Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite bloodlines and why

For me, it would have to be the carnival, players, and macellarius

For the first, it's because at first I thought it was ridiculous they were a daeva clan (I was ignorant of the fact not everything should adhere to a set standard at the time) but when I read about them, it all made sense! They performed to small, personal crowds and, unlike the nosferatu, were meant to be the center of the show, winning the crowd through their freakish nature, not scare them into wanting to run. Lastly, i really like the road trip feel you can give them, and the little society they have within it

For the players, i simply loved how there were a bloodline of losers. That may sound weird, but the fact there is a bloodline tied to the HIGHLY romanticized view young people have of vampires is great to deconstructed in such a way as to make fun of it (looking at you, twilight). But also, i like how you can still play them tragically (or even, perhaps more fittingly, with angst) having to learn that being a vampire sucks, that they miss their old lives as regular humans merely fantasizing about fame and fortune, not groveling for taste of human blood. Lastly, I like that they are essentially the underdogs, and had a blast playing with one who managed to not only reached a high place in the invictus (with our help) but did so by threatening to unleash the "secret weapon" of the players (my friend who played as him managed learn about their reputation)

Lastly the gentlemen and women, the macellarius. Great lore, and a new kind of horror. Sure we've seen the gentlemanly hedonist (or just inbred hillbilly family) but never have we (or just me, perhaps) seen vampires that are simply obese, cannibalistic to much more than blood, yet so courteous as to be frightening, a gruesome showing of the dark, corrupt, twisted reflection of "life" vampires have to humans

I agree with you about the Macellarius, but that's about it really.

Honestly, I don't like the traditional way Bloodlines are done. It seems like more of a holdover from how Masq did things, and I think that contributed to the bloat in Masq.

As far as types of Vampires, I prefer to keep the game focused on the 5 archetypal clans. When it comes to some of the cool powers available to Bloodlines, I think more often they work better as new Covenants with their power as Covenant perks, or integrate them into existing Covenants and powers, like the Gethsemani and LeS integrated into Theban, or the Architects of the Monolith could be integrated into the Ordo Dracul.

When I do like to use bloodlines, I prefer to use local bloodlines that are more like family broods of sires and childer, only using the 10 standard disciplnes to mix things up and add flavor.

*edit* I also really like the Bohagande. The lore and the luck powers are very cool, but yeah, even them, cooler as a Covenant for me, maybe one that passes on the luck curse to other vamps they encounter.
    Last edited by nicodemus; 08-22-2018, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Well, I like to play unconventional types of characters when I see an opportunity to do so. So my favorite bloodlines include a list of some of the more difficult or rare bloodlines you're likely to come across.

I like the Cockscomb Society, a bloodline of Nosferatu who don't allow their deformity to stop them from living the high life. I think they make a compelling argument for your appearance and behavior don't matter, as long as you're rich as hell!

I also like the Niktuku, due to the concept of the hunter becoming the hunted. They can be very effective as both a plot hook, as well as an important NPC. Make a Niktuku your Sheriff and watch as the Prince rules the city with an iron fist.

The Carnon of the Gangrel are also cool with their 'Horned God' motif. I've always been a little fascinated with the figure, even if I'm not as knowledgeable about them as I'd like to be. Plus there's some really good potential for a Circle of the Crone focused story hook, or even chronicle when it comes to these guys.

Lastly, I think I also enjoy the Gorgons and their snake fetish powers. Plus the fact that they are Ventrue makes them immediately stand out to me, as I typically don't associate the clan of royalty with a hideous monster like Medusa.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
        Well, I like to play unconventional types of characters when I see an opportunity to do so. So my favorite bloodlines include a list of some of the more difficult or rare bloodlines you're likely to come across.

The Carnon of the Gangrel are also cool with their 'Horned God' motif. I've always been a little fascinated with the figure, even if I'm not as knowledgeable about them as I'd like to be. Plus there's some really good potential for a Circle of the Crone focused story hook, or even chronicle when it comes to these
        I really hope these guys get more lore, i was surprised they weren't in bloodlines the legendary.

As for the cockscomb society, i love the full out defiance they have to the clan curse, they may be nightmare incarnate, but they won't let that keep them from fanciful living. However, i think the bloodline curse is a bit much, but they ARE negating their clan curse

Comment

Icarians, they make greats Self assured Villains

(I have a hard time rooting for the Chapel and the spear im afraid)

The Galloi As a reminder that beauty is only skin deep

The Yagnata the vibe just appealed to me.

I also like the Gorgons As Royalty basicly within the circle.

Comment

I'm overly fond of Mekhet and Nosferatu bloodlines.

For Mekhet (aka the best clan don't @ me), the Morbus and the Alucinor both touch on interesting aspects of the Shadow archetype. Also pretty much any of the bloodlines from Shadows in the Dark. And of course, fan favourite the Khaibit.

Despite not being a clan I've ever played, Nosferatu have a great lineup. The Morotrophians, the Baddacelli, the Galloi, the Noctuku...so many grave blooms to choose from, even from a small garden. The Nosferatu were a bit neglected for bloodlines, but they always had some of the coolest.

For Ventrue, Rötgrafen are always fun. I like the ones where the line between the Lords and the Gangrel blur.

For Daeva, the Tianpan Xiao and the Zelani. I like the former for being a creepy twist on the Daeva obsession with humanity, and the latter for being a real "What the fuck?" problem.

For Gangrel, the Annunaku are a cool against-stereotype type of bloodline, while still definitely fulfilling the stereotype. I'm also a fan of area effect powers. Oh, and the Oberlochs -- see above on blurring lines between Ventrue and Gangrel.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
            Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

The relationship between gangrel and ventrue has always been interesting to me, and I do like the bloodlines that make use of their relations

Also, the Bron's curse. While it would probably need plenty of storyteller changes, possible divine fire interacting with the stasis of the undead?

nicodemus I can see why you see it that way. In terms of viewing them in a more negative and positive light, my groups storyteller personally sees them as either being cartoonish, splintering the clans into too many sub groups, or just as simply stupid. That last one comes from the players, but that opinion has changed somewhat when we started an episodic chronicle composed of just players, and was semi serious satire for mood, and an ironic self awareness for tone
              Last edited by Primordial newcomer; 08-22-2018, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Just wondering, will there be another book akin to the bloodlines the legendary?

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                  Just wondering, will there be another book akin to the bloodlines the legendary?
                  The current "bloodlines book" in the pipeline is Spilled Blood, the next Night Horrors for Vampire, but it also includes lost clans and other [REDACTED]. I don't know if any exclusively bloodlines-focused books are in the cards for the future, but I know an update of the Bron is forthcoming in Dark Eras 2 The Revenge

On a related note, I'm planning on posting a few 1e Bloodlines updates in the near future, some of them from Legendary.

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

Comment

Oh ok thanks! Also damn, Requiem will have 3 night horrors books

Also Yossarian, the galloi discipline can be used on themselves right, or can it only be used on another vampire/mortal
                    Last edited by Primordial newcomer; 08-31-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Spilled Blood is not a Night Horrors book.

If I've understood correctly the current philosophy at OPP is that they won't release pure Y-splat books. They will instead be introduced in other supplements, like Morbus in Dark Eras Companion and some bloodlines in Spilled Blood that we'll hopefully see in about a year.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Oh ok, i misunderstood the spilled blood book.

Aren't Y-splats things such as covenants? I've heard bloodlines and lodges be called Z-splats, but that could just be to differentiate themselves by fans

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                          Spilled Blood is not a Night Horrors book.
                          As far as I know, it is indeed a Night Horrors book, having worked on it for the past few months. That’s what’s on my outline, at least. This wasn’t a secret or anything; it was referred to as such in the most recent Reddit AMA (and a few other places, I believe). I don’t think it’s been explicitly called that on the blog, though, so it could be the title was changed somewhere along the line.
                          Last edited by Yossarian; 09-01-2018, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Really? That half of the title of the book is just missing from the Current Projects page and the MMNs, unlike Shunned, Tormented and Nameless.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                              Really? That half of the title of the book is just missing from the Current Projects page and the MMNs, unlike Shunned, Tormented and Nameless.
                              Really!

Like I said, it may be something changed along the line. It’ll certainly read like a Night Horrors book, regardless of branding.

Comment

Working...
                              X