X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
    One thing they DO have in common.

Hatred for the Sanctum

but that's more likely an uneasy alliance, then being the same organization your right.
    And still we have exceptions for that- after all, it was suggested again and again that the ones to teach the secrets of Theban Sorcery to the Sanctum in the first place were members of the ancient cults of Egypt. Even the Testament claims that those sorceries were gained from egyptian vampires by Daniel, if I'm not mistaken.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Actually I'm pretty sure the Testament just implies that they just found records of the Sorcery just written in a cave randomly so it makes it seem like its thanks to the Angel they found it. In Requiem of Rome tho its pretty much stated that Theban Sorcery actually came from the Mekhet which was living in Thebes and they just taught the Lancea as they were converted, along with some other interesting hints. Like how at least one of the Dark Saints was a Mehket rather then just being an unknown clan of Lonignus. Which puts the whole thing on what's what in question

Comment

Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
        Your ideas intrigue me. Praytell, using your hypothetical Indian blood magician, could you make a more...traditional(?) style of blood sorcery, perhaps as a rough analog to Theban Sorcery? Secrets of the divine, and so-forth?
        Well, Theban Sorcery is basically the magic of the Man/Curse which makes the Kindred into Damned. For the Lancea, it is expressed by the vampires being "dark angels", who do evil in order to remind the kine of their faults and serve as the incarnation of their sins. As such, they serve order in the form of God's "divine punishment". I assume that the original egyptian users of Theban Sorcery had similar system, based around judging the dead compared to Maat, as well as the Muslim sect which found that magic independently. I think that if Indian vampires were to develop a Theban Sorcery equivalent, it should use a similar methodology- I would based it around Samsara and the cycle of reincarnation. Those vampires would believe that the Embrace is their reincarnation, yet another step in the cycle of death and rebirth- one they need to escape in order to reach Nirvana. They may actually be a Golconda cult- but not a nice one. Self punishment and mutilation, punishing themselves for the sins they have committed in life. Theban Sorcery would be the result of such dark enlightenment, and it would probably include isolation and detachment from the previous life of the vampire. Testing your Humanity in such extremes of detachments taught to be the greatest challenge to the soul, which would either free the dead or damn it to the depths of Neraka. Again, that's just some brainstorming without preforming any real research upon the subject.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Hmm. I would have thought that, if the Beast magic focused on a vampire's connection to the Asuras, then its Man counterpart would deal more with the influence of the Devas. Not necessarily nice, of course (Theban Sorcery's Old Testament-style miracles spring to mind), but still a divine counterpart.

Comment

Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
            Hmm. I would have thought that, if the Beast magic focused on a vampire's connection to the Asuras, then its Man counterpart would deal more with the influence of the Devas. Not necessarily nice, of course (Theban Sorcery's Old Testament-style miracles spring to mind), but still a divine counterpart.
            Well, I've intentionally strayed from this idea in order to make the covenants independent from each other. If you were to use the "Cruac Asura vs Theban Deva" kind of split, I would recommend the two sects being parts of a single covenant- one which research both the secrets of gods and demons, with each sect have its own agenda and ideology, yet both being close enough in origin and have reasons to operate under a single paradigm. Something like the Wings of the Camarilla, but still much, much closer. I would imagine that in such a case changing sects may be frowned upon, but much less dramatic than suddenly changing a covenant. It would probably be something like if the Circle and the Lance would share a single mythos, where Theban is connected to the God and Cruac was related to the Serpent/Lilith/the Devil/pick your demon.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

double post

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
              X