Reworking Mekhet Clan Bane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reworking Mekhet Clan Bane

I am making a homebrew and I don´t now if this is shared but I always found that the mekhet clan weakness needed to be more concrete so i reworked it and added a clan blessing designed to be the carrot to the stick that encourages the way the clan members are.The idea here is to reinforce the stalker aspect of the mekhet clan.

Clan Blessing (Creatures of Darkness)
    " Vampires are creatures of the night but the Mekhet are creatures from the darkness , in the lack of light they find themselves revitalized , like if they where able to breathe after keeping their breath.In this scenario the mekhet recive a bonus of +2 dice to all actions their physical actions and discipline activation , a lot of Mekhet end using obfuscate subconsciently to hide themselves in the darkness not feeling confortable in bright light becoming stalkers in the dark that only abandom it when necessary.Other clans find it creppy."

Clan Bane (Obsession)
    "Mekhet are stalkers that hide in the shadows and all the members of the clan have an obsesion: a lot of them spy a person who uses to be his touchstone , some pursue magical knowledge , others seek to know the secrets of their peers or travel around resolving mysteries. After a session if a Mekhet hasnt learned something about their obsesion they lost one WP instead of gaining one back"

PD:I am open to alternate suggestions , criticism and I would like to have feedback on the mechanic aspect.Later I would publish redesigned clan weakness + blessing for the other clans.Also what is your perception of the bane severity mechanic?
    Last edited by Leandro16; 11-22-2018, 03:57 PM.

Hunger pool

I'd make it scale with Humanity, since the other banes are designed to tie into the Humanity system somehow. Here's the one that I'm using in one game at the moment; what do you think of it for flavor?

The Tenebrous Curse: The Shadows are creatures of darkness, and every fiber of their being, down to the Beast itself, is carefully tuned to pull in information from every source. This is both a blessing ((Auspex)) and a curse—when a Shadow is exposed to overwhelming stimulus (light bright enough to blind a human, for example, or painfully loud noise), their Beast can't process everything that's happening and shuts down, capping all rolls by their Humanity.

One that's closer to your idea but still involves Humanity:

The Obsessive Curse: Mekhet tend to lose themselves in their individual pursuits, eventually becoming defined by those obsessions more than any other characteristic. After an exceptional success or dramatic failure with a specialty, roll your Humanity as a dice pool; on a failure, gain the Persistent Obsession condition based around that specialty. For example, a Mekhet with Occult (Ancient Cultures) might become obsessed with learning a dead language, or with connecting some newfound knowledge to other fields.

If you want to give them a blessing, one thing I liked from Changeling 2e was the kith blessing rules: perhaps Mekhet get an exceptional success on 3 when acting in complete darkness, while Gangrel get an exceptional on 3 when acting in coordination with their pack, etc?

Comment

Draconis Thanks for your Feedback! I got a lot of good ideas from it

Your tenebrous curse it is interesting and makes more sense than the original mekhet weakness while also keeping the extra vulnerability to light aspect.Way better than the canon and I like it a lot but it is something i would do when auxpex fails or as a bane related to the use of the discipline.For this I would like something that makes the Mekhet more prone to be stalkers as i want to reinforce that aspect of the clan.

The idea of using humanity to cap things seems good and maybe i will use it to measure the bane severity of the mekhet clan curse (The fact that some breaking point are related to reaching some blood potency LVs help to acomplish the idea that I have in mind of measuring bane severity with a mix of humanity and blood potency).But I would have to think into this as i don´t want to make the clan curse to much harss but instead make it a some sort of carrot and stick along clan blessing to reinforce the way a clan works and the characteristics of it´s members

Maybe I will make the Obsessive Curse limit dicepools by humanity for all rolls non related to the pursuit of knowledge about your obsession unless you spend a WP or attain knowledge about your obsession.Older Mekhet become distant stalkers scared to leave the darkness and from the mechanic and narrative standpoint a scene with the player reading an occult book , stalking their prey before feeding or his touchstone doesnt take more than 5 mins of derailment from the main plot and there is always the option of paying the WP point.

Hunger pool

Comment

What about just using the standard Obsession (X) Condition?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

The standard Obsession condition is excellent, but it's not meant to be a long-term thing as far as I can tell. See, for example, the Omen Sensitivity merit, which gives you a new Obsession every time you use it instead of a single lasting Obsession (Omens). That's why I give out new Obsessions every time they exceptionally succeed at something.

Comment

Ah. That works.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Draconis View Post
              If you want to give them a blessing, one thing I liked from Changeling 2e was the kith blessing rules: perhaps Mekhet get an exceptional success on 3 when acting in complete darkness, while Gangrel get an exceptional on 3 when acting in coordination with their pack, etc?
              Unrelated -- but I have been trying to think of a Gangrel specific merit to replace "Pack Leader" and integrate a Hunger/Atrocity Die mechanic. I think this is a really good direction for it (all of my ideas were kind of overpowered or boring). Something like "Effect: Count 3 successes as a dramatic success when doing x. Drawback: Each time you use this merit, replace one normal die in all future die pools with an Antrocity Die for the rest of the session."

Comment

REWORKED CLAN BANES PROTOTYPE

Daeva:
                Personally i was thinking in giving the Daeva the same clan curse as the Toreador in bloodlines blush of life doesnt cost blood and buying humanity is 1 XP cheaper but you degenerate faster (you have 1 dice less to your degeneration rolls).Honestly I dont know why they didnt do that before.

Gangrel:Rolls to resist frenzy being capped by humanity is an already good clan bane , i would add as a blessing having 3 extra health levels to emphatize the survival aspect.

Mekhet:I decided to INVERSE my idea , they get a bonus of +2 to all physical rolls if they stalk or learn someting about their obsesion , the bane will be that in front of great stimulus their dice pools are limited by their humanity unless they pay a WP.

Nosferatu:I want them to be more like in the masquerade so i would make them unable to use the blush of life + I would limit their social interaction dice pool with non touchstones humans to their humanity.Failures in social rolls become dramatic no matter what.To compensate they get one automatic succes in all intimidation rolls with are unafected by their clan bane.

Ventrue:I want them to be more agresive and ambitious so I would give them a + 2 bonus to all rolls against other vampires as his beast comands the posible drawbacks are
                • A) Their feeding requirements are calculated as if their blood potency were 1 points bigger and they cannot feed from animals.
                • B) When they get a dramatic failure their dicepools are limited by humanity (the bigger they are , the harder they fall) in case this is the selected weakness the option A) would be the one of a bloodline.

Pd:Probably i would go with the option B) in the ventrue case.
                PD2:Feedback please

Hunger pool

Comment

Originally posted by DubiousRuffian View Post

Unrelated -- but I have been trying to think of a Gangrel specific merit to replace "Pack Leader" and integrate a Hunger/Atrocity Die mechanic. I think this is a really good direction for it (all of my ideas were kind of overpowered or boring). Something like "Effect: Count 3 successes as a dramatic success when doing x. Drawback: Each time you use this merit, replace one normal die in all future die pools with an Antrocity Die for the rest of the session."
                  This is just my opinion but while hunger and a atrocity system are good concept the dice mechanic behind isnt

Personally I would prefer to use a hunger pool like the one in my sign or an inverse humanity scale that measures how inhuman is your character the more dots you have

It would be a neat way of calculating bane severity , we could use the next formula Bane severity= (Blood Potency + Atrocity) /2 rounded up the dicepools cannot go below 1when substracting the bane severity.

Hunger pool

Comment

Atrocity dice…now that's a name I haven't heard in a while…

I like that Gangrel merit though! Perhaps three successes are exceptional to Ride the Wave, if you're emphasizing their bestial side? Or to Lash Out?

Also, you've probably heard of V5's hunger dice; what do you think of those?

Comment

Honestly all those blessings sound quite powerful, and if you use them clan is going to shape a character much more. Which is fine if that's what you're going for, just be aware.

For Daeva, penalizing breaking points tends to lead to a very very rapid downward spiral (especially if someone e.g. Lashes Out at them). The Julii had that as their 1e flaw and it was far and away the worst of the clan flaws.

For Nosferatu, capping social pools by Humanity is what 1e did, and many players didn't love it. It has a tendency to level out differences and make it so your best pool isn't any different from your worst pool, while not actually making people with low pools fail any more. 2e's "treat Humanity as 2 lower for social penalties" is a nice fix that hurts all pools the same.

For Ventrue, the "feeding requirements one point higher" as you wrote it applies in exactly one scenario: a BP5 vampire now needs to drink Vitae. (Since they can't drink from animals to start with.)

Comment

Working...
                      X