[Homebrew] Septemi (Daeva Bloodline) Reimagining

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Homebrew] Septemi (Daeva Bloodline) Reimagining

A friend of mine wants to play a Septemi (Daeva bloodline) in a VTR 2e game I'm running, so I decided to take a look at the Septemi and see what I could do to convert it to 2e. What started as a conversion ended up becoming a complete reimagining. I even changed the lore a little bit!

So, keep in mind, this is no longer the same Septemi as you found in the 1e material, but in spirit it's the same. With that in mind, I'd like to share my work with you and in return I hope to get some constructive feedback. If you decide that there is something you don't like about this or think it won't work, let me know, but please also propose an alternative or fix. Thanks in advance!

Here is the link to the Google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

This looks interesting and entirely usable. My main concern would be with Veritate, which is highly efficient at cutting down BP (I assume it only works on BP) for Agg damage. I'd suggest inflicting Agg equal to the wielder's BP on every use--whether or not successful (and with that dice pool, it will succeed!).

Otherwise the logical (to gamers) option will be to use Non Nobis and Veritate in every conflict and win by knocking down everyone's BP in a deniable manner. "It's not my fault God's tired of you and your Elysium. Oh this? I leaned on the burner at home--clumsy me!"

--Khanwulf

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Khanwulf !
      To explain: the idea is that Veritate actually works on every supernatural. Using it on mages would knock down their Gnosis, using it on werewolves would knock down their Primal Urge, and using it on Strix would knock down their Shadow Potency, etc.
      I like your fix to Veritate, though I do feel it might screw with high-BP Septemi a bit too much. How about changing it to gaining Aggravated damage equal to every success rolled by the user?

Edit: Oh and Veritate is definitely not deniable. Maybe I should add a bit more to the description to make it more clear, but the power works similar to what you can see here (the referenced scene starts at 26:08 if the link doesn't automatically take you there):

https://youtu.be/z9m8yhDGcI4?t=1568
      Last edited by Ventrue Life; 11-02-2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ventrue Life View Post
        Thanks for the feedback Khanwulf !
        To explain: the idea is that Veritate actually works on every supernatural. Using it on mages would knock down their Gnosis, using it on werewolves would knock down their Primal Urge, and using it on Strix would knock down their Shadow Potency, etc.
        I like your fix to Veritate, though I do feel it might screw with high-BP Septemi a bit too much. How about changing it to gaining Aggravated damage equal to every success rolled by the user?

Edit: Oh and Veritate is definitely not deniable. Maybe I should add a bit more to the description to make it more clear, but the power works similar to what you can see here (the referenced scene starts at 26:08 if the link doesn't automatically take you there):

https://youtu.be/z9m8yhDGcI4?t=1568

Yeah I got the idea the goal was to affect every supernatural: effectively the power set channels True Faith ala oWoD to some extent. Your example video clip reinforces that, and provokes additional ideas.

One thing first, however: 2e CofD games have purposefully stepped away from mechanics based on number of successes, mechanically speaking. There are exceptions I assume (won't look up at the moment), but generally the magnitude of effect hinges on success/critical, or the number of dots in a certain ability (such as BP). This is a speed and predictability factor for the game, where you don't have to do math to know what your power accomplishes, and the Storyteller knows ahead of time what your character is capable of, versus, say, calibrating opponents for a certain number of average successes, etc.

Now, that said, you're you and your table can surely handle it, and likewise I kinda enjoy the continuum of impact successes bring... but's it's a design choice at work to be aware of.

Ok, so my comment on deniability was based on Non Nobis imposing identity fudging (Obfuscate), so a character could flip it on, then wack someone with Veritate, while--oh--probable their mates tear the bastard apart. If that's not enough, we can assume everyone is under Praesidium and supernatural powers will be bouncing off them. Sure, our Septemi friend here will be walking away with a point or few of Agg, but that's what blood and Willpower are for. Maybe even a spot of torpor since Humanity is probably pretty good. It's a bummer going frenzy after watching your coterie trip the target in half, but if they know ahead of time that risk it can be managed. This... may be more utility than you intended--or not!

Keep in mind that I do like the powerset and writeup.

SO. If the video clip is a measure of your target [looks like "turn undead" frankly], what could we do with it? Well the priest is taking a concentrated action to, um, direct the Holy Solar Wind at the vamp. So you could make the Devotion similarly sustained. The effect also seemed to end without inflicting lasting damage, though it was hard to tell. So you could make Veritate a sustained power that reduces the target's Supernatural Power stat by the Septemi's BP (to a minimum of one, or zero on a critical success--let's be mean here). The target also has his movement reduced by the Septemi's Presence rating, for any effort to approach the Septemi (on a critical success his movement is reduced to zero for attempts to approach the Septemi). Damage should be sustained by the Septemi when the power ends (this is kinda important). The target may accept the Beaten Down Tilt to end the effect early, and if he does so damage sustained by the Septemi is converted to Lethal instead of Agg.

Another approach (a different Devotion?) would be to turn the Septemi into a beacon for the effect, hit everyone in line of sight for the duration, and etc. That would be the kind of conflict-ending supernatural tacnuke that burns five Vitae and a Willpower, as well as inflicting self-Agg. The key is keeping in mind what the desired end effect is: removing the ability to supernaturally harm so they can repent in their weakness? Or laying on curses so your buds can rip their face off?

Moving on, you could make Spiritus Sancti effective at [temporarily] breaking spiritual control over a target, such as through Urged and Claimed Conditions, or certain Discipline and other supernatural powers. It rips blood bonds out by the root, but could curiously provide a scene of normalecy to others suffering under compulsion or direction. Or... you could make that into another Devotion.

Similarly, Benedictus Sanguis could apply the Closed Condition on the target for the duration, adding the Septemi's BP to attempts to force a possession. This gives it utility for other vamps as well, who may be concerned about Strix (or stranger things). And again, this could be a different Devotion.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Khanwulf those are all legit amazing ideas! Something to ponder over. Whether I'll implement all of your ideas remains to be seen but I'm certainly going to look and see what I can fit in.

To clarify a little about how I currently intended things: the idea is that the effect of lowering the Potency of the enemy with Veritate will only last as long as a number of days/nights equal to the Septemi's own Blood Potency. That being said, maybe it should only last for the scene, or indeed only last while the Septemi keeps channeling her light. It would mean the Septemi can't do anything else during combat while she is channeling her light, but knowing the player who is going to play a Septemi in my game, I know he'd have no problem with that.

I like the idea of reducing speed while the light is being channeled, and I definitely also like the idea of having a Devotion dedicated to ending combat early by practically making everyone weak and useless. That's something I kinda sorta already weaved into the Veritate Devotion as it currently is written by applying the Blinded Tilt to everyone with lower Stamina than the Septemi's rolled successes (which will probably be most participants who don't have Resilience). Something to think about as well.

Also, where can I find the Closed Condition? I'm not sure if I've ever seen that one!

Thanks again my dude, you're being extremely helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Ventrue Life View Post

Also, where can I find the Closed Condition? I'm not sure if I've ever seen that one!

Thanks again my dude, you're being extremely helpful.
            IIRC Closed shows up in WtF. Now I could be wrong because I do remember the default for everything is closed (to spiritual influence), and that is overcome by the Open Condition. If I'm in error, a Devotion could just end the Open Condition, which will expel possessing entities as a side effect. (Again, IIRC.)

One thing you could do is present the core Devotion set to your player as "known" abilities, and briefly outline any others you consider "in scope" for PC creation as desired. Let him extend the setting.

Pleased as always to be of service.

--Khanwulf

Comment

A Closed Condition would be interesting to see if it looks down something to prevent other Manifestation Conditions to be placed on it, but as far as I've looked (which is in the WTF Condition Appendix and Manifestation Condition list) it doesn't seem to exist.

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                A Closed Condition would be interesting to see if it looks down something to prevent other Manifestation Conditions to be placed on it, but as far as I've looked (which is in the WTF Condition Appendix and Manifestation Condition list) it doesn't seem to exist.
                Yeah then I'm remembering the default state. That said, custom Conditions are an assumed tool for the ST, so as you say, a Devotion could serve to lock down the target.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Working...
                X