with the Kanaima from Skinchangers, whose themes of justice, vengeance and watching over the dead helped to make them quite different from the Strix in major and interesting ways. The "witches" i did as a blend of Wicked Dead's Cihuateteo with the Sons of Phobos from Blood Sorcery, with some connections to "the cats" for (PC) background & story convenience reasons.

Also, the sparrow spirits as presented in Shadows of the UK (pgs. 15, 20 & 25) could make great expies (or rivals) for the Strix in chronicles set in the Isles.
                      Last edited by Baaldam; 10-13-2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X