Dhampir Embrace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dhampir Embrace

I read in the Dhampir book that they can not be embraced, but it was a single line. Is there any more context as to why that is. I would have thought that they would be easier to embrace not harder. Anyone have any thoughts?

That chapter also mentions them being Embraced. The book has a bit of a reputation for that sort of controdiction.

As for why...Maybe it is the dark shadow of fate? They are already claimed.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

I have an opinion on this, and if you search posts can find a stack of fixes to the book.

Basically I detect this line as a throwback to 1e attitudes which amount to "you can't handle it! Don't touch, Storyteller!" It's... tiresome, and better handled in a sidebar about Rule 0-ing issues of dhampir ghouldom (another "no touchie!" point) after saying something like "for some reason the embrace of dhampir doesn't always take and no one knows why."

Instead, we have this and other editing fiascoes in the book that throw up hard "NO" points without explanation and frankly destroy story value.

My solution is simply to present Merits that work around the flaws of the book and let players decide to what extent they want their dhampir (or ghouls) to deviate from bog-standard.

Oh, you want a justification for no ghouling or embrace? Um. Well let's go with "shield of fate protects their soul!" Or something like that. Call it a mystery. Better yet, call each dhampir unique.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Heard somewhere in book that some dhampir rose as a revenant and was trying to resurrect a dead clan

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
          Heard somewhere in book that some dhampir rose as a revenant and was trying to resurrect a dead clan

One simple way to rig it for the characters involved would be to set their destiny as a dhampir to "become/avoid becoming a revenant on death" or "become/avoid becoming embraced". That would effectively hack the immunities that "everyone knows" dhampir have. Or whatever the excuse in canon might be.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
            If memory serves they used blood sorcery for that, rather than the conventional embrace.

Comment

Working...
            X