My first vampire game.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first vampire game.

So I’ll be running my first vampire game; I have expirence with mage, demon, and first. I’m reading the book a 2nd time before I actually start and there are a few things I’d like to reach out to you all about in regards to systems and what have you.

First. Venture clan weakness, it seems just a bit out of synch with the rest of the weakness unless I’m reading into it wrong. I was considering also preventing the venture from having places as touchstones. Has anyone else found a the bane to be lacking and found a suitable alternative that still fits within the theme?

Second. Touchstones and humanity; would it break the setting to only allow touchstones to add to a breaking point roll if the vampire has interacted with their touchstone that chapter? Your main touchstone adds a +2 interacting with any amount of your secondary touchstones would only add a +1.

Third. The invictus and the Carthian movement seem to get the short end with their merits over the blood magic of the other three covenants. More so the carthian I feel. Is there a resource with more merits for them? So far the only other vampire book I’m getting on the one on half vampires? I just ordered it so it hasn’t come yet

Thank you all.

Originally posted by MrOwl View Post
    First. Venture clan weakness, it seems just a bit out of synch with the rest of the weakness unless I’m reading into it wrong. I was considering also preventing the venture from having places as touchstones. Has anyone else found a the bane to be lacking and found a suitable alternative that still fits within the theme?
    The point of the Aloof Curse is that it brings the two means of dealing with detachment to the fore — until and unless you seek out additional things to keep you in the world, your primary options are to play it safe or rapidly desensitize yourself.

Preventing the Ventrue from having nonliving Touchstones outright, meanwhile, is flatly a bad idea for their themes — Touchstones aren't exempt from the social penalties from lower Humanity and developing Touchstones that aren't subject to social penalties is a way of working around that that lends itself to the clan's distance from humanity. (Contrast this with the Nosferatu's Lonely Curse, where Touchstones are specifically exempt from the reduced effective Humanity.)

Second. Touchstones and humanity; would it break the setting to only allow touchstones to add to a breaking point roll if the vampire has interacted with their touchstone that chapter? Your main touchstone adds a +2 interacting with any amount of your secondary touchstones would only add a +1.
    It would defeat much of the point of their offering a bonus to detachment rolls and there are already multiple other incentives to interact with your Touchstones.

Third. The invictus and the Carthian movement seem to get the short end with their merits over the blood magic of the other three covenants. More so the carthian I feel. Is there a resource with more merits for them? So far the only other vampire book I’m getting on the one on half vampires? I just ordered it so it hasn’t come yet
    Secrets of the Covenants has a bunch of stuff for all five of the main groups.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

That’s a good point I didn’t think of it that way.

Maybe I am misremembering. Or I didn’t retain it. The only thing that comes to mind for touchstones is humanity. Could you abridge the other benefits or point me to a page there abouts I can refence? There’s a lot of systems in vtr and I’m clearly not getting them all as well memorized as I’d like.

Of course. The book I didn’t buy. I had read somewhere in a review it didn’t have mechanics so I didn’t think it would benefit my players.

Comment

Could you abridge the other benefits or point me to a page there abouts I can refence? There’s a lot of systems in vtr and I’m clearly not getting them all as well memorized as I’d like.
        It's mostly to do with frenzy: your Touchstones can talk you down from frenzy with an extended action, and the Tempted and Jaded Conditions can both be resolved by having meaningful interactions with your Touchstones. Also, you get Willpower when you defend your relationship with a Touchstone as additional Anchors separate from your Mask and Dirge.

Of course. The book I didn’t buy. I had read somewhere in a review it didn’t have mechanics so I didn’t think it would benefit my players.
        The mechanics are all in the Appendix after the fiction chapters; it's still a substantial amount of content.

Comment

Oh yeah. The talking down from frenzy. Now I remember. I haven’t reread conditions yet which is probably whiy that didn’t occur to me.

Okay. I will buy secrets iof the covenant as well.

I appreciate your assistance.

One more so far. Do vampires take bashing from bullets like they did in vtm? I read that they don’t take aggravated from things that cause aggravated to mortals. But didn’t see one on bullets.

Comment

One more so far. Do vampires take bashing from bullets like they did in vtm? I read that they don’t take aggravated from things that cause aggravated to mortals. But didn’t see one on bullets.
            Vamps downgrade all lethal to bashing. All weapons deal lethal (bullets, swords, etc.).

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

It's in the "Injury and Healing" section on page 181 — Kindred take bashing damage from all mundane weapons.

Comment

That’s after disciplines isn’t it? Wow so that’s way after the mention of aggravated damage and the vitae cost to heal.
                Thanks a lot you guys. I appreciate it.

Comment

Wait. Let me see if I get this straight. Just tell me if I’m off base here. And if so why.

Let’s say ventrue. Touchstone is at humanity 7. Has the merit to give him a touchstone at humanity 5.

Ventrue drops to humanity 6. Is this this venture considered detached until he either A increases back to 7 or B decreases to 5?
                  I’m sorry I’m having trouble fully grasping these touchstones.

Comment

Ventrue drops to humanity 6. Is this this venture considered detached until he either A increases back to 7 or B decreases to 5?
                    The explanation of the bane on page 103 specifies that extra Touchstones for Ventrue fill the sixth through second dots rather than the fifth through first dots.

Comment

That rings a bell.
                      Okay then. If the ventrue gets the merit. The next touchstone will provide a +2 like the one it has at 7 humanity? Basically it just cuts the ventrue off from getting willpower from that person or place or having the person be able to talk them down. Or does it do anything else that I’m not realizing?

Comment

That rings a bell.
                        Okay then. If the ventrue gets the merit. The next touchstone will provide a +2 like the one it has at 7 humanity?
                        If you have one attached Touchstone then you get the +2 bonus for having one attached Touchstone, yes.

Basically it just cuts the ventrue off from getting willpower from that person or place or having the person be able to talk them down. Or does it do anything else that I’m not realizing?
                        The only thing having a Touchstone detached takes away from you is its contribution to your number of attached Touchstones for the purposes of detachment rolls.
                        Last edited by Satchel; 08-28-2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X