No announcement yet.

Guide to the Night live on DRPG!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I miss the "Tier 3" advice in this book, or did they drop it when the project changed hands?

Not mad, but genuinely wanting to know if I missed it the page/chapter.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by bkwrm79 View Post
      I'm torn... I want a new VTR book. Some of the settings (cyber vamps, medieval? vamps, noir vamps) sound interesting. Others sound interesting but very unlikely to help with any games I might play or run. But if the general advice is pretty basic, and there's a lot of stuff that's obvious and/or in other books, is there enough useful page count to be worth the $20? I'm torn, as the last books, while interesting, were also not as directly useful as I hoped.

How much detail do the coteries thing and the colonies thing get? Those sound potentially pretty useful.
      I thought coteries/colonies got a pretty good word count. There is advice on creating coteries with deeper backgrounds, as well as NPC coteries and how to use them.

There is also some cool advice on creating some novel mechanics to emphasize different themes of the game. The book makes explicit some clan/covenant specific themes and gives advice on city creation.

I kind of felt like the alt-settings got too much space. I was hoping there would be a bit of expansion of the default setting. I also was sad that the tier content seemed to have been cut.

Side note -- (and I super don't want to start an art argument) the art looks great. I've really been loving everything since A Thousand Years of Night.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
        Did I miss the "Tier 3" advice in this book, or did they drop it when the project changed hands?

Not mad, but genuinely wanting to know if I missed it the page/chapter.
        It just flat isn't in the book. No explanation has been given.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

When I read the ToC I was like nope, not for me. From the reviews here I see I choose right. Hey, they tried something and it didn't work out, it happens to us all.

I'm still looking forward to spilled blood, but after seeing the reviews of this book, I think they should really rethink Broken Mirror (or whatever it was called), that vampire shards book as I don't see it being popular.

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
            It just flat isn't in the book. No explanation has been given.
            The tier 3 part was the one interesting part I'd heard about ironically, it was the one part I was looking forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
              When I read the ToC I was like nope, not for me. From the reviews here I see I choose right. Hey, they tried something and it didn't work out, it happens to us all.

I'm still looking forward to spilled blood, but after seeing the reviews of this book, I think they should really rethink Broken Mirror (or whatever it was called), that vampire shards book as I don't see it being popular.
              To be fair, the settings in the book are not detailed enough to be shards. What annoys me is that the 'shard seeds' eat up a lot of the book, to the point there is very little info on how to guide stories in the vein of Vampires in Requiem. In short, I feel the book is not a 'Guide to the Night'.

Broken Mirror on the other hand, is a dedicated shard book, focusing on a single change to the setting (albeit, I expect some variations within in regards to the 'hows and whys') so I imagine it won't suffer from the diffusion of trying to fit a wide variety of content. Which I think contributed in how Guide is perceived as less than what we hoped for.

After all it is not like the content is bad, per say. It is not what we were expecting or as widely applicable as we hoped for, certainly. It is not a players guide and does not feel (but can function as) a storyteller's guide...
              It just feels anemic, like there was a disagreement behind the scenes and compromised were made. It is a shame, because the different sections of the book have potential if they were expanded upon. It is almost like they tried to write half of two separate books...

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                After all it is not like the content is bad, per say. It is not what we were expecting or as widely applicable as we hoped for, certainly.
                ...which if I recall, is the sentiment people are feeling right now about the entire VtR2e gameline direction?

Comment

They did change developers and were in the middle of a few books at the time...It might take until all the projects that changes hands' are released for them to reach solid ground.

Comment

Working...
                  X