Kindred Clans lands of origin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kindred Clans lands of origin

As I try to run games 'historically accurate', in (early) Dark Eras setting I try to use local vampires population based on original Clan of area. As Kindred are rather different monster species that later intertwined, some area starts with particular Clan as almost all vampire population. I have pointed part of them, but still needs Requiem fans to help me.

List of lands of origin of Clans:
    • Akhud - Mesopotamia? First Cities seems to point to that
    • Daeva - Ancient Persia
    • Julii - Ancient Rome
    • Gangrel - Germanic tribes, most probably the Norse
    • Mekhet - Ancient Egypt
    • Mikhaili - Siberia
    • Nosferatu - Here I'm totally blank - are they European in origins?
    • Pijavica - Slavic lands
    • Venture - (Probably) Rome after the Fall of Camarilla or Kingdoms of Franks
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-18-2018, 01:30 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games
    Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
    Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
    Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
    My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

There's the Mikhaili clan from Siberia in Half-Damned.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

The Mekhet come from non-human progenitors, the Nosferatu come from underground. Earliest Daeva stuff is from Sumeria.

Comment

I think it's most likely the Akhud are from the Holy Land, while the Daeva are from Mesopotamia.
        I personally like to say that the Mekhet are originally from a little further south than Egypt, but Egypt is where they sort of came into their own.
        My preferred origin of the Nosferatu is that they originally came from non-human stock very deep underground, with the various surface lineages being founded by exiles, but that's just me. Others might find that a bit 'out there'.
        I like to think the Ventrue are at least partially right about their Trojan origins, which would originally place them in Turkey, but things are confusing with them.
        Last edited by Kleptomania; 09-18-2018, 02:07 AM.

Raksi plays Peek-a-boo for keeps. ~ nalak42

Comment

I'm like 90% sure the Nosferatu came from worms.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
          Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

The Nosferatu Clanbook implies they popped up a lot of places, within common subterranean creators, but not common kindred ancestry. So wherever you have one dominant Clan in the Ancient World, the Nosferatu can also be there as a Kindred underclass.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Related question - What would be original vampire Clan of Celtic lands - like Ireland or Scotland? At least from 8th century we can surely can have Gangrels, as they traveled with Vikings on their raids. But would there be there vampires before them? Maybe Nosferatu then, if any?

LGBT+ in CoD games
              Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
              Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
              Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
              My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

Among the Picts in Scotland and Celts in Hibernia? Since Picts were a confederaton of tribes that formed before the vikings arrived and they also engaged in piracy and limited trade or raiding in Ireland, Scotland, England, and France, I would probably say variants of Gangrel and Ventrue with scatterings of Nosferatu were native. The others would have come long after Catholicism arrived.

Comment

In Requiem from Rome the Gangrel came to Rome following Iulius Caesar armies coming back from Galia.

LAND OF THE DAMNED: SPAIN (Spanish): Land of the Damned: Spain, Kingdoms of Blood: Spain; Cities of the Damned: Barcelona, Valencia, Carthian Constitution (1812), Three Arrows Pact:

OTHERS (Spanish): Demon: The Redemption, Bloodlines: The Forgotten

Comment

I think that the major extant clans are implied to have multiple origins, although the Nosferatu have more documented origins. The Grettir once existed in Scandinavia, whether or not the came from there, and their remaining descendents, the Norvegi, are at least mechanically Mekhet. Meanwhile Jiang Shi (who remind me of Mekhet) exist in pockets around the world, including Eastern China and Korea, somewhere in the Mediteranean, Iceland and the Triangle in North Carolina.

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                    Related question - What would be original vampire Clan of Celtic lands - like Ireland or Scotland? At least from 8th century we can surely can have Gangrels, as they traveled with Vikings on their raids. But would there be there vampires before them? Maybe Nosferatu then, if any?
                    Requiem for Rome says that most, if not all vampires of the time in Scotland and Ireland were Gangrel or Nosferatu. But then Requiem for Rome doesn't mention any Ventrue presence anywhere, so there might be overlooked minorities. Southern Britain might well have had different clans to Scotland and Ireland before the Romans came. The Bron, a Ventrue bloodline, believe that they've been in Britain either since within a lifetime after the death of Christ or longer ago than that. I think that Dark Eras 2 is going to confirm that they were in Britain when it fell out of Roman control.

Comment

Originally posted by Kleptomania View Post
                      I think it's most likely the Akhud are from the Holy Land, while the Daeva are from Mesopotamia.
                      I personally like to say that the Mekhet are originally from a little further south than Egypt, but Egypt is where they sort of came into their own.
                      My preferred origin of the Nosferatu is that they originally came from non-human stock very deep underground, with the various surface lineages being founded by exiles, but that's just me. Others might find that a bit 'out there'.
                      I like to think the Ventrue are at least partially right about their Trojan origins, which would originally place them in Turkey, but things are confusing with them.
                      Originally posted by nofather View Post
                      The Mekhet come from non-human progenitors, the Nosferatu come from underground. Earliest Daeva stuff is from Sumeria.

Oh yeah that reminds me. Along with the Mekhet and Nosferatu, technically the Ventrue also originate from non-human progenitors or that’s how they believe it to be, since they think they come from the Trojan Lares or Household Gods, which from the sound of how they were described to be more like wierd Spirits or Ghosts or something along those lines, anyway though they were definitely supernatural. Well you look down to it a lot of the clans have wierd alien progenitors, in one way or another

Comment

Honestly, there's a bunch of stuff in the clanbooks and other sources implying that the "clans" are morasses of kindred populations of the same basic archetype/strain of vampirism independently spawned and respawned through the ages on different locations of the world. Are the Rakshasa truly a Nosferatu bloodline or a clan its originated from an undead monk messing with Larvae in the Indian subcontinent or Sri Lanka? Do the Grettir ancestors of the Norvegi relate to the Shadows or are they about as Mekhet as the Akhud (or the Julii are Ventrue, make of that what you will)?

How do the Jiangshi turning into kindred clan from 2e fit into such equation? Have Wicked Dead done so in the past (Nitocris tells a tale about Hollows that seems to imply so), or could it be the contrary, monsters like Formosae, Ghuls, Cihuateteo, Aswang, Penangalan and others being remnants of clans fallen and forgotten into the mists of history and myth?

If one wants celtic kindred my suggestions are the Bron from Bloodlines: the Legendary, the Vedma from Ordo Dracul and making up your own homebrew stuff by tweaking ideas from either folklore or literature like, let's say, the Burakumin from 1e Requiem as the Cauldron-Born from Prydain, for a funky example.

Just remembered some things that might also throw a bit of a monkeywrench in the OP's list too:
                        - The Annunaki, a Gangrel (and/or Ventrue) bloodline of mesopotamian roots from Invictus.
                        - The Gorgon, one (or several) Ventrue bloodline(s) harkening to ancient Greece, from the Crone book.
                        - The Gallloi from Bloodlines: the Legendary, with their nebulous greek-eastern origins, possibly too.
                        Last edited by Baaldam; 10-13-2018, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X